stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

ryoder

Oh, the horror! :o
MHS is flying today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqIlAZhRSEU

That's actually pretty quiet. I am curious how the hell she hears that in her house, given that it's gotta have some insulation to keep all the hot air in.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Guy posts letter-to-the-editor pointing out loud motorcycles are a bigger problem.
Kimmy immediately jumps in to put him down:

http://www.timescall.com/opinion/letterstotheeditor/ci_28838775/surely-longmont-can-do-something-about-loud-motorcycles
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Airport access should be a concern for USPA and our membership. Boomerdog provides a good example of the "next victim" out in California, calling it correctly by a military term "mission creep." I am running for the USPA Board as a national director candidate. I am a lawyer and a DZO. This issue is one of concern to me and one that the USPA Board should be on top of. If I am elected to the Board, it will be among the top of the items on my agenda.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

normiss

"Also, they can be from anywhere in the world, and are not at all representative of the local community."

Like their illustrious leader Kimmers!!!
:S:S:S

These people can't see the obvious because of all the plane noise. :S I noticed you can't comment on her article?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Odd how she wants other groups to join her, but she is aggressive in comments about her problems.

Please note the following URL's listed"

https://quigley.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/quigley-members-of-the-quiet-skies-caucus-send-recommendations-to-house

http://crowley.house.gov/press-release/reps-crowley-israel-meng-and-mccarthy-announce-quiet-skies-caucus-combat-aircraft

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2015/30/longquietskies_2015_07_24_q.html

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/219607-lawmakers-form-new-congressional-caucus-for-quiet-skies

https://skyharbor.com/pdf/AircraftNoise_Gallego_letter.pdf

Apparently, Ms Gibbs is not alone. In her narcissism, I'm sure she'll think she was the impetus behind the entire quiet skies movement.

These five links only represent a few hundred on the issue. Now I work in the Washington D.C. area. It's like this. The truth has nothing to do with what happens here and effects all of us out there. It's what you can sell. If you can wrap manure in a beautiful package, make enough political contributions or scare your Rep and Senator you represent a sizeable number of votes, the manure you're peddling just might make it into law. Welcome to representative democracy.

Now we can call Ms Gibbs all the names out there until the cows decide to come home. The fact is, she's "plugged into the process" and as so many of us have said before, she's not going away despite the court rulings against her at present.

Laws can be changed. These five URL's are only a small example of the forces organizing against our sport. Once enough of these forces realize the collective influence they can wield, it's not going to be a good day for us. That DZ you once referred to as your second home is now closed simply because legislation designed to impose "reasonable limits" was in fact a trojan horse designed to limit a DZ's operation and hence the revenue stream it needed to stay in business.

Trite as it may seem, it is now applicable, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Why are today's nutcases usually named "Kim"?

Gibbs is trying her dogged best to get noticed and make her cause heard, and she STILL only has a few hundred supporters mostly outside of Colorado.

Then you look at Kim Davis in Kentucky. She doesn't even try. Has a few million supporters and a presidential candidate on her side despite court rulings saying she must do her job.

All little Kimmy Gibbs has done is bring up a frivolous lawsuit that was shot down, hard.

Has CQS paid the court ordered fines to MHS?

Why are today's nutcases usually named "Kim"?

I don't know that one.

Gibbs is trying her dogged best to get noticed and make her cause heard, and she STILL only has a few hundred supporters mostly outside of Colorado.

A few hundred today...several hundred thousand tomorrow? Perhaps all of us have an interest in legally extinguish a brush fire before it becomes a raging forest fire.

Then you look at Kim Davis in Kentucky. She doesn't even try. Has a few million supporters and a presidential candidate on her side despite court rulings saying she must do her job.

:S:S:S

All little Kimmy Gibbs has done is bring up a frivolous lawsuit that was shot down, hard.

Has CQS paid the court ordered fines to MHS?

The case is on appeal. I'm not taking any bets. The contemporary judiciary has proven themselves as batshit crazy as both Kims.

I guess the question is what are WE going to do?

Here's another long one from the Kimmie propaganda dept!

UPCOMING EVENTS
Longmont Farmers Market
WHEN: Sat, Sept. 19 from 8 to noon
WHERE: Longmont fairgrounds

We will be focusing on outreach regarding the petition. Please stop by to say hello!

THE PETITION AND FAA REAUTHORIZATION
We’re less than 3 days into the petition campaign and already there are 260 signatures from ordinary citizens across Colorado as well as New York, California, Arizona and Illinois. We’re off to a great start. Many thanks to those who have already signed. Please share the petition far and wide - this is our primary focus for the next month or so until the FAA Reauthorization bill is signed.

ARTICLE IN AVIATION IMPACT REFORM
http://aireform.com/please-sign-this-petition/

THE PETITION
https://www.change.org/p/members-of-congress-urge-congress-to-adopt-regulations-to-reduce-airplane-noise

LETTERS AND EDITORIALS
Times Call 9/15/2015
GUEST OPINION
Bill Ellis: How Longmont's skydiving plane reminds of the Concorde (Link; http://www.timescall.com/columnists/opinion-local/ci_28811996/bill-ellis-how-longmonts-skydiving-plane-reminds-concorde )

Remember theConcorde

Longmont, we’ve got a problem: Noise! For many months now letters and opinions have landed on the Opinion page both for and against Citizens for Quiet skies, CQS. For a while I withheld judgment because the nuisance of those skydiving planes was not over my neighborhood some 3 to 4 miles away from Vance Brand Airport. Yet I could still hear them, just not to a nuisance level.
But then an article appeared about that test flight observed but not heard by the judge in the civil case. On that day proponents of quieter skies noted the skydiving plane altered its route and flew over Lyons before climbing to the drop Zone over the airport. That maneuver cleverly hid the nuisancelevel noise over relatively unpopulated farmland between Longmont and Lyons.
Recently an ancient memory bubbled to the surface: The initial test flight of the French-British Super Sonic Transport Concorde out of Dulles International Airport located 30 miles west of Washington, D.C., and about 19 miles from my home in Manassas, Va.
That was big news around Metro-DC and telecast on all major TV networks. The FAA stationed recording equipment around the Dulles runway to be used for landing and takeoff hoping to catch the British/French plane exceeding regulated noise levels. The U.S. Department of Transportation had issued rules allowing only subsonic flights over land.

Two Concordes landed at Dulles May 24, 1976, one from Britain the other from France. Both took off May 25, however the Concorde flight back to Paris changed runways at the last minute to one not monitored by FAA testing equipment. Here is a description from the GhostsofDC.org archives: “One nearby resident, Mrs. Puterbaugh, called the Washington Post to report the terrible experience she had of being in the flight path of the jet. ‘I thought it was horrible...,’ she said. ‘My daughter’s show horse jumped over a 5-foot fence. She ran around it twice and jumped over…[The pilot] must have gunned it when he got over my house… It was terrifying.’ Mrs. Puterbaugh said she had to look for her horses and goats after the takeoff, and that some of the goats hid under the truck.”

Schools in the flight path let students out on the playgrounds to observe the Concorde. One student reported the awful screeching and rumbling noise from overhead that identified it. On May 25, I arrived home from my 90-minute commute from DC and was greeted by my wife and son yelling and jumping up and down at the front door. They were so excited I thought we’d won the Virginia lottery. Here’s their story: They’d watched the Concorde take off from Dulles to horrendous noise from our TV, but when the plane disappeared from view the noise continued pretty loud. And then it got louder and louder until my wife and son ran outside and were shocked to see the plane directly overhead, 19 miles from Dulles. Only then did the pilot open the throttle full power to climb to its appropriate altitude and gain supersonic speed.

Sound familiar?

Until the flood of September 2013, my wife and I routinely walked four times every week at Pella Crossing, less than a mile from the Longmont airport. We heard those nuisance-noisy planes take off and watched them climb and circle always over the airport and nearby neighborhoods. When Quiet Skies first started to complain about noise, I wondered if there couldn’t be some compromise between the two sides. Perhaps fly an alternating flight pattern away from the airport to dissipate the noise. Maybe a muffler? Anything to alleviate the extreme noise, tone it down.

But I am informed there was no compromise and no budge from its status quo by the skydiving company. And of course, the judge didn’t hear anything since the plane flew to Lyons that day of the supposed test.
On the Friday, Sept. 11 Opinion page, Mr. Peter Gibbons says only “onetenth of 1 percent” of Longmont residents are represented by Citizens for Quiet Skies, and more importantly the Broncos’ skydiving exhibition team practices at Vance Brand Airport. Well that settles it. We’ll sacrifice whatever it takes for our beloved men in blue and orange.
But the noise from those planes does so affect thousands around the airport. I have heard it. Friends in Longmont have heard it. Mr. Gibbons’ statistics are erroneous.

Nuisance noise is a Longmont community problem. We have it from two main sources: trains and planes. Refusing compromise because one holds the upper hand at present is not characteristic of a good community member. Bill Ellis is a local author; reply to bill-ellis @comcast.net.
Nuisance noise is a Longmont community problem. We have it from two main sources: trains and planes.
Refusing compromise because one holds the upper hand at present is not characteristic of a good community member.

Bill Ellis
St. Vrain Valley Voices
Aviation Impact Reform 9/11/2015

AVIATION IMPACT REFORM - Mile-Hi Skdives' noise offset strategy gets a big thumbs down (Link; http://aireform.com/mile-hi-skydives-noise-offset-strategy-gets-a-big-thumbs-down/)

For reference (this was sent earlier):
Times Call 9/11/2015

Quiet Skies represents very few residents
I would like to bring to your attention all of the feedback via the “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” feature that has been published in response to Citizens for Quiet Skies.
With every editorial posted referencing this organization, the feedback has consistently shown that the people do not agree with them. The facts are that CQS consists of less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the residents of Longmont and that the majority is exhausted with them. Residents appear to support the company that is based in their city, not someone who lives in Gunbarrel.

Mile-Hi Skydiving has proven to be an asset to the community through support of combat veterans and the transportation of city officials during the floods of 2013. Did everyone forget what Mile-Hi is to the community? It should also be noted that Mile-Hi is the training center for the Denver Broncos skydiving exhibition team “Thunderstorm.” We all love seeing these guys jump into the Broncos games. Also, every weekend I see the residents of Longmont gathered at the statue, paid for by the city, watching and enjoying the skydivers.

Why all of the negative press? Over someone who doesn’t even work or live in our city? Lastly, why is the Longmont City Council addressing issues from someone who doesn’t even live here? Why? I think we have enough to handle.

Peter Gibbons
Longmont

TAKE ACTION
Write a letter to the editor. Send your thoughtful letter, 300 words or less (be sure to include your address and phone number), to:
Times Call: [email protected]
Daily Camera: [email protected]

Pressed for time? Call the TC-Line and leave a comment: 720-494-5485

IN THE NEWS

Development plans prompt Cloverdale to wrestle over future of airport

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/4457201-181/development-plans-prompt-cloverdale-to?page=0

ONLINE RESOURCES
TRACK FLIGHTS WITH WEBTRAK
http://webtrak5.bksv.com/den3

QUIET SKIES Web Site: CitizensForQuietSkies.org

LIKE US ON FACEbook

We’re also on Twitter at https://twitter.com/kgibbsBoulder

To register a noise complaint: http://citizensforquietskies.org/help/complaint/

nolhtairt

Trying to make an analogy between MHS' planes and the Concorde is just bat fucking shit STOOPID. WTF?!? Really????

:S:S:S:D:D:D

That's all directly copied from her emails! The only thing I add is the link beside the text rather than making it a clicky! I'll be glad to post screenshots if that's preferred! :D:D

Here's another email that came this afternoon, and it appears that she thinks she's winning!!! Hey guys at MHS, jump your asses off, show her how lost her cause really is!!! LMAO!!!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello friends,

I hope you enjoyed yet another beautiful, quiet and peaceful evening in Boulder County. There were no skydiving operations (that I'm aware of) yesterday or today. The lack of activity on Tuesday and Wednesday has become common over the past several weeks. We also notice that on weekdays, the operations typically end by 5:30. These recent changes are unprecedented. In the past, operations would go up until dark nearly every day of the week. Why have they changed? Is it due to negotiations with the city for the South Parcel lease? Are the changes mandatory? We simply don't know. City officials are not offering any information about the lease negotiations.

We can be certain that without a binding and mandatory agreement, any recent improvements will be short lived. Also, Mile-Hi continues to operate 2 twin otters and a king air on weekends. An essential element of our efforts is that the twin otters must be removed from service. They are inappropriate aircraft for frequent use over residential areas.

So, let's be grateful for this lovely evening, and continue to press on.

GUEST OPINION AND LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Many thanks to those who have already signed the petition. There are currently 355 signatures, and about half of those are from Boulder County residents. We'll need a lot more to influence congress, so please sign if you haven't already and share it with friends and neighbors.

We have received confirmation that another Colorado member of congress is joining the Quiet Skies Congressional Caucus - this is great news and a direct result of your outreach efforts.

Members of Congress: Urge Congress to adopt regulations to REDUCE AIRPLANE NOISE (Link; https://www.change.org/p/members-of-congress-urge-congress-to-adopt-regulations-to-reduce-airplane-noise )

Members of Congress: Urge Congress to adopt regulations ...
Dear Members of Congress: We would like to bring to your attention to an issue of great concern to countless residents across the United States: FAA’s failure and r...
View on www.change.org

GUEST OPINION AND LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
9/21/2015 Times Call
GUEST OPINION

‘Thumbs down’ to Mile-Hi apologist ( Link: http://www.timescall.com/columnists/opinion-local/ci_28838618/ingrid-moore-thumbs-down-mile-hi-apologist )

BY INGRID MOORE
In his letter to the editor of Sept. 11, Peter Gibbons claimed that the number of thumbs down vs. thumbs up on the Times-Call Intense Debate (ID) site is proof that Citizens for Quiet Skies (CQS) is supported by a only few individuals.

Activity on ID is a ridiculous and invalid way to assess support for anything. ID is an online service subscribed to by the paper where an individual can create a login using any name they make up. They can then post anonymous comments in response to something published in the paper, including a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” to someone else’s comment. However, there is no verification of or guard against one individual creating multiple login names, and some people create multiple personas. These people can vote several times, so counting these is meaningless. Also, they can be from anywhere in the world and are not at all representative of the local community.

When people who support the issue that CQS has raised do dare to speak up in the Opinion page, using their real names, they are viciously attacked by the Mile-Hi Skydiving (MHS) supporters posting on ID. With anonymity, the members of the skydiving/aviation community seem to feel safe in attempting to intimidate with personal attacks, accusations and inaccuracies. The comments posted to Bill Ellis’ recent column is one example. There have even been what appear to be retaliatory low altitude flyovers of people’s residences. With the comments they post and numerous retaliatory actions, the skydiving community portrays itself as a group of selfish, self-centered, arrogant and, at times, vicious people who think they are defending their sport and MHS.

Is this how the skydiving community really wants to be represented? The fact that MHS does not discourage this speaks volumes. If this were my business, I would not tolerate this type of behavior on my behalf.

Some of those posting comments persistently accuse CQS of having a nefarious secret agenda to close the airport. This is not only false, it is irresponsible and has caused the mistaken perception on the part of local pilots that they have to choose between the airport and quality of life as promoted by CQS. There is actually no basis for this. CQS is not against the sport of skydiving; the group objects to the use of the two MHS loud Twin Otters circling continuously over the local area from dawn to dark.

Gibbons criticizes members of CQS who do not live in Longmont. The owner of MHS does not live in Longmont. CQS supporters live in Longmont, Niwot, Gunbarrel and the surrounding area in Boulder County. There are also supporters from far away who are facing similar situations and so are following this noise issue closely.

Gibbons asserted that MHS is an asset to the community, using as an example the transportation of city officials during the floods of 2013. Not to discount this contribution, I might point out that there were no skydiving customers right then, so his schedule was pretty open. And as far as being the training center for the Broncos skydiving exhibition team, to me this is not worth the tradeoff for the quiet enjoyment of my home.

He claims that very weekend there are people in the parking lot at the airport watching the skydivers— yes, two or three, mostly with kids. And they can leave any time they tire of watching, unlike the many of us who cannot escape the continuous noise from his Twin Otter airplanes. If you’re tired of reading about the issue, then quit reading about it. The people impacted by the noise don’t have the choice to walk away.

How is this business a true asset to Longmont when they have been operating for the past eight years without paying over $41,000 per year in lease fees owed and pay nothing for the use of the parachute landing zone? And they do not generate sales tax revenue for the city— skydiving is exempted by law from sales taxes. What does the community really get out of this? How do I, as a citizen of Longmont, benefit in any way from this?
Paraphrasing a previous T-C Line call, how can a business be considered a good community citizen when it knows the concerns of residents but refuses to compromise, has to hire a PR firm to speak for it, and has been sued in desperation by its own community seeking relief from excessive noise? Ingrid Moore has been a resident of
Longmont for 20 years. Her yard is a certified wildlife habitat, and I am a concerned citizen involved with environmental and quality of life issues.

9/19/2015 – Times Call
Surely, motorcycles are city’s purview (Link; http://www.timescall.com/opinion/letterstotheeditor/ci_28838775/surely-longmont-can-do-something-about-loud-motorcycles )

I think that Quiet Skies might profitably turn their attention to motorcycles and rename their efforts Quiet Streets. Bemusedly, I have followed as they worked fruitlessly on abating skydiving noise. When Darcy and I moved to Longmont, we knew there was an airport nearby and that airplanes make noise. In fact, our house is a mile from the airport, and in buying a house just two blocks from Airport Road, we knew what we were getting into.
But there is not a Motorcycle Avenue in town. Almost any downtown street will have had the reverberating blatting of motorcycles whose mufflers have been modified to be out of compliance with EPA regulations. Those motorcyclists make noise purposefully, as opposed to the skydiving whose noise is merely ancillary to its operation.

This is a problem where council and police can have positive effect. Motorcycle noise is, or should be, more closely under city control than is airport or train noise with their federal involvement. With rigorous and consistent enforcement of clearly written regulations, Longmont can create a reputation as a city that is friendly to motorcyclists but not tolerant of excessive noise. If we can limit cruising with local regulation, surely we can as well limit vehicular traffic noise.
Richard Juday
Longmont

TAKE ACTION
Write a letter to the editor. Send your thoughtful letter, 300 words or less (be sure to include your address and phone number), to:
Times Call: [email protected]
Daily Camera: [email protected]

Pressed for time? Call the TC-Line and leave a comment: 720-494-5485

ONLINE RESOURCES
TRACK FLIGHTS WITH WEBTRAK
http://webtrak5.bksv.com/den3

QUIET SKIES Web Site: CitizensForQuietSkies.org

LIKE US ON FACEbook

We’re also on Twitter at https://twitter.com/kgibbsBoulder

To register a noise complaint: http://citizensforquietskies.org/help/complaint/

Jumpdude

Activity on ID is a ridiculous and invalid way to assess support for anything. ID is an online service subscribed to by the paper where an individual can create a login using any name they make up. They can then post anonymous comments in response to something published in the paper, including a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” to someone else’s comment. However, there is no verification of or guard against one individual creating multiple login names, and some people create multiple personas. These people can vote several times, so counting these is meaningless. Also, they can be from anywhere in the world and are not at all representative of the local community.

The hypocrisy and irony of her actually typing this after being shown in court that one of the CQS members had set up an automated complaint call which was responsible for 90% of the complaints the airport received is epic.

Jumpdude

Hello friends,

I hope you enjoyed yet another beautiful, quiet and peaceful evening in Boulder County. There were no skydiving operations (that I'm aware of) yesterday or today. The lack of activity on Tuesday and Wednesday has become common over the past several weeks. We also notice that on weekdays, the operations typically end by 5:30. These recent changes are unprecedented. In the past, operations would go up until dark nearly every day of the week. Why have they changed? Is it due to negotiations with the city for the South Parcel lease? Are the changes mandatory? We simply don't know. City officials are not offering any information about the lease negotiations.

We can be certain that without a binding and mandatory agreement, any recent improvements will be short lived. Also, Mile-Hi continues to operate 2 twin otters and a king air on weekends. An essential element of our efforts is that the twin otters must be removed from service. They are inappropriate aircraft for frequent use over residential areas.

And this has been on the MHS website for years:

We skydive year-round on weekends, as well as Thursday thru Sunday in the Spring and Summer time.
Our office is open 7 days a week year-round for appointments. Please call us at 303-702-9911.

Winter Hours
Friday-Sunday 9:00am- Sunset

Spring and Summer Hours
Thursday-Friday 9:00am- Sunset
Saturday-Sunday 8:00am- Sunset

Maybe if the CQS droids had ever bothered to note when MHS actually operates, they wouldn't make fools of themselves by:
- Claiming credit for a non-existent change.
- Repeatedly whining about 24x7 noise.
- Filing noise complaints on days when MHS isn't even flying.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Hello friends,

And this has been on the MHS website for years:

We skydive year-round on weekends, as well as Thursday thru Sunday in the Spring and Summer time.
Our office is open 7 days a week year-round for appointments. Please call us at 303-702-9911.

Winter Hours
Friday-Sunday 9:00am- Sunset

Spring and Summer Hours
Thursday-Friday 9:00am- Sunset
Saturday-Sunday 8:00am- Sunset

Maybe if the CQS droids had ever bothered to note when MHS actually operates, they wouldn't make fools of themselves by:
- Claiming credit for a non-existent change.
- Repeatedly whining about 24x7 noise.
- Filing noise complaints on days when MHS isn't even flying.

No credibility at all, I tell ya. Somebody should post the operation hours on there in response just to shut them the fuck up. :|

Well I stopped by today and there was a canopy in the air when I pulled up and it looked like some folks were signing up for a tandem. I bought a shirt foe a friend. I would have bought myself a save the otter shirt but they didn't have fat guy sizes on the rack. Then grabbed a late lunch at a local place and made sure to tell the proprietor that the ONLY reason I was in town was to visit Mile-Hi
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Todays whine: https://www.change.org/p/members-of-congress-urge-congress-to-adopt-regulations-to-reduce-airplane-noise/u/13556604
Seems someone had the audacity to make a 0500 flight to Colorado Springs w/o her prior approval.:S

FYI The flight she is whining about was a 1968 Beech D55 (Baron) at 4300' AGL which was 0.5 mile West of her at the closest point in the flight path.

ryoder

Todays whine: https://www.change.org/p/members-of-congress-urge-congress-to-adopt-regulations-to-reduce-airplane-noise/u/13556604
Seems someone had the audacity to make a 0500 flight to Colorado Springs w/o her prior approval.:S

FYI The flight she is whining about was a 1968 Beech D55 (Baron) at 4300' AGL which was 0.5 mile West of her at the closest point in the flight path.

That poor airplane is being blamed for making noise??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I was wondering why they were dragging me into this...

[inline Barry.JPG]

Also, makes me wonder how many people of the 411 signatures signed more than once... not that they would do that or anything. :D