stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

fencebuster

Pull out the FAA memo on "head tax" that USPA solicited a few years ago and provide an advance copy to the Council. Likely the issue goes away fast and quiet.

See:

dev.stateaviationjournal.com/2014/01/dot-issues-favorable-opinion-skydiving-taxes/

and for a similar ruling pertaining to ballooning:

cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/Assistant%20General%20Counsel%20Letter%20re%20Whether%20MD%20Gross%20Receipts%20Tax%20Violates%20Anti%20Head%20Tax%20Act%201.29.2010.pdf

The act itself is Anti-Head Tax Act, 48 U.S.C. §40116

And an appeals court decision upholding the act is Township of Tinicum v. United States, No. 08-1830 (3rd Cir. Sept. 14, 2009)

The old USPA web site had a link to the DOT's letter to USPA, but I can't find the letter on the new improved (?) USPA web site.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It appears that she's running out of options, and grasping for straws, even using the sympathy card!
I'm thinking this may be an open invite that perhaps some of our skydivers may wish to join! :D:D:D
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Recent Editorials

Aug. 6th - Daily Camera: Kimberly Gibbs - Reasonable Rules are Required (link; http://citizensforquietskies.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0060ac2a550b8429f65211dc5&id=8017ded68b&e=d9df8aa4ae )

Aug. 8th - Daily Camera: Steve Stearns (rebuttal) - Almost tragic, missed opportunity (link; http://citizensforquietskies.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0060ac2a550b8429f65211dc5&id=4ae71c0b05&e=d9df8aa4ae )

Do you want to keep this issue alive and continue exerting pressure for reasonable regulations?
We cannot make progress without your support, and I assure you that we are making progress.
Please send your letter (300 words max) to:

[email protected]

Quiet Skies Meeting
Please join us for a Quiet Skies strategy meeting on August 30th at 7 pm at the Longmont Public Library.

Many thanks,
Kimberly Gibbs
Chairman and Founder, Citizens For Quiet Skies
Boulder County, Colorado

Jumpdude

News
Pilot walks away from small plane crash in Longmont

Glad no one was injured, and I'll point out that the pilot Dave Shenk testified on our behalf at the trial. He has been a vocal critic of MHS for many years.
Unfortunately, it is also worth noting that if the plane had been taking off to the east that it would likely have landed in a neighborhood. This is a legitimate concern for those living near the airport.

Damn, stabbed her goat right in the back!
When you are at a party stop asking people "What do you do?" ask them..."What do you do for fun?"

nolhtairt

Time table on that?

When it does come, I hope the appeals court tells her to shut the fuck up and go home, oh and pay up. >:(

Stop being selfish. I think we ALL want that. :P The question is whether she will actually heed that or continue to futilely pursue her "quest" and annoy everyone further. Unfortunately, I suspect the latter.

Elisha

***Time table on that?

When it does come, I hope the appeals court tells her to shut the fuck up and go home, oh and pay up. >:(

Stop being selfish. I think we ALL want that. :P The question is whether she will actually heed that or continue to futilely pursue her "quest" and annoy everyone further. Unfortunately, I suspect the latter.

Her psychological profile is a narcissist with a borderline personality disorder. She will persist as long as she has enablers around her. This typically starts with parents in childhood. Only when the damage from her efforts cause her supporters to withdraw will she stop.

Then she likely will move on to find other "enablers" and perhaps a new cause. You don't want to be her neighbor.

normiss

Sad really, Daddy sure seemed to be pretty smart.
Especially legally, which makes you wonder what their conversations are like.

Also of note, the reviews of the book.
:D

:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

AlanS

******Time table on that?

Her psychological profile is a narcissist with a borderline personality disorder. She will persist as long as she has enablers around her. This typically starts with parents in childhood. Only when the damage from her efforts cause her supporters to withdraw will she stop.

Then she likely will move on to find other "enablers" and perhaps a new cause. You don't want to be her neighbor.

That makes her sound like a presidential candidate I've been hearing about! ;)

Barely.
I found it to be a hard and boring read, a few interesting cases discussed were good though.
I do understand he was a good trial attorney too.

After reading a handful of books by attorneys, it seems it's a boring career or most of them are bad authors, unless they land a spectacular case.

Boomerdog

When it does come, I hope the appeals court tells her to shut the fuck up and go home, oh and pay up.

I hope your right. But something tells me she doesn't think she's done even if she loses on appeal.

Maybe she'll go up to the state supreme court if she raises enough money. :S

nolhtairt

Time table on that?

From Gibbs FB page this morning:

Oral arguments in the judicial appeal (Quiet Skies vs. Mile-Hi Skydiving) were scheduled for Oct. 19th. Mile-Hi requested a continuance (delay) and the court has granted their request. We will keep you posted when we have the new date.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

Interesting.
I wonder if that is a nice gesture to give them time...

I'm guessing it's in Mile High's interest to just drag it out and keep costing her group more money. Maybe their lawyer is too busy with other important matters. I'm sure they would like to collect the damages, but the bottom line is frustrating her efforts to hamper their operations.

Let her stew in her own juices.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

From CQS web page today:

Oral Arguments in the judicial appeal (Quiet Skies vs. Mile-Hi Skydiving) have been rescheduled. We hope to see you there.
Pursuant to the order of this court, Oral Argument in the above referenced case has been scheduled for:
December 13, 2016, 1:30 PM
Court of Appeals Courtroom 3rd Floor
2 E. 14th Avenue

(Denver)
In accordance with C.A.R. 34(2), length of argument is limited to 15 minutes per side, unless additional time has been requested and granted for good cause shown.
Also note that C.A.R. 34(c) prohibits reading at length from briefs, records, or authorities. If supplemental citations, as permitted by C.A.R. 28(j), are filed they should not include argument and should be filed, when possible, no later than 7 days prior to the scheduled argument.