stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

Miss Mahoney's opinion twice states the skydiving company has had exclusive use of the 40 acres. Not true.
Any aviation use is allowed there. Powered paragliders and powered hang gliders operate there regularly, and there was a Fly In and barbeque for antique plane owners that used the East end of it about 3 weeks ago. Not exclusive use. Shared use. All aviation users may access this parcel.

Her argument that Mile Hi should pay for past usage is silly. No one pays lease payments unless they are contractually required to do so. This 20 year lease agreement comes with obligations from both the lessor and the lessee. Lessee pays what is contractually required and the lessor must allow the usage. Negotiations over this would not rise to this level of attention without inflammatory fuel from the lawsuit losers and their followers.

Boomerdog

Well, I hope that is made plain in the Longmount press. Sad to say but even if CQS does fork over the $$$ for court costs, you guys and gals still have one hell of a war on your hands.

It doesn't really seem like it. The Times Call is an irrelevant little rag, just one step above the free "Newspapers" that someone keeps littering my lawn with. Honestly they're probably just beating this dead horse because it's really about the only news that ever happens in Longmont. Well, other than the occasional stabbing.

And the city council seems to generally be pretty reasonable in their dealings with Mile Hi. They're well aware that they'd be in danger of having to retroactively repay millions of dollars in FAA grants if they made a concerted effort to push the dropzone out.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Here's the propaganda from Kimmie that came a little while ago!
_________________________________________________________________________________________

EDITORIALS
Many thanks to all who have taken the time to write letters to the newspaper and call the TC-Line! I share both pro and con letters so that you can consider other views, and RESPOND with your own letter. Keep the letters flowing!

8/20 Times Call
Progress won’t halt for your peace and quiet

When I first moved to Longmont its population was 50,000. The city limit was Ninth Street. Hover and Airport roads were one-laners. Cows and horses grazed in town. The airport was smaller, there was less street traffic, and yes, it was a lot quieter.

Times change; the population has doubled, the city has spread in every direction, and all the farms and meadowlarks are gone. You can’t stop progress any more than you can a flood, and Longmont has seen a lot of both. So to the Quiet Skies folks, I say your environment has changed, so either cope with it or move to a quieter area like Wyoming or Montana. Longmont and Colorado will not grind to a halt for anyone’s peace and quiet. Close your windows, turn up the TV or AC, and dream of a quieter time.

Unfortunately you’re 25 years too late in complaining.

Richard Savino
Longmont

8/19 Times Call
Longmont skydivers part of world record

On a positive note in skydiving news, the existing skydiving headdown world record of 138 people was broken July 31. That day, 164 people, 12 of whom live in Colorado, set a skydiving world record at Skydive Chicago in Ottawa, Ill. Of those 12 Colorado residents, eight call Mile-Hi Skydiving their home drop zone. The only other states with greater participation were California and Arizona.

It took 13 attempts to set the world record. Each jump involved seven planes, flying in tight formation at an altitude of 19,500 feet above the ground. The dive consisted of 164 people holding hands in a pre-specified formation while flying upsidedown (or head-down) at speeds averaging 175 mph. The whole thing had to be completed within 60 seconds in order to provide enough time for every skydiver to track away into clear airspace and have a safe parachute opening. To qualify for an event like this, each participant had to go to one of the three-day tryout camps that were held around the world and receive an invite. The skills and knowledge necessary to get an invite come from years of training in the sport of skydiving. The city of Longmont and the Longmont Airport should be proud to be the home of Mile-Hi Skydiving, which is a training ground for some of the top skydivers in the world.

Skydiving is one of the most misunderstood sports out there. The vimeo link is my point of view from the GoPro that I wore as one of the 164. I hope the reader enjoys it and sheds light on the beauty of skydiving.

My POV: vimeo.com/136150376. Further info on the record can be found at tinyurl.com/vertical-skydive -record.

Brian Ball
Golden

8/19 Times Call (also Camera)
Whining? No, we’re just speaking up for ourselves

Wow! I bet the people calling the Citizens For Quiet Skies “whiners” are the same people who are holding us all hostages in our homes with droning planes. Is it “whining” to try to stop noise pollution? Is it “whining” to stand up for your rights to the enjoyment of your own property? Is it “whining” to ask someone not to buzz your house if you have the courage to stand up for yourself? This is America, guys. Only in Nazi Germany did they think “whining” was punishable.

I think that by trying to punish our “whining” with your little buzzing flybys, you are interfering with our First Amendment rights. Have you ever read the First Amendment of our Constitution? I’ll make it easy for you by stating it here so that you don’t have to look it up.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

The next time you go up, try to enjoy the incredible beauty and freedom of flying over this incredible valley, but remember that there are a lot of your Colorado sisters and brothers down below who are trying to enjoy the same space.

Elizabeth Owen
Boulder

8/16 Times Call (also Camera)
Richard Auletta: Boulder should welcome Mile-Hi Skydiving

Posted: 08/16/2015 08:29:33 AM MDT | Updated: 3 days ago
The kerfuffle over sky diving operations at the Longmont Municipal Airport has a simple solution; Mile-Hi Skydiving (MHS) operates from the Boulder Municipal Airport (BDU).
In my correspondence with the BDU Airport Manager Timothy Head, Mayor Matt Appelbaum, and the City Council, they have all expressed the desire to grow the business and revenues from BDU.

Considering the following points, the city of Boulder should actively solicit MHS to relocate to BDU.
• Mile High Gliding already uses Boulder (Pearl and 28th) as one of its primary glider tow boxes.
• Journeys Aviation Boulder and Specialty Flight Training, with its Cessna Pilot Center, each operate a flight school that use Boulder as their primary touch-and-go flight box.
• The additional revenue will allow the expansion of BDU including lengthening and paving both runways, adding an additional runway and instrument landing system (ILS), and a 24/7 staffed tower that would make BDU an all-weather ILS air transportation hub for Boulder and Boulder County.
• Boulder is infinitely more photogenic than Longmont.

BDU already hosts 50,000 flights a year, a flight every six minutes during daylight hours, making MHS a perfect addition to BDU's business base, increasing both Boulder tax revenues and quality of life.

The city of Boulder can surely find MHS a drop zone near BDU; Valmont Park comes to mind.

Watching parachutists floating down over Boulder with the Flatirons in the background would be a joy to behold.
Advertisement
So I say, as should all the citizens of Boulder, we want Mile-Hi Skydiving and the business bonanza its operations will bring to the city of Boulder.

Richard Auletta

8/17 Times Call

Mile-Hi has little regard for residents it impacts

Fortunately, I live near the Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport, which is responsive to local concerns. The problems that unleashed more than 4,000 complaints in 2010 have all but disappeared. In 2013, the airport responded courteously to multiple concerns about an explosion on their property during a fireworks show.

Given public relations efforts at RMMA, I’m increasingly amazed at how Mile-Hi Skydiving is allowed to conduct itself at Vance Brand Municipal Airport. The company compromises the relationship the airport has with neighboring communities.

How does a company in the age of social media maintain a business with so little regard for the residents whose lives it impacts? Part of the answer may be that customers who drive from Golden or Littleton to take skydiving lessons are not aware of the company’s practices. As media attention escalates, this will change.

I’m grateful to live where neighbors care about one another and where businesses take civic responsibility seriously. I empathize with the people whose lives are disrupted by hours of airplane noise that they could not have anticipated when they bought their homes.

JanWhitt
Superior

unpublished letter to editor

I used to run my aircraft sales business out of Longmont. Good safe airport, good service, good relationship with the city, friendly people. Then the skydivers took over, and everything changed. I moved my 3-5 million dollar sales business to Metro Airport. I have nothing against a skydiving operation, but Longmont was just not the right place for it.

I'm a 25,000+ hour professional pilot, a Certified Flight Instructor for 40 continuous years, never an accident or incident. I've seen too many people killed doing the wrong things with airplanes. I moved my business out of Longmont because the skydiving operation was an accident waiting to happen. I am asked often by clients where I would recommend they take flying lessons. Longmont is not on this list. I would not allow my son to take his lessons there. I fly a corporate King Air for five different companies. If one of them wants to fly to Longmont, we land at Metro or Ft. Collins/Loveland and drive down.

There is a place for a skydiving operation, this area is not the right place. There has been some minor accidents with this operation, but thankfully, nothing major so far. But, this doesn't prove that it is a safe operation. After all, you are right five out of six times playing Russian Roulette.

Mark Hegg
CFI ATP

TAKE ACTION
Write a letter to the editor. Send your thoughtful and rational letter,
300 words or less (be sure to include your address and phone number), to:

Times Call: [email protected]
Daily Camera: [email protected]

Pressed for time? Call the TC-Line and leave a comment: 720-494-5485

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here's the second email
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Citizens For Quiet Skies:

I am delighted to report that, as a result of YOUR EFFORTS, Congressman Jared Polis has enthusiastically joined the Quiet Skies Congressional Caucus. This is great news and a big step in the right direction. We were recently informed that the FAA Reauthorization process has stalled due to a current emphasis on the longterm highway reauthorization. However, we were assured that the Reauthorization negotiations will continue later this year, in the October or November timeframe. We will keep you posted.

In light of these recent developments, we want to focus efforts on gaining more Quiet Skies Caucus members and other outreach. We'll come back to the FAA Reauthorization when the time is right. Please take just a few moments to participate in this week's TAKE ACTION below.

Thank you all for your ongoing support and dedication.
-Kim

TAKE ACTION - BUILDING QUIET SKIES CAUCUS MEMBERSHIP
1. For constituents of Congressman Jared Polis
(Unincorporated Boulder County and city of Boulder)
Please send a brief email to Congressman Polis to thank him
for joining the Quiet Skies Caucus.

Jared Polis: [email protected]
Jennifer George-Nichol: [email protected]
Danielle Henry: [email protected]

Sample: Dear Congressman Polis,
Thank you so much for joining the Quiet Skies Congressional Caucus. I really appreciate you taking that action. I look forward to seeing meaningful provisions in the FAA reauthorization bill to restore sanity to our neighborhoods currently being robbed of peace and quiet by excessive skydiving jump plane noise. The problem is not skydiving, it’s the recent unrestrained growth of skydiving jump plane noise that needs to be regulated within reasonable limits that accounts for the needs of residents, not just skydive operators.

2. For constituents of Congressman Ken Buck (4th District)
(Longmont) as well as residents outside Boulder County
Write an email to Congressman Ken Buck urging him to join
the Quiet Skies caucus. Simply cut and paste the letter
from the link below into an email. Feel free to edit it to
suit your personal style.

Sample Letter to Congress - Join Quiet Skies Caucus (link; http://citizensforquietskies.org/sample-letter-to-congress-member-please-join-quiet-skies-caucuc/ )

Find your Congress member's email here: Directory of Representatives · House.gov (Link; http://www.house.gov/representatives/ )

UPCOMING EVENTS
1. Longmont residents meet with Congressman Ken Buck
WHEN: Tuesday, Aug 25 from 1 to 3 pm
WHERE: Longmont City Council study session room, 350 Kimbark St.

Congressman’s aide to conduct Longmont office hours (8/20 Times Call article)

U.S. Rep. Ken Buck, R-Windsor, will have a staff member available in Longmont on Tuesday afternoon to hear 4th Congressional District constituents’ concerns and assist people attempting to navigate federal programs, according to Buck’s office.
The Buck staffer’s office hours will be from 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday in the Longmont City Council study session room, 350 Kimbark St., Longmont.
Constituents are encouraged to bring any relevant documents about any problems they’ve encountered dealing with the federal bureaucracy. For further information, call Wes McKinley at 970-702-2136.

2. Longmont Farmers Market this Saturday, Aug. 22

Please stop by to say hello!

IN THE NEWS
1. It’s interesting that the FAA logo is positioned next to this “news” article:

http://www.aero-news.net/subsite.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=e23ed8e6-c717-4d5d-96f1-1181d7718b0b

2. Longmont activist and public servant extrordinaire JOAN PECK has announced her candidacy for Longmont City Council. You can learn more about Joan at joanpeck.com

ONLINE RESOURCES
TRACK FLIGHTS WITH WEBTRAK
http://webtrak5.bksv.com/den3

QUIET SKIES Web Site: CitizensForQuietSkies.org

New court document available – Motion to Reconsider Attorney Fees
Court Documents (Link; http://citizensforquietskies.org/the-lawsuit/court-documents/ )

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

We’re also on Twitter at https://twitter.com/kgibbsBoulder

To register a noise complaint: http://citizensforquietskies.org/help/complaint/

Jumpdude

// I moved my business out of Longmont because the skydiving operation was an accident waiting to happen.

// There has been some minor accidents with this operation, but thankfully, nothing major so far. But, this doesn't prove that it is a safe operation. After all, you are right five out of six times playing Russian Roulette.

Mark Hegg
CFI ATP

This is the one that disappoints me.
All it proves is that people who know something about aviation don't necessarily understand skydiving... what a pathetically provincial world-view from someone who by their own admission has no stake in the game anymore.

I bet there's a deeper story there.

yoink

// I moved my business out of Longmont because the skydiving operation was an accident waiting to happen.

// There has been some minor accidents with this operation, but thankfully, nothing major so far. But, this doesn't prove that it is a safe operation. After all, you are right five out of six times playing Russian Roulette.

Mark Hegg
CFI ATP

All it proves is that people who know something about aviation don't necessarily understand skydiving... what a pathetically provincial world-view from someone who by their own admission has no stake in the game anymore.

Nothing new here. We've seen many times the "good ol' boys" club at the airport not wanting skydivers around. Partly because they don't understand the sport but mostly because they think the airport is "theirs" and do not like to share. Unfortunate? [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

Mark Hegg
CFI ATP

Nothing new here. We've seen many times the "good ol' boys" club at the airport not wanting skydivers around. Partly because they don't understand the sport but mostly because they think the airport is "theirs" and do not like to share. Unfortunate? [:/]

Saw it happen to Gold Coast Skydivers at Moss Point. >:(

Plaintiffs have filed "Motion to Reconsider Award of Attorneys Fees": http://citizensforquietskies.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015-08-13-23-03-50-Motion-to-Reconsider-Attorney-Fee-Award-Final.pdf

Hopefully, the judge reconsiders, then awards *all* of what the defense requested.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Hopefully, the judge reconsiders, then awards *all* of what the defense requested.>:(

...plus, all NEW expenses incurred by the defendants.

It sounds as if (if I'm reading this correctly) they want the organization "CQS" to be the only one liable? So later they can walk away from any monetary penalty. Kimmey must be feeling the heat? ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

...plus, all NEW expenses incurred by the defendants.

It sounds as if (if I'm reading this correctly) they want the organization "CQS" to be the only one liable? So later they can walk away from any monetary penalty. Kimmey must be feeling the heat? ;)

Then she bankrupts out of paying anything!

Nothing new here. We've seen many times the "good ol' boys" club at the airport not wanting skydivers around. Partly because they don't understand the sport but mostly because they think the airport is "theirs" and do not like to share. Unfortunate?

++1. Aside form the very loud voices like Kimmi's, I think airport access is a very real threat to our sport in the long-term. I've seen it myself - good ol' boys have a Federally-funded airport that they want to use all to themselves, and want their Saturdays free of other users so they can push their aircraft out of the hangars, drink their coffee, and push them back in. A general aviation airport then becomes a taxpayer funded Country Club for pilots. Longmont has not issued exclusive rights to Mile High, and any and all pilots are able to use the airport at their leisure.
=========Shaun ==========

Plaintiffs have filed "Motion to Reconsider Award of Attorneys Fees": http://citizensforquietskies.org/...-Fee-Award-Final.pdf

So in simple terms they file this, and it stops the payments because it is back in front of the court? Seems like a pretty easy way to pay a couple $100 bucks to the lawyer that got you in the mess and to hold up payments....
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

Plaintiffs have filed "Motion to Reconsider Award of Attorneys Fees": http://citizensforquietskies.org/...-Fee-Award-Final.pdf

So in simple terms they file this, and it stops the payments because it is back in front of the court? Seems like a pretty easy way to pay a couple $100 bucks to the lawyer that got you in the mess and to hold up payments....

Ain't America great? :-)

CSpenceFLY

Ain't America great? :-)

Anybody know how much, if any, that Cary Quattrocchi has paid Skydive Arizona in that other case?

08/27/2015: Letter to the editor from Jennifer Skiwot.
She was the very confused plaintiff witness who stated that:
- The only a/c that *land* at KLMO are the jump planes.
- She has no problems with *propellor* driven a/c.
http://www.timescall.com/opinion/letterstotheeditor/ci_28715587/jennifer-skwiot-does-city-longmont-share-residents-concerns

08/29/2015: Guest opinion by Byron Dunn.
And it is a *positive* piece!:)http://www.timescall.com/columnists/opinion-local/ci_28721518/byron-dunn-i-wouldnt-notice-planes-if-it-quiet-skies-longmont

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Aint America a great place......

It is huge and there are plenty of quiet places all around the country.

You would think an intelligent person or persons, when confronted by so much onerous noise as Kim and her all too sensitive little minions would band together.... take advantage of a great real estate market.... and move to a quieter place.

I fear though... that even if they did find their nirvana of quiet.. she and her friends next object of lawsuits would be crickets with their deafening incessant noise.

ryoder

***Ummm....

Both links are the same.

Oops.:$
Fixed now.

No biggie. Mistakes happen.

At least you know that some people actually read the stuff you link.;)

I love what the second one has to say. (Now that I can read it :P). You don' t notice stuff that doesn't bother you.

You really notice stuff that does bother you (generic "you").

The actual noise level is secondary to the "annoyance level." The judge made a comment about this in her judgement.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Here's today's installment from Kimmie's propaganda dept!
__________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Quiet Skies supporters:

I encourage our supporters to take the time – today - to respond to Mr. Gibbons letter below. After enduring last weekend’s off-the-charts noise abuse from 3 jump planes operating concurrently, I hope that many of you will be motivated to set the record straight. The noise problem is real, and Mile-Hi Skydiving should be held accountable for the ongoing nuisance they are creating.

We are working to put the finishing touches on proposed provisions in the FAA Reauthorization. Those updates will be disclosed soon.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Times Call 9/11/2015

Quiet Skies represents very few residents

I would like to bring to your attention all of the feedback via the “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” feature that has been published in response to Citizens for Quiet Skies.
With every editorial posted referencing this organization, the feedback has consistently shown that the people do not agree with them. The facts are that CQS consists of less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the residents of Longmont and that the majority is exhausted with them. Residents appear to support the company that is based in their city, not someone who lives in Gunbarrel.

Mile-Hi Skydiving has proven to be an asset to the community through support of combat veterans and the transportation of city officials during the floods of 2013. Did everyone forget what Mile-Hi is to the community? It should also be noted that Mile-Hi is the training center for the Denver Broncos skydiving exhibition team “Thunderstorm.” We all love seeing these guys jump into the Broncos games. Also, every weekend I see the residents of Longmont gathered at the statue, paid for by the city, watching and enjoying the skydivers.

Why all of the negative press? Over someone who doesn’t even work or live in our city? Lastly, why is the Longmont City Council addressing issues from someone who doesn’t even live here? Why? I think we have enough to handle.

Peter Gibbons
Longmont

TAKE ACTION
Write a letter to the editor. Send your thoughtful letter, 300 words or less (be sure to include your address and phone number), to:
Times Call: [email protected]
Daily Camera: [email protected]

Pressed for time? Call the TC-Line and leave a comment: 720-494-5485

ONLINE RESOURCES
TRACK FLIGHTS WITH WEBTRAK: http://webtrak5.bksv.com/den3

QUIET SKIES Web Site: CitizensForQuietSkies.org

LIKE US ON FACEbook

We’re also on Twitter at https://twitter.com/kgibbsBoulder

To register a noise complaint: http://citizensforquietskies.org/help/complaint/

08/09/2015: Stephen Henninger posted this Pro-CQS letter to the editor: http://www.timescall.com/opinion/letterstotheeditor/ci_28607867/stephen-henninger-keep-going-quiet-skies

09/12/2015: Stephen Henninger took the time to educate himself, and the result is his retraction:http://www.timescall.com/opinion/letterstotheeditor/ci_28803112/stephen-henninger-i-retract-my-opinion-about-mile

Kimmy's FB post today:
"Another letter in today's Times Call. Mr. Henninger's backpeddling is a disappointment. He is clearly a kind a thoughtful man who has been led astray."

So sad that someone allowed facts to influence their opinion.:D