stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

Unfortunately, I believe this lady is confused. I live near one of the largest DZ's in the US. I have been outside talking to more than one of my neighbors when an airplane fly's over. They all look up and say "That's one of those sky diving planes." Even if its a jet, an old radial or the counties twin they fly around at a couple hundred feet looking for code violators.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

tdog

All: this website and Facebook and an internet blog were admitted into testimony to show the judge that the skydiving community was hostile towards complainers and that more people would have likely complained but for the risks associated with complaining. Specifically, some very derogatory comments made online regarding Kim were shown to witnesses for them to make comments (and thus the judge saw them.) Also some pre-trial motions were decided based on online comments in favor of the plaintiff. The DZO, who is footing the bill for the trial, said Dropzone.com and Facebook "did us no favors" to his (our) case .. On behalf of many Colorado skydivers, who attended the trial and showed the judge and plaintiff respect, please keep it kind. You may disagree with Kim, but because of the active trial, and the fight with the City is far from over, it is important to keep it polite. The other thread on this topic was shutdown with pretty strong words by Sangrio. Please don't rehash that...

Anything can be admitted as evidence in court, especially civil court. It does not mean it has merit or bearing. And as I remember, the right to Freedom of Speech exists in this country and as long as I stay within Forum guidelines, on this forum as well.

If Mz. Gibbs and her band of seven or whiners had not started this fight, had not continued this fight, had not brought this fight from the airport authority to the courts, her name would not be mentioned by any skydiver anywhere. But she continues to make her name known in the media, then she can expect some derision.

If comments on this forum are the deciding factor in the judge's decision instead of the facts in the case, then the DZ was screwed anyway. There is no evidence that those comments aren't made by members of CQS themselves. Anyone worldwide can register on this site and make comments. even CQS members.

Lastly, if destroying a business and past time for many people doesn't raise the ire of a few people, then that business was doomed anyway. It is that very passion for skydiving that drives this sport and the jumpers themselves in ways that most people cannot understand.

Kim and her cronies are a bunch of addle-brained twits who have nothing better to do with their time but make those around them miserable for no other reason than they are miserable themselves. They should be ashamed of themselves for the waste of time, money, and energy.

Jump more, post less!

if destroying a business and past time for many people doesn't raise the ire of a few people, then that business was doomed anyway. It is that very passion for skydiving that drives this sport and the jumpers themselves in ways that most people cannot understand.

Considering how much recreation and tourism contribute not just to the economy, but to the very identity, of Colorado, one would hope that perspective would have some real traction.

So she claimed she could read the tail numbers on the airplane. Why of course she can. Anyone with decent eyesight and a pair of binoculars can. And obviously she has a pair, and was proudly photographed using them looking for the plane. See attachment

And you gotta love this from the news story:

The Twin Otter faintly droned overhead, the sound barely beating out the rustling leaves of a nearby tree, as 11 people listened intently from a back patio in south Longmont on Saturday afternoon.

I'm sure they can show flights that went over Kim's house in the past......so they better be able to explain why they didn't (if they didn't) on the day of the visits. I would guess they are trying to "prove" that what the judge heard and saw was not the norm?

Any of you lawyer types know if this is normally allowed?
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

ryoder

Plaintiiffs have filed an emergency motion.
See the "EMERGENCY MOTION" thread: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Citizens-For-Quiet-Skies/213188222077598

Sheesh...

Along with the motion, we provided numerous WebTrak radar graphics showing recent flight tracks and 14 affidavits from observers of the site visit flights.

Where'd they drum up 14 people to observe the site visit flights and what the hell did they observe?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Where'd they drum up 14 people to observe the site visit flights and what the hell did they observe?

I'm guessing they have 14 people that will say that the flights of that day weren't the "normal" pattern of the aircraft which is easily backed up buy public record.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I'm guessing they have 14 people that will say that the flights of that day weren't the "normal"

My litigation attorney brain figured they'd probably do that after the site visit the very first time I read that the site visit would take place. I can almost guarantee you the plan to discredit the site visit, one way or another, was formed before the visit even took place. I'd have been shocked if they hadn't filed this motion... or done something like it. Oh, well, they're nothing if not predictable. Hopefully the court will see this predictable move for what it is.

theonlyski

That is close to the number of plaintiffs + plaintiff witnesses:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zKQ6pG6EdTr8.kbNPdazfzHvk
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Andy9o8

I'm guessing they have 14 people that will say that the flights of that day weren't the "normal"

My litigation attorney brain figured they'd probably do that after the site visit the very first time I read that the site visit would take place. I can almost guarantee you the plan to discredit the site visit, one way or another, was formed before the visit even took place. I'd have been shocked if they hadn't filed this motion... or done something like it. Oh, well, they're nothing if not predictable. Hopefully the court will see this predictable move for what it is.

Smack!
http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_28055157/judge-denies-quiet-skies-request-site-visit-rebuttalB|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Excellent.

The transcript from the hearing made for great reading this morning too.
From a laymans perspective it seems like the plaintiffs have made some poor choices all the way through the hearing. Fantastic. :)

Fingers crossed the verdict goes for MHS tomorrow and the CQS crew disappear ignominiously into the dark.

Boomerdog

Never get in the way when your opponent is digging a hole for themselves.

Of course you could politely offer him a bigger shovel!

I'm mostly just standin' over here eatin' mah popcorn! B|

Ok ok I know, I can't resist being a sarcastic bastard sometimes, but in my defense I'm pretty good at it!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

"So who are you going to believe?
Me or your lying ears?"
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

So... Maybe I've just missed it in all the "din" ) But...

Has anyone ever, clearly determined specifically why Ms. Gibbs apparently has such a hard-on for MH in particular, ans skydiving in general?

I mean seriously - she has now gone well out of her way, making HERSELF miserable over all this. The truly sad part is how she has in her own (whatever it is... delusions?) now also effected, and COST others. Didn't I read something somewhere - maybe it was long ago, and not completely related... but that she may have had either some involvement (romantic or otherwise) with Skydiving in her previous home / earlier life in FL ...That also ended there upon her relocation near MH, in some sort of (unrelated - but now maybe actually causal to all this in the 1st place) conflict?

Has any of that ever been further looked into, substantiated (or not) - or brought out?

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Scrumpot

Has anyone ever, clearly determined specifically why Ms. Gibbs apparently has such a hard-on for MH in particular, ans skydiving in general?

It's not just skydiving, it's all things aviation. She's made complaints about flights over her area above 10,000' that had nothing to do with skydiving.

She likely doesn't care about how much it's costing others, she was accepting a bunch of donations for the legal team (then there is some ambiguity as to if the funds for her cause which was listed as non profit were being used to contribute to political campaigns).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Scrumpot

I gather that she just wants to live in the country in perfect silence. But she didn't move to quiet country, she chose to settle near an airport. And now she wants to make everyone else conform to her poorly selected dream location. The world is full of people like this...

If I was going to be like that, I'd ban barking and pooping dogs. But that wouldn't go over so well either.

I truth, I don't have a clue about the past you refer to. All I know is what I read here and in other places.

Geographically, I know you and I are far removed from the situation. I'm looking at this with respect to the second order effects a decision against MHS might have on a national scale.