stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

houses built and bought decades after the airport was established and they're bitching about noise and smells associated with the airport

I was friends at one time with someone involved in an airport lawsuit. His contention (and he was a pilot) was that the difference in traffic amount was the problem. When they bought, there were 5-6 takeoffs a day; when they sued, there were 25-30 or more (on a residential runway).

Multiply that to commercial airport levels, and the WW1 airfield down the road that ends up as an Air Force base becomes more of an issue.

One should be able to anticipate the effects of increased traffic when making a purchase; I tend to think these lawsuits are generally bullshit. But, just like everything else, it's not always just stupid people vs. smart people.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

normiss

Don't most areas have a waiver of sorts for home buys to sign?
I saw the one for the Longmont area and that one makes it clear that air traffic may in fact increase.
They still buy the home near the airport.
:S:S:S

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4528403#4528403

I live 7-8 miles from the closest two non-towered airports and about 12 to MacDill and Tampa International.

I hardly ever hear planes flying and if I do, it's cause they're cruising low.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

normiss

Don't most areas have a waiver of sorts for home buys to sign?
:S:S:S

I have several friends who live near MSP Airport. The Airport commission offered (certain) homeowners new siding, new roof, new windows, etc. All these were designed to midigate noise. The stipulation was, they had to sign an agreement they (or any future owner) would never sue the airport. This agreement went onto their abstract for deed for future buyers. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I live close to Ellington Field; I didn't get anything to sign. When people are practicing for the airshow, or when the shuttle program was more active, we'd have to interrupt phone calls when jets were taking off (particularly considering that they often fly them in pairs). I'm told that in the 1970's you could get sonic booms, too.

The airport was already there; in the 1970's, it was an Air Force base. But I'll admit that when the pilots are all frisky and doing touch and go's in the jets, I can get sick of it. For me, it's a such-is-life thing. But in this "the world must mold itself to my perceived needs" era, I can see where people are surprised when the house gets noisy sometimes.

Doesn't justify being a dipshit, but sometimes understanding where they come from makes for a less confrontational discussion with the ones who aren't just bent on raising hell.

Some are beyond hope. One can only hope that their next home is next to a Harley dealership :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Harley exhaust tones make me smile too!
B|

I remember a show on HGTV where they were giving advice to potential home buyers. Giving the advice of stopping by the house at random times to get a feel for the neighborhood.
They used a couple who had bought a home on the approach path at a large international airport. Apparently the large jets come in only 100ft or so over the house. "It was so quiet in the neighborhood when we looked at the house!"
:D

I also do not like the "We were here first" argument used by either party. It gives it weight were there shouldn't be any. Sounds like a 9 year olds argument. Things change and not always the way we want. I bought my property with an interstate 1/4 mile away. When I looked at it the wind was blowing the noise away. The wind shifted and then I can hear the noise. Sometimes a lot of traffic and there will be more not less in the future. But I dont hear any of it while climbing to altitude in my Cessna 206. One neighbor doesnt like the sound of my airplanes but doesnt hear the highway? I told them they had every right to buy the property before me and control what happens with it. They could buy me out now for the right price and plant flowers for all I care. I have the right to use the airspace just like they have the right to drive down the Hwy in front of my house. We both have to suck up change.

normiss

They used a couple who had bought a home on the approach path at a large international airport. Apparently the large jets come in only 100ft or so over the house. "It was so quiet in the neighborhood when we looked at the house!"

When I lived in Seattle Beavers and Otters flew base leg past my apartment window on their way to a Lake Union landing. I liked that a lot (especially Beavers with the original 985 radials).

In Sunnyvale C130 pilots making their 3 required landings for proficiency fly over my place descending with their gear down on their way into Moffet Field which is pretty neat too. Base leg on a right hand approach is the only thing which makes sense, although officially they have a left hand pattern there.

normiss

I remember a show on HGTV where they were giving advice to potential home buyers. Giving the advice of stopping by the house at random times to get a feel for the neighborhood.

When I was a co-op student working at General Dynamics / Fort Worth, I scoured the entire NW quadrant of the city, looking for the best apt prices, and happily moved into one just a mile from what is now called "NAS Joint Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth".
Then a tanker took off.:S
I was one mile due South of the threshold of the 12,000' Rwy 17/35.
I couldn't even hear my television when KC-135's or F-16's departed 17.
I had already signed the lease, and it was just for 4-5 months, so I put up with it.

I had two more work terms down there, and found an apt to the West which was under the downwind leg of the pattern, but the noise wasn't bad at all, and it was a shorter bike ride into work.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

When I was a co-op student working at General Dynamics / Fort Worth, I scoured the entire NW quadrant of the city, looking for the best apt prices, and happily moved into one just a mile from what is now called "NAS Joint Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth".
Then a tanker took off.:S
I was one mile due South of the threshold of the 12,000' Rwy 17/35.
I couldn't even hear my television when KC-135's or F-16's departed 17.
I had already signed the lease, and it was just for 4-5 months, so I put up with it.

Dad was always stationed at some SAC base or other. Back in the '70's and '80's, they'd still drop a sonic boom over the continental USA. It'd be three or four times a week you'd hear one of those over Robins AFB, and occasionally as far out as Macon. Whenever he went on alert, we'd all go down to the visitor's facility on the flight line and watch the fighters take off (And shoot straight up at the end of the runway.)

I miss that. I tried to get something on the airport side of town, but they were all either HOAs or really run down. I'd live within throwin' distance of the runway if I could. I can't get enough of that. Airplanes are better neighbors than my neighbor's barking dogs. I could legitimately complain about those -- Longmont has a "nuisance animals" ordinance. But I don't. Because I'm not a stinky little bitch.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

The FAA has provided "guidance" to communities with airports looking to develop adjacent land. This guidance has no legal basis and is only the opinion of the FAA. It is not binding and is only advisory.

This "guidance" states that it is "an inappropriate land use" to situate housing adjacent to an airport as community planners try to figure out how to to accommodate increasing populations. The FAA contention is that the adjacent home owners will complain and impose curfews and restrictions based on noise issues.

Communities with airports are now using that guidance to prohibit "through the fence" residential aviation or fly-in communities from being established.

Thankfully this has been recently revisited with fly-in communities in mind. The guidance now states that it is OK for fly-in communities to set up adjacent to an airport but that the FAA still believes that to allow the general public to develop housing there is not appropriate.

Just another example of people using their own interpretations of suggestions or guidance as rule of law to restrict the privileges of a minority.

jon

In Gander, where I grew up, our house was 1.5 miles off the end of the runway. All day every day, 500-700' traffic, 747's, C5's, DC-10's, Giant Antinov's, you name it, all day, every day.

You actually got used the the windows and dishes rattling. It was so normal, it bothered nobody. And I certainly do not remember anyone every making complaints about it.

You can decide you are OK with it, or you can decide you are not OK with it. Either way, you are right.

Heads up folks, she's getting even more determined.
She's threatening me with extortion and legal action if I don't drop a dime on you bitches. FYI, I have never emailed her.
My reply was quite simply "Given that you're threatening me with extortion and legal action, you can kiss my ass."

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your email - I'll be glad to add you to our distribution list.

However, I need to ask a favor from you. I need to know the real names of the following dropzone commenters and I believe you may have the answers.

sundevil777
stratostar
skyjumpinfool
RM1
theonlyski

We can get the information with a subpoena but that will take more time and I need them now. This is your one and only opportunity to get crossed off the list of candidates to receive a deposition subpoena for the lawsuit. In addition, I am considering legal action against you personally.

If you choose to provide their names I'll need to hear from you no later than tomorrow morning. Things are moving quickly and I don't have a lot of time to make a decision.

Thanks so much,
-Kim

HAHAHAHAHA! What a sad, lonely, and angry cunt.

I wonder if while she's lying on her death bed, reflecting back on a lifetime of failed self-righteous crusades, she'll realize that no victories come when motivated by anger and spite. Life is wasted when spent dwelling on the things you cannot change.

She has reached a level that makes me think of the decades-long saga of James "Capt Zoom" Campbell. He made a similar threats to me back in the 90's because he was trying to sue my friend Frank Hitlaw. He also caused me a bunch of grief by calling my school (Purdue) and the Purdue Police Dept, trying to file charges against me. My crime? Asking for info about him on the Usenet rec.aviation newsgroup.

Two guys who have long documented his shenanigans have their websites here:

http://www.wanttaja.com/zguide.htm

http://www.ousterhout.net/zoom.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

monkycndo

So she wants names? Give her some.

Let's see.

Mike Hunt
Phil McKeester
Hugh Janus

Those are just the ring leaders.

Also:

Gardner Barnes
Phil Hicks
Lester Griffin
Truman Sparks
and that Dorman guy whose first name I never knew.

normiss

Heads up folks, she's getting even more determined.
She's threatening me with extortion and legal action if I don't drop a dime on you bitches. FYI, I have never emailed her.
My reply was quite simply "Given that you're threatening me with extortion and legal action, you can kiss my ass."

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your email - I'll be glad to add you to our distribution list.

However, I need to ask a favor from you. I need to know the real names of the following dropzone commenters and I believe you may have the answers.

sundevil777
stratostar
skyjumpinfool
RM1
theonlyski

We can get the information with a subpoena but that will take more time and I need them now. This is your one and only opportunity to get crossed off the list of candidates to receive a deposition subpoena for the lawsuit. In addition, I am considering legal action against you personally.

If you choose to provide their names I'll need to hear from you no later than tomorrow morning. Things are moving quickly and I don't have a lot of time to make a decision.

Thanks so much,
-Kim

I made the list!! B|

Here I was thinking I would go a whole year without being threatened by a law suit.:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message