1 1
kallend

Biden's VP

I would love to see Tammy Duckworth as the VP pick.  The NYT did an article on her today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/politics/tammy-duckworth-vice-president-joe-biden.html

When my wife(MD) had trouble with Medicare eligibility due to a clerical error, after weeks of getting the run around and no help from our useless congressman Lipinski (a right winger in Dems clothing), it was Duckworth's office that finally got the problem resolved.

15 minutes ago, kallend said:

I would love to see Tammy Duckworth as the VP pick.  The NYT did an article on her today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/politics/tammy-duckworth-vice-president-joe-biden.html

When my wife(MD) had trouble with Medicare eligibility due to a clerical error, after weeks of getting the run around and no help from our useless congressman Lipinski (a right winger in Dems clothing), it was Duckworth's office that finally got the problem resolved.

Agree

Today's NYT has an article about Sen. Duckworth.  I didn't know that it was she who invented the nickname "Cadet Bone Spurs"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/opinion/sunday/tammy-duckworth-biden-2020.html

Whatever his wobbles, Joe Biden has, from the start of his presidential campaign, got one thing exactly right: The 2020 election is a battle for the soul of America. That’s not just a pretty slogan. It’s the stomach-knotting truth — and it’s the frame he should use for choosing his running mate.

It’s why he should pick Senator Tammy Duckworth of Illinois.

She’s a paragon of the values that Donald Trump, for all his practice as a performer, can’t even pantomime. She’s best described by words that are musty relics in his venal and vainglorious circle: “sacrifice,” “honor,” “humility.” More than any of the many extraordinary women on Biden’s list of potential vice-presidential nominees, she’s the anti-Trump, the antidote to the ugliness he revels in and the cynicism he stokes.

Americans can feel good — no, wonderful — about voting for a ticket with Duckworth on it. And we’re beyond hungry for that. We’re starving.

Tell me how Trump campaigns against that. Tell me how he mocks her — which is the only way he knows how to engage with opponents. Or, rather, tell me how he does so without seeming even more obscene than he already does and turning off everyone beyond the cultish segment of the electorate that will never abandon him. Duckworth on the Democratic ticket is like some psy-ops masterstroke, all the more so because it was she who nicknamed Trump “Cadet Bone Spurs.”

I asked her about that on the phone on Thursday, remarking that it was uncharacteristically acerbic of her. “This guy’s a bully,” she said. “And bullies need a taste of their own medicine.”

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Personally I am convinced that Biden's VP is going to become President during the first term, so yes it will be an important pick.

4 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Sky,

I am of the same belief.

Jerry Baumchen

Biden currently has a remaining life expectancy as at inauguration day 2020, of 9 years and trump 11

Which should allow Biden to serve his full term. But trump will not likely serve his full prison term after convictions for his crimes.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

You would bet that she can walk better without any legs than a human with even semi operable legs.

Yes.  I'd bet she can walk down that same ramp better than Trump did.  Not because she had her legs blown off - but because even with two prosthetic legs she's more coordinated and more confident than Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yes.  I'd bet she can walk down that same ramp better than Trump did.  Not because she had her legs blown off - but because even with two prosthetic legs she's more coordinated and more confident than Trump.

Ahhh - But he said "without legs"  - technically that would include prosthetic legs.;)

On 6/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, SkyDekker said:

Personally I am convinced that Biden's VP is going to become President during the first term, so yes it will be an important pick.

He absolutely should not run for a second term if he makes it through the first.  I don't plan to vote for him after this election.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

He absolutely should not run for a second term if he makes it through the first.  I don't plan to vote for him after this election.

At least let the guy get elected and actually have a chance at doing something before stating that you wouldn’t vote for him again?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yoink said:

At least let the guy get elected and actually have a chance at doing something before stating that you wouldn’t vote for him again?

Meh. I mean if he was elected for two terms he would be 86 years old at the end of his second term. And yes there are plenty of remarkable people who remain in outstanding physical and mental condition right the way through their 9th decade they are in a small minority, and the chances of something serious happening or developing skyrocket.

I suppose it would be valid to say that if you're happy with his VP then you wouldn't be bothered if he made it to the end of that term or not, but IMO a situation with prolonged hospitalisation, mental decline, or becoming physically incapable of dealing with the stresses of the offices would be a much bigger deal. Trump has done so much damge to the conventions surrounding constitutional limits on the President and his cabinet that there's going to be enough work to do unpicking that mess without taking too much of a risk of a 25th(?) amendment dispute coming in as well.

14 minutes ago, yoink said:

I will not vote for him in a second term unless the Republican candidate is fundamentally flawed.  For starters he's simply too old.

(edited)
26 minutes ago, DJL said:

I will not vote for him in a second term unless the Republican candidate is fundamentally flawed.  For starters he's simply too old.

I’m fine with that distinction.

If Kanye West was the opposition I’d have to vote for Biden again, for example.

I said a while ago that I’d love a president like NZ’s prime minister. 39 and crushing it. 

Edited by yoink
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yoink said:

If Kanye West was the opposition

Hi Will,

If he was not a complete & total waste of a person already, his so-called 'effort to be president' is even dumber.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Every now & then over the years, I've seen 'celebrities' on tv quiz shows.  It's then that you can see how really shallow they are; with some great exceptions.