stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

Google: "Cold Springs Fire"
This started Saturday afternoon. All day Sunday, a/c involved were doing a downwind leg right over my house for rwy 30L or 30R at KBJC. Visually, and w/ WebTrak and local news stories, I identified these:

(2) Neptune BAe-146 tail #02, #41 - KBJC
(1) N947CH CH-47 w/ Bambi bucket - KBDU
(1) Neptune P2V - KBJC
(1) Piper Pawnee ? - KBJC
(1) N4458S 1976 BEECH 58P Baron - loitering
(1) N6UX 2003 Eurocopter AS 350 B3 - loitering/KBJC
(2) UH-60 Black Hawk w/ Bambi bucket
(1) bomber w/ (4) rotary engines

Then today our local Rep Jared Polis put out a statement including this line:
"As of earlier today, more than 300 fire personnel and 24 aircrafts are working to contain the fire."

This should have Kimmy bouncing off the walls.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

How close are the fires to that side of town?

Official fire map: http://boulder.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=cd569c1a616f4b258681716bbe5418f0

KBDU is closest to her house, and I followed the CH-47 there via WebTrak.
I have no idea what else is based out of there.
Something interesting: None of the other military a/c are shown on WebTrak (to be expected), but also, *none* of the slurry bombers show up on it either, which seems a little odd.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***How close are the fires to that side of town?

Official fire map: http://boulder.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=cd569c1a616f4b258681716bbe5418f0

KBDU is closest to her house, and I followed the CH-47 there via WebTrak.
I have no idea what else is based out of there.
Something interesting: None of the other military a/c are shown on WebTrak (to be expected), but also, *none* of the slurry bombers show up on it either[/red ], which seems a little odd.

>:(Gee I sure hope no one hits the wrong button when they are flying over her house>:(

Plane crash at KLMO yesterday.
The pilot was a witness for Gibbs.
Rumors are that his motivation was a long-standing dispute with the prior owner of the DZ, (Jeff Sands).

http://www.dailycamera.com/longmont-news/ci_30135663/pilot-walks-away-from-crash-small-plane-longmont

skyjumpenfool

The pilot was a witness for Gibbs.

Hmmmm? Karma? :P

I heard he was just following the new Gibbs-mandated noise abatement procedures:
Climb to 200' AGL, then shut off engine.;)

http://www.timescall.com/columnists/opinion-local/ci_30140749/kimberly-gibbs-skies-have-been-quieter-this-year

Kimberly Gibbs: Skies have been quieter this year, but there's more work to be done
POSTED: 07/19/2016 08:50:36 AM MDT

The relatively quieter spring and summer in north Boulder County was the topic of discussion recently among Quiet Skies supporters. A year ago we lost a high profile court case against Mile-Hi Skydiving regarding the community noise impacts from their operations. So, we were pleasantly surprised to notice recent improvements. After comparing notes and analyzing Webtrak flight data, we observed the following operational changes leading up to the July 4th weekend:

1. The 23-passenger purple Twin Otter is being used less frequently. The purple Otter has noisy and reverberating 3-bladed propellers, making it inappropriate for frequent use over residential areas. The 15-passenger King Air is used more often, along with a white Otter outfitted with quieter 5-bladed propellers.

2. Operations begin later in the morning and end earlier in the evening. On some days operations begin as late as a 9:30 a.m. start, and most weekday evenings after 5:30 are peaceful. Prior to the lawsuit, operations began at 7 a.m. and two or more planes were going all day until dark.

3. Fewer hop 'n' pop flights, where the plane circles around for an initial 5,000-foot AGL drop, then continues spiraling up to the full 13,000-foot drop. No hop 'n' pop means fewer overflights to some areas.

4. Modified flight patterns extending well outside the designated flight box over north Boulder County. This pattern favors a long climb west generally over Heil Ranch (outside the box), and as far west as Coffintop Mountain.

Advertisement

5. Reduced activity during bad weather. Prior to the lawsuit, wind and cloud cover rarely impeded operations.

6. Avoidance of Gunbarrel, with flights generally remaining north of Colo. 52. This is great for Gunbarrel residents, but not so great for residents in other unincorporated areas and in south Longmont.

Unfortunately, these positive changes were abruptly abandoned as we headed into the Fourth of July weekend. The purple Otter and other jump planes were in constant operation most of the holiday weekend. Operations lasted the entire day, and then continued throughout the night, with no public notice. On July 2, the final skydiving flight landed at 12:22 a.m. the following morning. And on July 3, a Sunday, operations finally ended at 11:35 p.m.

Unbelievably, there are no regulations at the Longmont airport to reduce the community noise impact from skydiving and other airport operations. None whatsoever. Mile-Hi can operate all day and night using multiple noisy turboprops. Mile-Hi has demonstrated time and again that they have no interest in being a good neighbor. And the Longmont City Council refuses to adopt any regulations, claiming that all airport operations are governed exclusively by the FAA. If that is true, does it really make sense to continue operating an airport that the local government has no authority to regulate? Couldn't that 264 acres of prime real estate be put to a better purpose that truly benefits the community?

Quiet Skies has consistently advocated for reasonable regulations that would balance skydiving activities with the rights of citizens who live here. To that end, we will continue to seek an official and binding agreement that results in an overall reduction of noise for all residents who are affected by the skydiving noise, including:

• removing the purple Twin Otter from service;

• weekday operations allowed during regular business hours;

• weekend operations allowed during reduced hours; and

• allowing one jump aircraft to operate per day, with a maximum capacity of 15 passengers. This would allow the King Air to continue operating, and the capacity far exceeds that of most skydiving businesses, which use a four-seat Cessna.

Whether or not your home is currently affected, this is an issue that all fair-minded citizens should care about. We are all just one decision away from being under the flight path.

Kimberly Gibbs is a Gunbarrel resident and the organizer of Citizens For Quiet Skies.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

What a stupid c*nt. Most DZ's hold holiday boogies over the Fourth of July weekends, especially when the fourth falls on a Friday or Monday.

And, the full moon was just within the last couple nights. So her claims of the DZ planes running til midnight sounds like horse shit to me. :S

Here's the latest email that Kimmie sent out.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

At the Crossroads

For five long years we have been working hard for something so reasonable, so simple - a balance between aviation interests and our rights to live in peace and quiet. And for five long years we have faced one roadblock after another. I am so grateful to all of you who have written editorials, attended city council meetings, donated your time and money, and joined our outreach efforts at the Longmont farmers market.

But it does seem we are at a crossroads, and need to decide on our future course. The appeal briefs are all filed, and the lawsuit will be settled in a few short months. But even a victory in court will not likely result in the injunctive relief that we sought. By now, we know that Longmont city council will continue to ignore us, and the county commissioners have no real jurisdiction over the airport. So, where do we go from here?

We need to hear your thoughts. Do Longmont citizens favor local control over polluting industries? I believe they do. Would Longmont citizens approve a ballot initiative to regain local control over airport operations? Would our volunteers support this effort next year? What are you willing to do to move forward?

I hope you can join us for a brief meeting this Saturday at the Longmont farmers market.

Quiet Skies Meeting
Please join us for an informal meeting this Saturday morning at the Longmont farmers market from 8 to 9 am. You will have a voice in our future efforts. If you can't attend, please let me know your level of involvement via email at [email protected]

News
Pilot walks away from small plane crash in Longmont

Glad no one was injured, and I'll point out that the pilot Dave Shenk testified on our behalf at the trial. He has been a vocal critic of MHS for many years.
Unfortunately, it is also worth noting that if the plane had been taking off to the east that it would likely have landed in a neighborhood. This is a legitimate concern for those living near the airport.

NTSB: Skydiver was seriously injured in Longmont after striking plane during jump

For those who attended the trial, you may recall that the Mile-Hi witnesses, including the chief pilot, testified under oath that they routinely back off the props after reaching a safe altitude, typically 1,000 AGL. They claimed to do this for noise abatement. Many Quiet Skies witnesses testified that the jump planes climb at full power throughout the flight, which results in excessive noise. Note this statement from the NTSB report: "At 12.2 nautical miles (nm) from the intended GPS waypoint, the pilot maintained a full power setting and continued the climb for 17,500 ft msl."

And regarding our friends in New York who are fighting the helicopter sightseeing flights, more bad news ...
City extends tour-helicopter concession for another 5 years

And how can this possibly happen, you ask? It is called corruption.

Lobbysists use loopholes in donating to Mayor DeBlasio's campaign

So what can we ordinary citizens do, when it becomes so clear that we are losing our democracy and that elected leaders cannot be trusted to act in our best interests? We must consider the very real possibility of a ballot initiative next year to regain local control of the airport. This effort would be accomplished by forcing the city to forego all future grant monies used for airport capital improvements, which would essentially cancel the airport expansion altogether. The airport users would have to pay their fair share to maintain the airport, with no more subsidies out of yours and my pockets.

Editorials

Kimberly Gibbs: TC - Skies have been quieter this year, but there is more work to be done

Richard Auletta: Camera - $5 million for quiet trains, $0 for quiet skies

The Appeal

As of June 10th, all briefs have been filed. We are still awaiting the decision about our request to present oral arguments.

FAA Reauthorization

Congress approved another short term FAA Reauthorization bill that will expire in the fall of 2017. The bill did not contain any provisions to address noise. Our supporters worked with Congressman Polis' staff to draft an amendment to include noise provisions, and unfortunately no amendments were considered. So, this effort is tabled until next September.

Meng criticizes passage of FAA Reauthorization for not including provisions to combat airplane noise

I Heart Quiet Skies Stickers
We have I Heart Quiet Skies small 3x3 stickers available to our supporters both near and far. To get your sticker, please join us this Saturday morning at the Longmont farmers market or send your name and address to [email protected].

Many thanks,
Kimberly Gibbs
Chairman and Founder, Citizens For Quiet Skies
Boulder County, Colorado

Hi Mark & nolhtairt,

Isn't that next to impossible with a civil case?

No, she could be held in contempt of court & sent to jail to cool her heels.

Unless they bust her for fraud or contempt

Fraud would be a legal/criminal issue. I have never heard of anyone being 'busted' for contempt of court; considering that you mean arrested as your definition of 'busted.'

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Mark & nolhtairt,

Isn't that next to impossible with a civil case?

No, she could be held in contempt of court & sent to jail to cool her heels.

***Unless they bust her for fraud or contempt

Fraud would be a legal/criminal issue. I have never heard of anyone being 'busted' for contempt of court; considering that you mean arrested as your definition of 'busted.'

Jerry Baumchen

I don't think anything she is doing rises to "contempt" or fraud. Maybe making false accusations against Mile Hi could be pursued by them in civil court, but I kinda doubt that they will do that.

Keep in mind that Kim Gibbs still has her 1st Amendment right to free speech. Short of a gag order, the judge really can't "shut her up" (as nice as that might seem). The judge's request that everyone act like adults and behave was just that, a request.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Trafficdiver

******Isn't that next to impossible with a civil case?

Unless they bust her for fraud or contempt, she isn't going to jail. Though a psychiatric hospital just might be the best place for her

Think of the poor mental patients she would torture...:S

Yeah, people are screaming all the time. There's no peace. It would be a nightmare for her!

Jumpdude

And back we go to the FAA. Why do they waste so much time with something they have no control over?

"Let's charge an orbit fee for the International Space Station every time it passes over our hemisphere? "

I do like the description of Kimmie in the comments though. :)

Pull out the FAA memo on "head tax" that USPA solicited a few years ago and provide an advance copy to the Council. Likely the issue goes away fast and quiet.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

fencebuster

Pull out the FAA memo on "head tax" that USPA solicited a few years ago and provide an advance copy to the Council. Likely the issue goes away fast and quiet.

Right here: http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/files/misc_dotopinions2013.pdf