bamber

8000 Ft Static Line Student Jump?

Can an instructor help a student if the jump is much higher than a typical static jump? For example, if something goes wrong at an 8,000 foot static line jump where the parachute does not open, can the instructor help?

Would an automatic activation device be more useful at 8000 feet, or even a 6000 foot static line jump?

What is the highest a static line beginner jump can be?

Can a static line jump be tandem?

Asking the same question different ways does not change the answer: an instructor cannot fly down to help you on a static line jump, no matter what altitude you jump from.

A student jump = personal responsibility. If you are unable to handle or accept that, you should not jump.

No, you cannot do a tandem static line jump.

Once you are in the process of opening (either opening via static line as you fall from the plane or during typical deployment during AFF) you are on your own. NOBODY can be near you. If they are close enough to do anything, it's either CRW or a canopy collision.

The only way to have an instructor with you during opening is to do a tandem. And while the idea of a "Tandem S/L" is theoretically possible (it would be IAD, not S/L), it's not done that I've ever heard of. It's kind of silly, really. If you're doing a tandem, go to full altitude and get the full experience.

Exit altitude has no impact on AAD function. Do you even understand what they do?
They cut the reserve closing loop at a specific altitude and descent rate. While there are variations, basically you have to be in freefall below 1000' to fire them.

On any jump, for any skydiver, if the AAD fires, you have seriously messed up.

What is it that you are afraid of?

Exactly.

Quit dancing around and say what it is.

You likely aren't afraid of something new or different. And there isn't anything wrong with it.

It sounds like you are afraid of a total. Where nothing opens.

Those are pretty rare. And really easy to recognize and deal with.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

bamber

Can an instructor help a student if the jump is much higher than a typical static jump? For example, if something goes wrong at an 8,000 foot static line jump where the parachute does not open, can the instructor help?

Would an automatic activation device be more useful at 8000 feet, or even a 6000 foot static line jump?

You could do a SL jump from any altitude, no problem.

The problem for a student being under canopy at that altitude is: Where you will end up landing. With the wind behind you, you could fly 7 or 8 miles.

No one is going to let you do that.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

***Can an instructor help a student if the jump is much higher than a typical static jump? For example, if something goes wrong at an 8,000 foot static line jump where the parachute does not open, can the instructor help?

The problem for a student being under canopy at that altitude is: Where you will end up landing. With the wind behind you, you could fly 7 or 8 miles.

Actually... I've been on a three caravan cross-country hop 'n pop where they'd let the staticliners with a few jumps under their belts join in.
The spot was waaaaaay long, so the person who ended up landing closest to the DZ was a staticliner. He landed a mere three km short of the DZ.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Baksteen

******Can an instructor help a student if the jump is much higher than a typical static jump? For example, if something goes wrong at an 8,000 foot static line jump where the parachute does not open, can the instructor help?

Actually... I've been on a three caravan cross-country hop 'n pop where they'd let the staticliners with a few jumps under their belts join in.
The spot was waaaaaay long, so the person who ended up landing closest to the DZ was a staticliner. He landed a mere three km short of the DZ.

That was a crap effort whoever determined the spot.....but the 3 kms illustrates my point perfectly.

Hi Wolf River Joe,

Tandem Static line has been done! it was done at a Dropzone in Ireland a good few years ago. the aircraft that was used was a C185! I believe they did about 10-15 test jumps with both jumpers being tandem masters. as far as I know they never did take up a member of the public. they did have permission to do it as the Authority's said call it a "Test Program" I saw a couple videos from it and the deployments were mostly ok. thankfully after a few test jumps it was knocked on the head!

Obelix is right. A much higher SL exit than typical would probably increase the risk on that particular jump due to the liklihood of an off landing, not decrease it.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do?

Skydiving isn't 'safe', but it's as safe as we can make it. If you're not comfortable with that maybe it's not for you. That's fine - it's not for everyone.

irishrigger

Hi Wolf River Joe,

Tandem Static line has been done! it was done at a Dropzone in Ireland a good few years ago...

Well, I figured that somehow, somewhere, someone did one (or a couple).

Thanks for the info. :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

yoink

Obelix is right. A much higher SL exit than typical would probably increase the risk on that particular jump due to the liklihood of an off landing, not decrease it.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do?

Skydiving isn't 'safe', but it's as safe as we can make it. If you're not comfortable with that maybe it's not for you. That's fine - it's not for everyone.

Which is why bowling is the alternative action sport.

Why am I thinking our mate Bamber is a kid?

obelixtim

That was a crap effort whoever determined the spot.....but the 3 kms illustrates my point perfectly.

Boy, was it ever...:D Incidentally, the experienced people with their handcherchief-sized mains all landed 7-9 km off.
I'm not disagreeing with you though; 3.5Kft is the best exit altitude for SL.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Baksteen

***That was a crap effort whoever determined the spot.....but the 3 kms illustrates my point perfectly.

Boy, was it ever...:D Incidentally, the experienced people with their handcherchief-sized mains all landed 7-9 km off.

I was on that load.... 13 km's out hahahaha
Yeah that spot could have been better.

3.5 K is OK for staticline. I sometimes let students jump higher (6k) if they have more than a few jumps, the winds are low, etc, simply because it is fun for them if they like flying their parachute.

evh

I was on that load.... 13 km's out hahahaha
Yeah that spot could have been better.

13km is a pretty impressive error! :D:D

We did a jump out of a passing Russian military helicopter years ago in the Czech Republic. They managed to blow the spot by 4 miles and put us out over the local town instead of the airport... and I thought that was bad!

[
skydivecat

Asking the same question different ways does not change the answer: an instructor cannot fly down to help you on a static line jump, no matter what altitude you jump from.

A student jump = personal responsibility. If you are unable to handle or accept that, you should not jump.

No, you cannot do a tandem static line jump.

Actually you can do a Tandem Static Line Jump. Some years back, we had a static line student come from another DZ to our AFF only DZ. We have an interface where you can easily connect any sport rig to a Tandem harness. It has a handle where either the Tandem Instructor or the Tandem Student can release the Tandem Student (who has a sport rig on) at any time during the jump, whether in freefall or under canopy. We use this for those that wish to make an intentional cutaway with their sport rig and it also just fun. We have done jumps where the TI has released the passenger in freefall and the passenger then does RW with the TI.

So, we attached this static line student to the TI with the interface on a static line equipped rig. TI exited at 14,500', did a freefall to 6,000', and opened with the student attached. TI then had the static line student arch then released the student. Static line attached to the TI opened the rig, student fell about 200' during the opening, worked perfect, no line twists, no problems. So, we had a student do a freefall (Tandem) and a static line jump on the same jump.

I apologize for not being more clear in my reply. I did not mean to imply it had never been done or never could be done, more that it was not a usual method of student learning that is commonly offered as training anywhere I have seen/jumped. If that is something you do at your dz, then I learned something new.:)
If someone wanting to do a iad/aff student jump is focused on the ability of the instructor being able to fly to them/help/save them, I believe they need to re-evaluate jumping as an iad or aff student and stick to a tandem or not jumping.

skydivecat

I apologize for not being more clear in my reply. I did not mean to imply it had never been done or never could be done, more that it was not a usual method of student learning that is commonly offered as training anywhere I have seen/jumped. If that is something you do at your dz, then I learned something new.:)
If someone wanting to do a iad/aff student jump is focused on the ability of the instructor being able to fly to them/help/save them, I believe they need to re-evaluate jumping as an iad or aff student and stick to a tandem or not jumping.

No apology necessary, I believe we are the only ones to ever do it and you would have no way of knowing about it.

Baksteen

***That was a crap effort whoever determined the spot.....but the 3 kms illustrates my point perfectly.

Did anyone actually know how to calculate the exit point for a high altitude opening/cross country jump?

It takes a little bit more than guess work....

I would have let them walk home....

yoink

Drop a WiDI and extrapolate from there?

Or is there something more sophisticated?

Yep. Like any unusual jump, planning is required if you want to be successful.

A: From ATC obtain a list of wind velocities and bearings for every 1000 feet of altitude to your planned exit altitude. You'd be surprised by the sometimes quite wide variations in wind speeds and headings at different levels.

B: On a map plot the mean wind direction, using the bearings given from ATC for every 1000 feet.

C: For every 30 knots of wind, allow 1 mile of ground travel per 1000 feet, upwind of the DZ. (With a tailwind + canopy speed you should travel 1 mile) and work out your average wind speed from exit altitude to ground level.

D: On your map you can now calculate your exit point upwind from the DZ. So you should allow 1 minute of canopy flight per 1000 feet, and 1 mile of travel per minute if you have an average wind speed of 30 knots.

Its not difficult. I've done quite a few cross countries from 12 grand, and travelled 12 miles or more, to land back at the DZ. Never missed once.

A couple of other considerations to think about:

Have a chase vehicle under the exit point, to follow the load home, and to pick up off landers/lost gear/injuries.

The load(if more than 1 jumper), need to stay together for the whole flight.

Carry phones.

Land near a road if landing off, for ease of pick up.

Have a plan if someone has a mal and has to chop, and someone has to follow the jumper down and watch the cutaway gear and freebag, and to land with the reserve rider. (It is NOT a good idea to ride a malfunction down to lower levels in order to retrieve cutaway gear)

Have the jump pilot verify all jumpers have opened OK after exit, and communicate information to the ground crew.

Plan your jump, and JUMP YOUR PLAN. If conditions change, make a new plan, don't stick to the old one.

Include everyone in your briefing, jumpers, pilot, ground crew, chase crew.

Advise ATC and your local police, in case any whuffos report plane crashes with bail outs (this does happen and the cops won't go off on wild goose chases, if a simple phone call has alerted them of your intentions)

So there.....

wolfriverjoe

Where 'from ATC' does one get a wind report for winds aloft every 1000'?

They should have access to met data, which is usually updated at 4 hourly intervals. They pass local information to pilots.

Get your pilot to ask the tower jocks where he can access updated local weather information.

We do it on the phone....

Nice site! Would be interesting to know how often the forecasts are updated.
Until now I used the local aviation weather bulletins (Belgium and the Netherlands), these are usually updated two or three times per day.

I throw the numbers from the bulletins in an Excel spreadsheet. Together with the opening altitude, minimum altitude over target, descent rate and canopy forward speed it calculates an exit point. Per vertical interval I calculate the drift, sum all these vectors and take the forward speed of the canopy itself into account to get bearing and distance of the exit point.

(Unfortunately the spreadsheet is not in a state that I can share, I threw it together in a hurry and it needs refinement.)

obelixtim

A: From ATC obtain a list of wind velocities and bearings for every 1000 feet of altitude to your planned exit altitude. You'd be surprised by the sometimes quite wide variations in wind speeds and headings at different levels.

B: On a map plot the mean wind direction, using the bearings given from ATC for every 1000 feet.

C: For every 30 knots of wind, allow 1 mile of ground travel per 1000 feet, upwind of the DZ. (With a tailwind + canopy speed you should travel 1 mile) and work out your average wind speed from exit altitude to ground level.

D: On your map you can now calculate your exit point upwind from the DZ. So you should allow 1 minute of canopy flight per 1000 feet, and 1 mile of travel per minute if you have an average wind speed of 30 knots...

I think this was the plan. One big misstake was made: the weather data was incorrect.
During the day the winds were pretty strong, these values were used to calculate the exit point. But we jumped just before sunset, when the winds became almost zero :$