stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

She likes paying Lawyers. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their office after she walks out. I bet they run around saying CHA-CHING CHA-CHING!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

She likes paying Lawyers. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their office after she walks out. I bet they run around saying CHA-CHING CHA-CHING!

Which is interesting, because the court transcript says:

Ms. Gibbs has indicated she's dedicated the last several years of her life to shutting down Mile-Hi. She collects unemployment, she doesn't work. That's her choice. But the fact is she dedicated her life to try to shut down Mile-Hi.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

oldwomanc6

And, doesn't unemployment run out in a very short time?

Never used it, so not really sure of the time reference, but pretty sure not years and years.

Max 26 weeks per this: https://www.legalconsumer.com/unemploymentlaw/?ST=CO
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I had not looked at the CQS website in months, but today I took a glance, and it looks like they put the actual trial transcript online!

http://citizensforquietskies.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/201501413-CQS-trial-transcript.pdf

ETA Someone pointed out this is only the first half of the trail, i.e. the portion where the plaintiff witnesses are called, and a quick skim through it seems to confirm that.

OK, a correction:
I just pulled up my trial notes to compare with that transcript.
The transcript is just the first day of a five day trial!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

theonlyski

***She likes paying Lawyers. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their office after she walks out. I bet they run around saying CHA-CHING CHA-CHING!

Ms. Gibbs has indicated she's dedicated the last several years of her life to shutting down Mile-Hi. She collects unemployment, she doesn't work. That's her choice. But the fact is she dedicated her life to try to shut down Mile-Hi.

maybe some concerned citizen ought to ask the unemployment office to start a fraud investigation since she seems to spend all of her time trying to close the DZ instead of looking for work.
Always remember the danger.

Never forget the fun!

SionaSioux

******She likes paying Lawyers. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their office after she walks out. I bet they run around saying CHA-CHING CHA-CHING!

maybe some concerned citizen ought to ask the unemployment office to start a fraud investigation since she seems to spend all of her time trying to close the DZ instead of looking for work.

I like the way you think! ;)

SionaSioux

since she seems to spend all of her time trying to close the DZ instead of looking for work.

Maybe the DZ is hiring for a janitor. Win/Win
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Trafficdiver

*********She likes paying Lawyers. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their office after she walks out. I bet they run around saying CHA-CHING CHA-CHING!

In my state to receive unemployment you have to certify and prove if asked that you are actively looking for work. No clue about Colorado.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

In my state to receive unemployment you have to certify and prove if asked that you are actively looking for work. No clue about Colorado.

In Florida, you have to submit job applications/contacts as proof that you're trying.

I worked in the unemployment office for a few months, some people have figured the game out so well that they were on perpetual benefits. [:/]

councilman24

************She likes paying Lawyers. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their office after she walks out. I bet they run around saying CHA-CHING CHA-CHING!

I wonder if any of the organizations money has been used to support her lifestyle? Someone should check into that.

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_29638588/gibbs-quiet-skies-take-mile-hi-skydiving-lawsuit-appeals

Kim Gibbs has taken her legal battle with Mile-Hi Skydiving to the Colorado Court of Appeals.

The Gunbarrel resident and the other plaintiffs — the group Citizens for Quiet Skies, Gibbs' husband Timothy Lim, Suzanne Webel, Richard Dauer, and Carla and John Behrens — sued Mile-Hi Skydiving in 2013.

The plaintiffs claim that Mile-Hi Owner Frank Casares flies planes, especially the purple-tipped Twin Otter, especially loudly and frequently. The flights, out of Longmont's Vance Brand Airport, interfere with local residents' enjoyment of their properties and constituted nuisance, negligence, trespass and unjust enrichment, they say.

Boulder District Court Judge Judith LaBuda first dismissed the claims of unjust enrichment and trespass in a summary judgment in preliminary proceedings. In 2015, LaBuda held a five-day trial in which both sides called real estate, noise and aviation experts as witnesses. LaBuda ended the trial with visits to some plaintiffs' homes while Mile-Hi flew overhead, in order to experience the noise levels for herself.

In May, LaBuda ruled unilaterally in favor of Mile-Hi, awarding Casares more than $120,000 in damages and attorneys fees.

Gibbs said she decided to file the appeal because she believes LaBuda misapplied the law.

Advertisement

"I have a strong belief in what we're trying to do, and I believe what we're doing is reasonable, and I believe the judge just got it so wrong," Gibbs said. "I couldn't let her decision stand. I just couldn't."

What's more, Gibbs said, the lawsuit loss means she has been"pretty much devastated financially."

"They were very vindictive and unreasonable awards, and the only way we had any chance of recovering those funds was to appeal," Gibbs said.

Casares did not respond to requests for comment.

The plaintiffs' lawyers', Matthew B. Osofsky and Randall M. Weiner, filed the 55-page opening brief in the appeal case Wednesday. In the opening brief, Osofsky and Weiner wrote, among other arguments, that LaBuda erred in finding that the city of Longmont had no power to regulate airport noise without preempting the Federal Aviation Administration.

"If Judge LaBuda is correct, then the Colorado public has absolutely zero control over what occurs at airports after they are constructed. ... On behalf of their citizens, Colorado courts should resist this federal overreach."

The plaintiffs in the case ask the Colorado Court of Appeals to remand the suit back to the district court for a new trial.

According to the Colorado Rule of Appellate Procedure, Mile-Hi now has 30 days to file an answer brief, and then the plaintiffs have 21 days after that to file an answer brief.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

cpoxon

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_29638588/gibbs-quiet-skies-take-mile-hi-skydiving-lawsuit-appeals

Kim Gibbs has taken her legal battle with Mile-Hi Skydiving to the Colorado Court of Appeals.

What's more, Gibbs said, the lawsuit loss means she has been"pretty much devastated financially."

"They were very vindictive and unreasonable awards, and the only way we had any chance of recovering those funds was to appeal," Gibbs said.

Yes, because a personal "financial situation" is just some temporary health "condition" or like temporary feelings one might have...as opposed to having a freakin' JOB and EARNING and MANAGING your own "finances". :S

Iago

How in the world does anyone stay awake through all this nonsense.

It got better as it progressed.
On the second day, the defense proved plaintiff witness Jennings was a damned liar.
On the morning of the 3rd day, Gibbs took the stand.
At noon on the 3rd day, the defense began calling its witnesses.

I'm loath to wade through all the previous posts, but I read several around the time of the trial.

How about a counter-suit for harassment/slander/what have you?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom