Mike 90

Sanity Check On First Rig

I'm putting together my first rig because I'm taller (6 foot 3) and can't find a whole lot in the way of a complete rig. After speaking with a few instructors I thought settling on a 190 main would be a good start, so I've got a used sabre 2 coming in with about 100 jumps on it. Wings is willing to offer a veteran discount, so I'm going to have a custom container made that'll fit me. I'm thinking I'll stick a used 190 reserve in there as well, but can't find any used, so may have to buy new. I'm looking at the firebird rush reserve. Same with the AAD, so I'll likely buy new. Can I ask Wings to format the container to be able to fit the next down size to a 170 within that same container? I'm hoping to be able to stay in the container for longer than just the one canopy size since it will fit me right. 

Does this approach make sense? Do you see where I'm doing something wrong or where I could be doing something better? Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

-Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike 90 said:

I'm putting together my first rig because I'm taller (6 foot 3) and can't find a whole lot in the way of a complete rig. After speaking with a few instructors I thought settling on a 190 main would be a good start, so I've got a used sabre 2 coming in with about 100 jumps on it. Wings is willing to offer a veteran discount, so I'm going to have a custom container made that'll fit me. I'm thinking I'll stick a used 190 reserve in there as well, but can't find any used, so may have to buy new. I'm looking at the firebird rush reserve. Same with the AAD, so I'll likely buy new. Can I ask Wings to format the container to be able to fit the next down size to a 170 within that same container? I'm hoping to be able to stay in the container for longer than just the one canopy size since it will fit me right. 

Does this approach make sense? Do you see where I'm doing something wrong or where I could be doing something better? Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

-Mike

spend the extra money on a BETTER container.  And yes, the 190 should be the biggest, so you'll be able to down size to that wingsuit friendly 170 7 cell! ;P   SERIOUSLY, get a vector or better!  

Id agree there are better containers than a wings but also why a firebird rush.   Its a real off brand reserve and i would say any subsequent resale value on it would be low compared with the more established names like PD, Icarus, Aerodyne reserves.

10 hours ago, skytribe said:

Id agree there are better containers than a wings but also why a firebird rush.   Its a real off brand reserve and i would say any subsequent resale value on it would be low compared with the more established names like PD, Icarus, Aerodyne reserves.

Call me crazy, but in this game, I roll with the HIGHEST bidder... This isn't where you cut corners.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, timski said:

Call me crazy, but in this game, I roll with the HIGHEST bidder... This isn't where you cut corners.  

i would disagree with a first rig, but that's just me.  i got a rig for $500 with no aad, looked for the cheapest gear i could find since i won't have it too long.  i can downsize a canopy in this container, then when i get ready to downsize again, i will get a container made for me, probably the only one since i'm 50.  if i want to downsize again, i should be able to, but will probably choose not to.  when i get rid of this container, i can give it away if it's still airworthy and not lose anything.  now an aad i would only ever buy new, but i haven't reached the point where i want one of those yet.

And you may get to use a reserve on your next jump.   Id not seen or repacked a firebird reserve so i dont know much about them and that is the rub.    PD is the brand leader, great track record, great quality.

AAD’s - they are sophisticated devices which self check on startup and can be sent for testing/software updates at any time.   Id have no problem buying used AAD from the 3 major brands Airtec, AAD or Mars

23 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i got a rig for $500 with no aad, looked for the cheapest gear i could find since i won't have it too long

Sketchy strategy, IMO. Low price should not be your main consideration, *especially* when you're buying used gear -- cheap new gear will be workable; cheap used gear is a gamble. I can't tell you how many times people have come to me with their "great deal" used gear, for me to then find on inspection that there's a ton of stuff wrong with it that they need to spend hundreds of dollars to address before putting it in the air.

It may have worked out well for you, but if it did, it's because you got lucky!

To the OP - you can't find a used "190" reserve because few manufacturers make that specific size. You'll easily find a used PD 176 Reserve with a little patience, and maybe even an Optimum 193. There are lots of used gear groups on facebook, so cruise those a bit while you're waiting for your new container. I'd personally recommend a used PDR over a new Rush, for reasons already expressed above...

• Like 1

you are correct and i am in no way advocating for op to try to find a deal like i got, just presenting an alternative which most folks fail to consider.  i have a container i got that i can't use, but i only paid $100 for it, and it will go to use for a rig to use while trying parasailing this year, so it's not a total loss.  i also have an extra main canopy that i got for $200 that was going to be a reserve until it didn't have a data card.  if that had not been airworthy, we would be parasailing now.  the best advice i would give for getting gutter gear is not to spend more than you can lose and have it inspected thoroughly before even thinking about using it. 

On 6/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, sfzombie13 said:

i would disagree with a first rig, but that's just me.  i got a rig for $500 with no aad, looked for the cheapest gear i could find since i won't have it too long.  i can downsize a canopy in this container, then when i get ready to downsize again, i will get a container made for me, probably the only one since i'm 50.  if i want to downsize again, i should be able to, but will probably choose not to.  when i get rid of this container, i can give it away if it's still airworthy and not lose anything.  now an aad i would only ever buy new, but i haven't reached the point where i want one of those yet.

My statement is more directed in the accessory devices, not the container/harness...  My first rig is an older wings that came with a sabre (with two holes)!!  So yeah, I get the sentiment! ;)

I haven't seen any suggestions for a used container with a harness resize.

It's a potential alternative to spending all that money on a new H/C.

If you find a container that fits the canopies you want, get the serial number from the seller.

Go to the manufacturer's website and find the 'measure for a harness' page. 

Get yourself measured. You can't do it yourself. Any comptenent rigger or tailor (or anyone who can read a tape measure and read and follow directions) can do it.

Send both the S/N from the H/C and your measurements to the manufacturer and inquire about a harness resize. Some stuff is easy & fairly inexpensive. Some stuff (the yoke size in particular) is not. 

I had a similar predicament when I started skydiving and did a similar thing.

New wings container (found a 50% off coupon that I paid $50 for), used PDR, used sabre 2, new AAD. Worked great.

Wings containers can typically hold 3 sizes. Mine was good for 150-190. I had a 190 and 170 in it before I moved on to a better container, but it could definitely hold smaller. Just decrease the closing loop size a little.

Check with the manufacturer to be sure.