1 1
Islander-O

C-172 from tandem jumps

Hi everybody!

Recently, I encountered with a challenge: the DZ wants to use C-172 as an alternative plane for tandem jumps

(when just one tandem passenger). I am 6 feet (1.8 m) tall, around 200 pounds. I tried to find a position for me and for 

a passenger. When I sit on a floor facing a tail, it is difficult to hook up a passenger and check a drogue and handles:

I feel really squeezed between a door and a pilot seat. 

When I kneel, my container messes with the aircraft controls (some knobs and a fuel switch (as the pilot said). 

Q: does anybody have an experience of making tandems from C-172? If Yes, how big you are and how you did it?

Appreciate any input in advance.  

We used a 172 in a pinch several times at my DZ and for an occasional demo. It was not cost effective to use especially when going high for an RW jump or with a tandem pair. To answer your question - we did two tandems (1/lift) from our 172 all with a TI of 180 lbs and students under 200 lbs. In a pinch under the right conditions its feasible but not cost effective even with lighter jumpers.

9 hours ago, gunpaq said:

"...To answer your question - we did two tandems (1/lift) from our 172 all with a TI of 180 lbs and students under 200 lbs. In a pinch under the right conditions its feasible but not cost effective even with lighter jumpers..."

Thank you for your comment. I more concerned about connecting a passenger, about doing all TI checks and an exit.Did your tandem pares sit on a floor or they knelled?  

If you want to exit from a sitting position, you need to attach side hooks before closing the door.

If you want to exit from kneeling, it is easier to attach your student. The only safe exit procedure involves putting one foot on the step and diving towards the tail.

As for the cost of operation, only the higher-powered Hawk XP or Rheims Rocket have enough power (180 hp.) for a reasonable climb rate. The last time I flew a stock Cessna 172, it sometimes topped-out at 5,000' MSL on hot and muggy days with three jumpers onboard.

I have done about 5500 tandems out of a 172 - we had bars across the roof and a vey good step over the wheel. I am 5 foot 8 and 200 plus pounds. With 1 tandem I would have the passenger facing forward beside the pilot and I would sit behind the pilot seat facing to the rear. I would turn around and hook up about 2000 feet before the jump. with 2 tandems we all faced to the rear. You can see the step in one photo and the bars in the other,

-5x 042.JPG

G0019449.JPG

Dear IslanderO,

I still prefer to sit facing the tail, with my student between my knees. For hook-up, I prefer to slide aft until my side rings are clear of the pilot's seat ... which gives me plenty of elbow room.

If an outside cameraman is jumping with us, he gets to sit with his back against the instrument panel, open the door and "spot."

Once the door is open, we scoot our butts forward until we lean firmly against the instrument panel, then swing our left feet out ... onto the step.