stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

No. 17SC154, Court of Appeals Case No. 15CA1159
Petitioners:
Citizens for Quiet Skies, Kimberly Gibbs, Timothy Lim, Suzanne Webel, John Behrens,
Carla Behrens, and Richard Dauer,
v.
Respondent:
Mile- Hi Skydiving Center, Inc.
Petition for Writ of Certiorari DENIED. EN BANC.

Source: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/Case_Announcements/Files/2017/DAE695October.2.2017.pdf

:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

She said that Citizens for Quiet Skies will continue lobbying elected representatives on the federal level to change national aviation law to give communities more local control over general aviation airports such as Vance Brand Municipal Airport.

And hopefully she writes the fucking check for the damages. I would slap a lien on her house and everything she owns.

tkhayes

She said that Citizens for Quiet Skies will continue lobbying elected representatives on the federal level to change national aviation law to give communities more local control over general aviation airports such as Vance Brand Municipal Airport.

And hopefully she writes the fucking check for the damages. I would slap a lien on her house and everything she owns.

Perhaps she can start a beer fund for reparations

It's only a $120 K. But it sure is going to be sweet when her lawyer sends the check to the Mile High lawyer. I sure hope we get to hear about it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Stumpy,

is that it then? Is it finished?

I asked my son about this last nite. He said that she still has some options. She could petition the federal courts or she could petition the SCOTUS.

I really doubt that either would consider any petitions that she might attempt.

And her legal costs must be going thru the roof. I wonder what her attorney is costing her?

Jerry Baumchen

normiss

I wonder what type of aircraft you could ferry in for a boogie with that kind of money?
Well, after covering losses associated with this crazy lady anyway.

I think the DZ already lost over half a million in legal costs to see this thru, the amount she paid is just icing on the very expensive cake. She could have bankrupted (and did) smaller DZs.

Gibbs paid the judgements in December of 2015.

When a judgement is paid, a "Satisfaction of Judgement" document is created.
If go to this website, you can search for court documents: https://recorder.bouldercounty.org/countyweb/disclaimer.do

Search for "Gibbs Kimberly" and you get the results shown in the attachment.
Here are the payment amounts verified in the "Satisfaction of Judgement" docs:
03490629: $47,984.41
03490628: $6,277.50
03490627: $67,791.05
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

tdog

I think the DZ already lost over half a million in legal costs to see this thru, the amount she paid is just icing on the very expensive cake. She could have bankrupted (and did) smaller DZs.

The USPA has a quarter-million dollars in their Airport Access Defense Fund. Have they donated any of that to Mile High to help them out?

ryoder

Gibbs paid the judgements in December of 2015.

When a judgement is paid, a "Satisfaction of Judgement" document is created.
If go to this website, you can search for court documents: https://recorder.bouldercounty.org/countyweb/disclaimer.do

Search for "Gibbs Kimberly" and you get the results shown in the attachment.
Here are the payment amounts verified in the "Satisfaction of Judgement" docs:
03490629: $47,984.41
03490628: $6,277.50
03490627: $67,791.05

Holy shit! She paid that out of her own pocket?! Who the hell has that much money?!

You can get a 12 pack of ear plugs at Walmart for $3.97.

I have to admit: I do understand people not wanting excessive airplane noise (or other noise) where they live--but she must have had some other axe to grind.
I jump at Longmont and unless they changed their routes because of her complaint: I have never been in a plane there that spirals over one location to gain altitude (as she alleges in her original complaint). Unless we're doing hop'n pops we go straight out west over the foothills before heading back over the drop zone. Not many houses underneath there! (I know because I keep nervously looking out the open door at the hills & forests, wondering: If the airplane fails and I have to get out here, where would I land in this terrain???)

...and assuming her family hasn't lived there for generations, why move close to an airport if you know you hate airplane noise? And why on earth focus your complaint on skydiving exclusively???

But again, I do understand not liking noise. I generally don't enjoy it or fumes from gasoline either...for some reason I absolutely love the smell and noise when getting on a plane for a jump--but that probably has to do with the subconscious associations I've built up over my short time of skydiving. Who knows, in a few years I might like it so much that I will want to move right next to an airport? ;)

mbohu

...and assuming her family hasn't lived there for generations, why move close to an airport if you know you hate airplane noise? And why on earth focus your complaint on skydiving exclusively???

She is 4 miles East of Boulder airport, and 6 miles South of Longmont airport.
That does not meet my definition of "close", and I live 3 miles from Rky Mtn Metro, (which I don't consider to be "close").

I'm looking at the map, and I don't think I've ever seen us go 6 miles south of the airport when flying up to altitude.
And wouldn't the boulder airport be more of an issue for her then--they don't have a drop zone. Why did she only sue the skydiving operations?

mbohu

I'm looking at the map, and I don't think I've ever seen us go 6 miles south of the airport when flying up to altitude.
And wouldn't the boulder airport be more of an issue for her then--they don't have a drop zone. Why did she only sue the skydiving operations?

The first DZ she went after was operating out of Boulder airport, and jumpers were landing in an open field East of her. After successfully shutting down that one, (based on the field not being zoned for such use), she took aim at MHS.

mbohu

Ah--so that's the history.
Well--she should have quit while ahead.

There was another great whine she had:
She was complaining to Centennial Airport, 36 miles away from her home!
Why?
Because a twin turbine cargo flight, (originating out of Centennial), was cruising over her house at 10,000' in the middle of the night. She even posted a Youtube video of her and her husband listening to it, and talking about it. They had to hold their breath while recording it, because their breathing drowned out the faint sound of the plane.:S
She took the video down.
Damn, I wish I had saved a copy of it.