1 1
ryoder

SCOTUS says federal law protects LGBTQ workers from discrimination

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Same speech any 12 year old gives his Mom to avoid another ass whipping. You are still who you are. 

Just as no amount of political correctness or social engineering will ever alter the path of human nature - it simply is what it is. I also know that I am on the right side of history. "Barbarism is the natural state of Mankind...Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." -- Robert E. Howard, Beyond the Black River

17 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Apparently lots of things scare you. Now gay men? Are you worried you may get turned?

Doubt Mark needs "turning" people who are that open in their contempt often get found sucking dick in the bathroom stall of a park.

Only if your dividing line is death. 

Mark is a mercenary. He has spent his life being told what to do and who to aim for, for nothing more than monetary benefit and maybe some personal gratification. The attitude is understandable with that background.

1 hour ago, markharju said:

Just as no amount of political correctness or social engineering will ever alter the path of human nature - it simply is what it is. I also know that I am on the right side of history. 

And the wrong side of morality and just society. But I guess in your position you have to take whatever win you can.

55 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

<face palm>

. . . and people here wonder why there is a refusal to admit you may have made a mistake.

<eyeroll>  

Some truth in that. Was quite a long winded non-apology apology though. Even though he's just admitted deliberate trolling the only thing he's actually apologising for is breaking a specific forum rule. If he was apologising for the message it would be different but just for the technicality... doesn't really cut much ice.

3 hours ago, markharju said:

I apologize to everyone for last night. Not out of fear of reprisal, such as having my account suspended or anything like that, but because it's the right thing to do. And not for my hotheaded opinions, but because I broke a dz.com rule by posting material in this thread which by agreement was inappropriate for the forums. No one's twisting my arm to admit this - it went too far. I suppose we wouldn't be human if we didn't have some strong opinions about where our world is headed, and in my zeal to push buttons I overreached. I'm not going to grovel, but I do admit I was wrong in breaking the rule. In 19 years on dz.com I never broke the rule...I won't do it again -mh

Thank you.

(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Mark is a mercenary. He has spent his life being told what to do and who to aim for, for nothing more than monetary benefit and maybe some personal gratification. The attitude is understandable with that background.

Which attitude do you mean? His attitude about barbarism lifted from a fantasy Conan the Barbarian novel or his offensive, bigoted attitude toward the LGBTQ community. 

Separately, what is it with people who believe that crude, harmful bullshit? Have they never known a gay person? Honestly, like religious beliefs, I'm beginning to think it's more of a brain anatomy or chemistry thing because for damn sure it isn't a logic or fact based thing.

Edited by JoeWeber

... Have they never known a gay person? Honestly, like religious beliefs, I'm beginning to think it's more of a brain anatomy or chemistry thing because for damn sure it isn't a logic or fact based thing.

There is the science of reading what the facts are with regards to gay-straight people's propensity to commit sexual crimes. Then there is the meeting and knowing gay people. Either should dissuade a person from thinking they are a danger to others including children.

But then there are......... who have an agenda based upon.........

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

But then there are......... who have an agenda based upon.........

There are also people who feel that gay people are "the other side" and must be beaten so they can win.

There are also people who feel solidarity with a popular "anti-X" platform and enjoy the feeling of working towards a common goal, reinforced by frequent 'attaboys' on social media.

There are also people who are gay and who feel admitting that would destroy their world.  These people are among the most virulent homophobes out there.

Lots of reasons.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Mark is a computer programmer, who became a mercenary when his job, like so many others, went away. I detest some of his views, but thanks for the apology, Mark. 

Wendy P.

Wendy, you are wonderful but what Mark posted should be met with opprobrium, not understanding or thank you's for the apology. I think it isn't a question of detesting some of his views but rather a question of asking yourself if some of his views are so detestable as to make further inquiry into his other views unnecessary. I submit that standard has been met. 

I don't judge him for being a mercenary any more than I judge him for being a computer programmer who lost his job. I judge him on who he has shown his true self to be. 

Truly, even his attempt at apology showed his disdain for any who do not believe as he does. 

In my opinion reaching out with care to someone so obviously incapable of caring back is a muggs game. Each to their own but I don't have time left in my life for committed bigots.

7 hours ago, markharju said:

Just as no amount of political correctness or social engineering will ever alter the path of human nature - it simply is what it is. I also know that I am on the right side of history.

From my perspective, there are people like this in every generation.  People who knew Muslims were evil and must be slaughtered; God said so!  People who knew that Jews were genetically inferior, and must be cleared away for the master race.  People who totally supported women, as long as they stayed in the kitchen and didn't make silly demands to vote, own property or have a say in who they had sex with.   People who knew that blacks were just naturally shiftless, and were not suited for many jobs.  Sure, let them plant crops, but don't let them get above their station; we'll even give them their own bathrooms!  People who knew that gays were all child-assaulting perverts, just waiting to get their hands on your 8 year old.

And fortunately, when you look at history, those people always fail in the long run.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Mark is a computer programmer, who became a mercenary when his job, like so many others, went away. I detest some of his views, but thanks for the apology, Mark. 

Wendy P.

IMO Mark will come to learn that he doesn't need enemies political, ideological, racial or sexual. If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

His first battle is with himself. He needs to go over,through, under or around the walls he has built.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

IMO Mark will come to learn that he doesn't need enemies political, ideological, racial or sexual. If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

His first battle is with himself. He needs to go over,through, under or around the walls he has built.

That reads like Sun-Tzu. Smart guy, worthy of emulation. Thanks!

8 hours ago, billvon said:

From my perspective, there are people like this in every generation.  People who knew Muslims were evil and must be slaughtered; God said so!  People who knew that Jews were genetically inferior, and must be cleared away for the master race.  People who totally supported women, as long as they stayed in the kitchen and didn't make silly demands to vote, own property or have a say in who they had sex with.   People who knew that blacks were just naturally shiftless, and were not suited for many jobs.  Sure, let them plant crops, but don't let them get above their station; we'll even give them their own bathrooms!  People who knew that gays were all child-assaulting perverts, just waiting to get their hands on your 8 year old.

And fortunately, when you look at history, those people always fail in the long run.

Incomplete - it always cycles. Please see quote by Robert E. Howard. v/r, mh

18 hours ago, markharju said:

Just as no amount of political correctness or social engineering will ever alter the path of human nature - it simply is what it is. I also know that I am on the right side of history. "Barbarism is the natural state of Mankind...Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." -- Robert E. Howard, Beyond the Black River

Robert E. Howard was nothing remotely resembling a barbarian himself -- he wrote Conan the Barbarian. Somehow quoting him as a source of wisdom seems about as self-serving as quoting an African-American minister who says that the police should be funded more. There's always someone out there who agrees with your basest instinct. Using modern technology to find that person, so that you can aspire to barbarianism, seems a little silly.

Mark, you live here, and now. You share a world with these people who have as much right to it as you do. You no more exemplify what's "right" than Skippy the Wonder Dog does.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Mark, you live here, and now. You share a world with these people who have as much right to it as you do. You no more exemplify what's "right" than Skippy the Wonder Dog does.

Wendy P.

You often mention Skippy the Wonder Dog.  Is this the same Skippy that played in the Thin Man movie, or a different Skippy.

(edited)

There's a Skippy the wondermouse kids song out there, but I claim original ownership of the particular combination. Or something like that.

It's really just a riff on yellow-dog democrats, and I'm pretty sure you know that -- I have a gift for belaboring the obvious

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

8 hours ago, markharju said:

Incomplete - it always cycles.

No, it doesn't.  We are not going to re-enslave blacks.  We are not going to ban women from voting.  We are not going to take away the right to marry from anyone.  It moves forward - sometimes in fits and starts, sometimes two steps forward then one step back.  But over the course of history it moves forward.  

And in 50 years people will look at your statements much like people today look at statements from the KKK 50 years ago.

(edited)
5 hours ago, billvon said:

No, it doesn't.  We are not going to re-enslave blacks.  We are not going to ban women from voting.  We are not going to take away the right to marry from anyone.  It moves forward - sometimes in fits and starts, sometimes two steps forward then one step back.  But over the course of history it moves forward.  

And in 50 years people will look at your statements much like people today look at statements from the KKK 50 years ago.

i've recently come across the writings of a guy named peter turchin who said that it cycles, and wrote a paper in 2010 that predicted the current political upheaval.  it's available for direct download here.  it seems the way he did it was to take all the various things that have happened in the past few centuries and put them into a database and looked for patterns.  apparently it was pretty accurate, there were a few articles on it not too long ago also.

i don't think he meant cycles in the same way though.  probably not looking back.

Edited by sfzombie13

15 hours ago, billvon said:

50 years from now, this civilization which you trumpet will be dust.