decompresion

The four times you might quit skydiving

Interesting thread that got dredged up. I made it past hurdle 1, and I guess hurdle 2 since I bought my own gear. I'm severely addicted, and I underestimated how true that descriptor is.

I've given a lot of thought to the financial thing and I've come to a completely fucked-up conclusion: if I ever run out of money to jump, I will get money in whatever way is necessary (without physically hurting anyone).

Severe injury or death is the only thing that I can think that will put a stop to my jumping within the next 5 years.

Past that, I worry about burning out too... but there are so many different disciplines that require focus, dedication and time commitment that I can easily see myself transitioning from one to another.

diablopilot

***+1! You can tell the 3 types of staff jumpers by what they work out when they stand up. The "Neck rub" Cameraman's salute, the "Back Stretch" Tandem Salute, and the "Arm Spin/Shoulder Roll" of the AFFI. One day they realize that the fun has gone out of what they do and that there are other ways to make a living. Hopefully, they just take a break and go back to making some casual fun jumps but a lot them just walk off into the sunset.

I have all three. Am I screwed?

Then you become a jump pilot... ;)
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
My goal is to make every jump a fun and safe one. Blue skies!
Some of my videos...

Damn near quit two years ago when a hard opening (i.e., two seconds) knocked me unconscious. Pulled at 3500, open at 3499, woke up at 1700 having no idea where I was or what I was doing. Some long, hard thinking afterwards.

I knew a guy who was packing when he noticed that one of his links was all the way open and bent severely so that his lines were a miracle from falling off one riser. Left his gear on the packing mat and never came back as far as I know.

There are a jillion reasons for quitting.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

What about the term "Sabbatical" rather than quit? I mean, taking time off from the sport you love because you cannot devote the amount of time you need to so that you are safe and current? I just don't want to be "that guy". You know, the one that shows up once or twice a season, tries to make a jump as if he is current. Sucks in the air, sucks at landing. Then one day, makes a bad call. Breaks his leg..... It happens.

So instead of living in the gray area, I have decided to just take time off. Still visit the DZ, help out where I can, but I will not jump my gear, or with friends. Hard to do with 20+ years in the sport. But necessary.

I would be in Cat 4.

Got about 3-4000 jumps, mainly tdm camera, started getting into smaller canopies but just... got bored.

My skills plateaued in pretty much every aspect, I didn't feel like starting over again being a spud in the free-fly realm, and I just felt like it would never click for me in terms of becoming a super-duper canopy swooper (not that I put too much effort there, I was purely recreational, but the canopy ride quickly became the funnest part of jumping for me)... the drive out to the DZ and back was a drag and when I realized I was just going out there to fill some time on the weekend, it dawned on me that it was time to quit.

It really sucked when I made that decision as it was something I NEVER thought would happen to me. Felt like I was giving up on myself in a way.

I miss the folks I met and obviously still feel somewhat connected to the sport (since I am perusing the board on a daily basis and posting once in a blue moon), but feel essentially zero compulsion to do another jump ever, and don't regret quitting one iota nowadays (probably cuz I have a 5 year old and he is my priority on the weekends).

My .02