kmzamani

Tandem instructor course

Nowdays I am working and studying to get Tandem instructor rating and answering the Sigma Exams , 

I managed to answer most of the questions but am in trouble with few of them and could not find the answers in any source .

please help me by answering these questions :

6 - If a drogue is deployed after 20 seconds of tandem free fall, how long will it take to slow the tandem down to 120 mph? 
69 - A novice Tandem Instructor may be accompanied by a free fall photographer after having made_______ tandem jumps. 
83- Describe the correct procedure for a Horseshoe malfunction.  

96- List the primary causes of tandem incidents that resulted in a fatality  

Those are all in there, go back to the book grasshopper. ;P You should understand this stuff.

I will throw you one bone. The answer for 96 is right in the explanation the design of the sigma main deployment system.

• Like 1

96- List the primary causes of tandem incidents that resulted in a fatality  

That last one has always thrown me. The Sigma manual (at least the last I checked) has nothing listed under "incident", "accident", or "fatality" that is in any way relevant. So "read the manual" seems not to help??

I always came up with some B.S. generic answer that seemed to pass. Duh, 'not following proper procedures' for example.

Luckily the DZ I'm at took that question out of the tandem exam in recent years. We have customized versions of the exam that are still really long, but cut out some of the less useful stuff, and add in DZ specific stuff. (We're in Canada, so we don't care as much about US lawyers. We still try to adhere to industry best practices.) 

(edited)

"On all other tandem container systems, the main container closing and the drogue attachment are two separate systems, at two different locations. While not unreasonably dangerous, such container systems have inherent problems. They are complex and time consuming to pack, and this complexity sets up the possibility of multiple packing errors. But by far the most important problem is, that these systems allow the possibility of the main container accidentally opening, while the drogue is still attached. Since 1989, this scenario has killed 9 tandem pairs. It is the leading single cause of tandem fatalities, accounting for almost one third of the total. By combining the container closing and drogue attachment systems, the new Tandem Sigma eliminates this deadly malfunction."

Do they no longer discuss the main deployment system in the sigma manual? I am being honest, the answers are in there.

What do we call it when the main container opens before the rogue is released? An .................   .................. deployment. Fill in the blanks.

Edited by DougH

"On all other tandem container systems, the main container closing and the drogue attachment are two separate systems, at two different locations."

Ah thanks,  I mistakenly thought the question on the test would relate to potential dangers of Sigmas in a test for Sigma instructors on how to jump Sigmas. That answer about system design was "too obvious" to me, given that I rigged the DZ's first Sigmas 18 years ago...

Still, if they ask for "primary causes", I'd like to see a list of all tandem accidents say in the last 10 years and have causes listed by frequency....