pterodactyl1986

How old were you when you made your first jump?

I think you're leaving out a few peeps in this poll that where fortunate enough to start before they turned 18.
At my Dz for example there are two guys that started when they where 14 and one that made his first tandem jump at the age of 9.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

pterodactyl1986

***I think you're leaving out a few peeps in this poll that where fortunate enough to start before they turned 18.
At my Dz for example there are two guys that started when they where 14 and one that made his first tandem jump at the age of 9.

Did not know that was legalnot everyone jumps under USPA rules
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Where is 17 in your poll, that's when I started (43 years ago)? I have multiple friends that started when they were 16 or 17, and two that were 14. Your categories exclude many.

Young person's sport? Go to a POPs, SOS, or JOEs event, it might give you some insight. Or just go to any FS record event, lots of people that you might not consider "young".

Pobrause

I think you're leaving out a few peeps in this poll that where fortunate enough to start before they turned 18.

I know of a 6 year old girl who made her tandem jump with her dad. That was over a decade ago.

I did the theoretical course at 14, and the first jump at 18, with the t-10 s / l.
My parents did not give me permission (I had to wait until I was 18).
I jumped in boituva (brazil) by the clube de paraquedismo de são paulo.
in 1981.
I think it was much simpler than today.[;)

18 years old. It wasn't even my idea to go. It was the summer after a year on college, and I told my school classmate/lab co-worker I recently turned 18.

"He said you can now legally skydive. Want to go?"
The words "Sure, Let's go" escaped from my mouth before my brain could stop them.

I did 36 jumps while in college, the got married and took a long break from skydiving.

36 years old in 2002; still jumping. Did a tandem with my wife and went back a couple months later and did my AFF

My son just did his first jump at age 10.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

i was 19 years and 3 months of Age... First parachute jump ( static line ) AND First Airplane Ride...
I had almost 200 Take-OFFS in a Plane Before I had ONE Landing, in a Plane.
it was 9-16-72... Tomorrow !!!! is my 45th :o;) "skyBirthDay "
I think I will be AT One dropzone or another... ;)
jmy A 3914 D 12122

pterodactyl1986

***I think you're leaving out a few peeps in this poll that where fortunate enough to start before they turned 18.

Did not know that was legal

Well, to be a bit pedantic, "legal" means within the FARs. No rule about age at all in them.

USPA currently has a minimum age of 18, but that is fairly recent (past 5 years?). Largely as a result of pressure from the manufacturers.
It used to be 16 with parents permission.

And foreign countries have different rules altogether.

The Nelson kids were doing tandems very young. Solo jumps pretty young too.

The Mullens boys were jumping pretty young too.

It helps when your dad is DZO. And those "kids" are some seriously competent jumpers.

At my original DZ, one of the "DZ Brats" was licensed at 16.
At my current DZ, the son of the DZO recently got his A at 16. They had to get the USPA BOD to grant a waiver. The RD jumps there sometimes, so doing it within the rules was both necessary and not terribly difficult.

My first jump was at age 37.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo