stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

JWest

***The witness in the article is the defense acoustic expert witness.
The plaintiffs had their own acoustic expert witness earlier in the week.

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_27937014/noise-expert-says-mile-hi-doesnt-have-loudest

52% were made by one person. The judge should see the bias right there.

Some people are incapable of accepting any fun into their lives. In this case the primary driving force of CQS hates anyone else who might be having any too!!

Amazon

******The witness in the article is the defense acoustic expert witness.

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_27937014/noise-expert-says-mile-hi-doesnt-have-loudest

52% were made by one person. The judge should see the bias right there.

Complaint data collected between Jan. 1, 2014, and Dec. 13, 2014, found that 1,646 airport noise complaints about operations at Vance Brand were made by 110 people, and that 52 percent of complaints were made by one person.

One person made 855 complaints during the data collection period mentioned? (Jan. 1, 2014, and Dec. 13, 2014)

Kimberley's gripe is not necessarily peak decibel levels but decibel levels over time. So, I'm not sure why the judge is even heading out for a field trip. At the end of the day it boils down to one's ability to tolerate a particular duration of noise at any decibel, frequency, pitch, etc. Some people can't even stand to be at the dinner table with anyone due to their inability to cope with normal eating noises. In my view Kimberly has the same condition except with Twin otter engine noise. I hope Kimberly and CQS suffer a major defeat, sell their homes and move farther away from society.

FYI
I attended every minute of the trial over the week. I began with a new 5"x7" 100-page notebook, and used 87 pages. I was originally planning to type them up, but after seeing how lengthy they were, I decided it would be better to just request a transcript and use my notes to find the places to highlight and comment. Then the judge threw out the curveball of the site visits in two weeks. So I expect the transcript won't be available until then.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

The witness in the article is the defense acoustic expert witness.

Defense : " I call Billy Vance to the stand"
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

SoCalJumper

One person made 855 complaints during the data collection period mentioned? (Jan. 1, 2014, and Dec. 13, 2014)

Not only is she apparently a moron for moving in next to an airport and then having a problem with the noise, she's also apparently loopier than a roller coaster park (which she'd probably also hate, since she seems to have about as much tolerance for fun as the wicked witch of the west has for water).
cavete terrae.

Here is a Google map showing:
- Pink: The LMO Parachute Operations area, as defined by the FAA.
- Green: The KLMO runway.
- Red pins: The homes of the plaintiffs.

Click on the object names in the box on the left to highlight them.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zKQ6pG6EdTr8.kf8QjxfN3EsU
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The fact is: Trains at crossings and in general, airplanes, back up OSHA dingers on construction tractors, loudspeakers at car dealerships, highway traffic with cars and semis, farm tractors, drag strips, outdoor bars and dozens of other examples are the sounds of commerce. The commerce cannot exist with the sounds that are part of it. All of these are annoying, but exist because they are necessary parts of the world of business and commerce.

In my opinion, the problem here is that skydiving is pretty much considered to be unnecessary and therefore in their minds, an expendable business because it is (my opinion) considered to be unworthy of the same respect. It's a "tough sell" for us skydivers to convince the general public otherwise.

I think the general public would tolerate a lot of constant noise because most would agree that business and commerce is a good thing and would just live with the constant sound. I attended and none of the plaintiffs or witnesses for them objected to airplanes that were admittedly much much noisier. So, the decibels, even though pretty low, are not the problem. They all objected to the "constant drone" etc of the morning to night operations which consisted of the Otter(s) Super King Airs every 20 minutes or so all day all weekend.

In my opinion, they wouldn't object, to the point of filing a lawsuit, and donating money if they considered the noise intrusion to be a legitimate business activity. Because they don't, the constant noise is an irritation that is not bearable because they don't consider skydiving a legitimate or necessary activity.

totter

Has the DZ ever considered installing 4-bladed props? The noise level on climb is quite noticeable compared to the 3-bladed props.

The 4-bladed props are produced and sold by a third party, (Raisbeck), and not the mfgr.
They are authorized for use on the DHC-6-300.
MHS has a DHC-6-100.

But that doesn't stop the plaintiffs from demanding they be installed on MHS a/c.

2015 April 15 - From the redirect examination of Kim Gibbs;

What CQS wants from the court as an injunction:

1. The Twin Otter must not be flown.
2. No plane with a capacity over 15 passengers may be flown.
3. All aircraft must be equipped with "quiet propellors".
4. Only one aircraft may be flown at a time.
5. Monday through Friday, aircraft may only be flown 0900-1700.
6. MHS may only operate 8 hours per day on weekends. (Exact hours not stated).
7. Hours must be "reduced" on summer holidays. (Number of hours not stated).

(The other part of their demands is reimbursement of alleged lost property values.)

The lost property values is a laughable claim, considering that if there was a discount in value based on location, they would have already benefited from it at time of purchase, since they purchased their homes after the operation was already in place.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Thank god...for a moment I thought that their demands would be such that MHS couldn't turn a profit and be driven out of business...at least that humorless scold who is the wife of the local bagman, er, politician reduced her weekend demand...before it was 8 hours total on the weekends. Compromise!

hillson

Thank god...for a moment I thought that their demands would be such that MHS couldn't turn a profit and be driven out of business...at least that humorless scold who is the wife of the local bagman, er, politician reduced her weekend demand...before it was 8 hours total on the weekends. Compromise!

It is possible I misunderstood what she meant by "8 hours".

From the local rag:

http://www.timescall.com/opinion/ci_27756125/ingrid-moore:-suggestions-for-milehi-skydiving

***What would fair and reasonable regulations look like, allowing both the skydiving company and the community to co-exist? Here are a few suggestions:

1. Eliminate the white and purple DeHavilland Twin Otter: This Series 100 model aircraft, built in 1967, cannot be retrofitted with the quieter 4-bladed propellers. The Otter creates a loud, penetrating, low-frequency drone that carries up to 7-8 miles.

3. Allow weekday operations only during regular business hours -- from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. not to exceed 8 hours per day.

4. Allow 8 operating hours total on weekends, and reduced operations on major holidays.

5. Allow jump planes with a maximum capacity of 15 passengers, requiring each aircraft to be equipped with 4-bladed quiet propellers. This allows Mile-Hi to continue utilizing the multiple King Airs currently in their fleet.

6. Allow only one plane to operate at a time, instead of the two or three operating concurrently during peak season. Many skydiving companies utilize only a single, small aircraft, for example Cessna.

These comprise a reasonable solution that would allow skydiving operations to continue and surrounding residents to enjoy some measure of peace and quiet in their homes.

OK, I did not hear her use the word "total", but bear in mind she was on the witness stand and had no notes with her.

ryoder

2015 April 15 - From the redirect examination of Kim Gibbs;

What CQS wants from the court as an injunction:

1. The Twin Otter must not be flown.
2. No plane with a capacity over 15 passengers may be flown.
3. All aircraft must be equipped with "quiet propellors".
4. Only one aircraft may be flown at a time.
5. Monday through Friday, aircraft may only be flown 0900-1700.
6. MHS may only operate 8 hours per day on weekends. (Exact hours not stated).
7. Hours must be "reduced" on summer holidays. (Number of hours not stated).

(The other part of their demands is reimbursement of alleged lost property values.)

I get the feeling CQS is being taken to the cleaners by their lawyer. I don't believe a county judge has the power to rule on any of the things on that list and any lawyer that can pass a bar exam would know that.

As a former DZO I can say from first-hand experience that the FAA has little tolerance for whiners outside the industry who don't understand the protections afforded to "aeronautical uses".
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

I get the feeling CQS is being taken to the cleaners by their lawyer. I don't believe a county judge has the power to rule on any of the things on that list and any lawyer that can pass a bar exam would know that.

As a former DZO I can say from first-hand experience that the FAA has little tolerance for whiners outside the industry who don't understand the protections afforded to "aeronautical uses".

To clarify, this is the 20th District Court, not the Boulder County Court.

ryoder

What CQS wants.........

All I can say is, how does it feel to "WANT"?

I "want" plane rides to altitude to be half of what they are now. Maybe I should sue?

I hope this judge has his/her feet firmly planted in reality. [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."