Diogenes

Jump Run Dilemma - What Would You Do?

The jump was in the US under US rules. I have no idea what the rules in Canada were at the time but I seriously doubt that Canadian rules at that time would have allowed this jump under those same conditions.

There may have been basically no rules here at the time. Even now there are very few. And the few that there are pertain mostly to demo jumps. There is no repack cycle rule in Canada by law except for demos for example. And no TSO standards for gear either. Only CSPA rules.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

michaelmullins

***"From a legal perspective ...... rules were written after a disasterous jump during the 1960s that saw a dozen(?) jumpers drown in one of the Great Lakes. That disaster caused a rigid rule about all jumps needing to stay VFR."

Actually, no new rules were written. The same rules were in effect then as now. The jump was totally illegal under the rules then as now, rules have not changed.

My recollection is that a plane was trying to jump inland near Lake Erie. Solid cloud layer was present. They decided to get clever and have ATC guide them in by watching their radar blip, and telling them when they were over the airport. Unfortunately, there was another plane in the vicinity at the same time. ATC thought the other blip was the jump plane, and radioed them to jump. It turned out, the jump plane was actually a different blip on the radar screen, and were still out over the frigid water of Lake Erie. Because of the cloud layer, they couldn't confirm they were in the correct spot, and relied solely upon the radar operator. So they jumped, and they died from water landings and hypothermia. Tragic.

gowlerk

The jump was in the US under US rules. I have no idea what the rules in Canada were at the time but I seriously doubt that Canadian rules at that time would have allowed this jump under those same conditions.

There may have been basically no rules here at the time. Even now there are very few. And the few that there are pertain mostly to demo jumps. There is no repack cycle rule in Canada by law except for demos for example. And no TSO standards for gear either. Only CSPA rules.

There are very specific rules in effect in Canada now, from your Canadian Air Regulations General Operating and Flight Rules:

5) Parachute descents shall not be initiated where any part of the descent, including the freefall will be through clouds;

(7) The aircraft shall be a minimum of 500 feet below and 2000 feet horizontally from cloud with a minimum flight visibility of 5 miles when dropping parachutists;

I would also suspect that these cloud rules have been in effect for quite some time.

Mike Mullins
Canadian Rules Researcher

I would also suspect that these cloud rules have been in effect for quite some time.

Mike Mullins
Canadian Rules Researcher

Perhaps. The CARS came into effect in 1996 after a long period of rule making. They replaced the "Air Regulations and Air Navigation Orders". Until that time DZs were not required to have AOCs, and private pilots were just fine. A lot of things changed in Canadian rules for aircraft dropping parachutists at that time.

I seem to remember that jumping through clouds was forbidden before that. I only started in 1992. It could be only legend that the rules were changed in the wake of the Lake Erie tragedy. But that is what I have always been told. I'm sure you are correct about the US rules. You would know.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.