dadbod25

How much extra do you have to pay for life insurance if you skydive regularly and are licensed?

Question

I’m a 49 year old male. I’m 5’11 and weigh 230 lbs. I took my first tandem a few weeks ago and LOVED it! I know I’m older but I would really love to save up and take the AFF course and try to get an A license. Me and the wife agreed I could if I get below 200 lbs. They told her when we took out our life insurance policy a few years ago that mine was much higher because of my weight. That if I could lose some weight it would go down considerably. What the exact number is I don’t know. I need to call and talk to them. But getting under 200 would be a good start for me I think. Plus the drop zone near me charges a fee for every 10 lbs over 200 too. 

Even though I think the chances of dying are very slim, I still want to make sure my wife is taken care of in case anything was to happen to me. And I’ve heard most insurance companies won’t pay if you get killed skydiving. Unless you call ahead and get it added on. So that’s my concern is how much am I gonna fork out extra for insurance to see whether I can afford to do this or not. 
And btw I don’t consider myself a slobby 230. I do have a gut but I’m more muscular than most men from working out and working hard most of my adult life. I do need to lose weight but I still feel like I’m fit enough physically to do the skydiving. At least for a few more years lol  

1 answer to this question

I share your weight issues. Most of my adult life, I weighed 180 or 190 pounds, but an accident left me sitting on the couch too long and my weight ballooned up to 230 pounds. My relative work (belly-flying formation) skills suffered badly from my faster fall rate. When my doctor encouraged me to lose weight, I ate less and hiked more and got my weight under 200 pounds, but the last 20 pounds are going to require lots more hard hiking.

As for life insurance, a while back I chatted with a life insurance agent who told me that if I made fewer than 50 skydives per year, I was a low risk, but increased my risk the more I jumped. Since I was also an active jump pilot back in those days, so I countered by quoting Transport Canada's statistics and accident rates for Private Pilots. PP who fly less than 50 hours per year are considered high risk, whereas PP who fly more than 50 hours per year are considered low risk. 

USPA, CSPA have similar standards for skydiving instructors in that they consider busy instructors to be low risk, but require refresher training if they made fewer than 50 jumps last year.

As an aside, refresher training is good for everyone, which is why USPA, CSPA, etc. host Safety Day every spring.

I never did buy insurance from that agent.

Speaking of hard hiking ... it is sunny out, birds are singing and God told me to take a hike.

See ya!