stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

http://www.dailycamera.com/...es-over-prank-i-love

Stupid move by Mile high.....

Maybe, maybe not.

It certainly exposes the "Quiet Skies" dipsticks as loudmouth whiners who complain about everything -- including getting a bumper sticker in the mail.

I think Frank ought to do a follow-on to the bumper sticker gambit and pull a Rush Limbaugh* on them:

Form a "Quiet Meetings" group dedicated to reducing noise pollution at city council meetings by whining weasels with nothing better to do with their time (and those of others at the meetings) than bitch about businesses that pre-date their residence near-to by years and decades.

B|

* Rush Limbaugh created "Rush Babes for America" to counteract the National Organization for Women, and in 48 hours far exceeded the NOW membership rolls. Regardless of your feeling towards the guy and his politics, it was a brilliant move and Frank should see similar results because I think there are far - far - more people in that community who are much more sick of whining weasel noise than they are of airplane noise.

As a 20-year veteran as on-air talent in the radio business, I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that your assessment is incorrect. Rush's success is predicated on such moves as an obviously controversial media personality. In that game controversy spurs listenership on both sides of the argument and can't put you out of business as long as there are sponsors waiting for their turn to write checks - which Rush has truckloads of.

In the case of a DZ with pissed off neighbors, stirring controversy has no positive outcome. The whiners will only see the DZ's actions as rubbing the issue in their faces, prompting a predictable reaction. Some folks in town may see that response as whiners just whining louder, but to those who matter - airport board members, city council members and city management - the whiners are citizens of the community who vote.

The primary goal of city officials is to dispose of the issue and hopefully make everyone happy - or at least not angry - in the process, which the DZ's actions are not helping them do. Even if city officials agree with the DZ in this case, they are extremely sensitive to the wishes of the voters, and the squeaky voting wheel gets the municipal grease. Also remember that many if not most of the jumpers live outside the city and don't vote in city elections. ALL the whiners are city residents that vote for city officials.

Rush is in the entertainment business where sponsors can be replaced with others salivating to buy a finite amount of commercial airtime. Mile High is in the skydiving business on a municipal airport managed by people who need to ride the political fence for their own self-preservation.

Two totally different creatures with nearly polar opposite tactics for success.

LOL... that's why I prefaced my response to "stupid move by Mile high....." by saying "Maybe, maybe not."

Can't quibble with a thing you said and after briefly pondering what you said, I still won't say the Mile-Hi move was stupid, but you make a very sound argument indeed that they should have just let lying dogs sleep.

Thanks for the insight.

B|

I guess whether or not it was a stupid move depends on the DZO's motives behind it. As a former DZO on a muni, I learned pretty quickly that the one thing board and council members hate are irate calls from constituents. I got the best results when I stood my ground when I knew I was in the right, but did so as politely as possible - at least when speaking to anyone who might repeat my words to the other side.

I can't imagine what the reaction of the city leaders was when they heard what Frank did. My guess is they thought "what the f*ck did he go and do THAT for?"
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

......what you said, I still won't say the Mile-Hi move was stupid, but you make a very sound argument indeed that they should have just let lying dogs sleep.

Thanks for the insight.

B|

"Dogs" is close, but not quite the word I would have used. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I guess whether or not it was a stupid move depends on the DZO's motives behind it.

Call me stupid and unimaginative. I can't think of a productive motive for it.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I guess whether or not it was a stupid move depends on the DZO's motives behind it.

The only one I could come up with was if he was hoping to get asked to leave the airport and could negotiate a lease contract settlement on his way out like Larry Hill did at Coolidge.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The only one I could come up with was if he was hoping to get asked to leave the airport and could negotiate a lease contract settlement on his way out like Larry Hill did at Coolidge.

Vance Brand is the closest airport to the front range cities between Boulder and Denver which is out of DIA's air space so you can get 12,500 AGL without permission from air traffic control. Moving would be a pretty dumb business move.

I can easily picture Jeff Sands sending out the bumper stickers; maybe Frank was channeling his spirit.

Vance Brand is the closest airport to the front range cities between Boulder and Denver which is out of DIA's air space so you can get 12,500 AGL without permission from air traffic control. Moving would be a pretty dumb business move.

I can easily picture Jeff Sands sending out the bumper stickers; maybe Frank was channeling his spirit.

As I understand it, Frank admitted to sending the stickers out as a joke.

I wasn't thinking about Mile High moving. I was just suggesting that if a DZO wanted to move OR close up shop (which I am NOT saying is happening) he or she could make waves in hopes of getting paid to go away through a negotiated lease termination.

All purely hypothetical, but it's a strategy I've seen in other types of contractual relationships with municipalities.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

As I understand it, Frank admitted to sending the stickers out as a joke.

And as we all do one occasion when making jokes, he didn't think it through. At least he didn't make a joke to a TSA pervert about his rig being "the bomb" or yelling "Hi Jack!' to one of his buddies on the concourse.

I think the motive to which we can chalk this up can be filed under "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

One thing he should perhaps do, though, is buy the airport manager a case of beer.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

True dat. OTOH, there are few better ways to get a group fired up, and possibly even get others to join with them, than to flaunt your power.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Don't like airplane noise?
Don't fucking move near an airport then bitch about it.

Now there's a bumper sticker I'd like to see:ph34r:

Then again, it'd probably cause more problems than it addressed....[:/]

Believe it or not, when I first heard of the "I love airplane noise" stickers, I interpreted them as sincere: i.e. "I love airplane noise because I love airplanes", as opposed to "I love airplane noise because it annoys people."
Then again, I've been accused of having Asperger's more than once.:$
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Wah.

Clearly she has forgotten to reference the six figure annual fuel bill paid by MHS. Plus the inclusion of 1000+ annual air ops in the airport activity used to determine funding from the GA trust.

And let's not forget the beer sales.

Sounds good but what does all that verbiage mean in real income dollars?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It's easier to stamp EVERY bill that passes through a DZ with the little parachute stamps.
Every person in town will touch the money at some point.
It makes a quiet statement IMO.

Unfortunately, people don't use cash as much as when this was done 30 years ago, but collecting receipts and stamping bills aren't mutually exclusive activities :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It's easier to stamp EVERY bill that passes through a DZ with the little parachute stamps.

Defacing currency also happens to be a federal offense

Not unless it's done with intent to defraud. The "where's George" stamps aren't illegal, nor is writing "I grew hemp" on GW's portrait on the One dollar bill.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Defacing currency also happens to be a federal offense

Not unless it's done with intent to defraud. The "where's George" stamps aren't illegal, nor is writing "I grew hemp" on GW's portrait on the One dollar bill.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6535889_defacing-u_s_-currency-laws.html

"Other acts, such as writing notes on a bill or causing the kind of damage that occurs naturally, are not illegal."
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Believe it or not, when I first heard of the "I love airplane noise" stickers, I interpreted them as sincere: i.e. "I love airplane noise because I love airplanes", as opposed to "I love airplane noise because it annoys people."

Your first instinct was correct - they ARE sincere.
See: http://www.google.com/search?q=i+love+airplane+noise
It's a popular phrase for pilots, emblazoned on bumper stickers, t-shirts and coffee cups.
Mile-Hi just took what was already out there, and put it to a different purpose.

Your first instinct was correct - they ARE sincere.
See: http://www.google.com/search?q=i+love+airplane+noise
It's a popular phrase for pilots, emblazoned on bumper stickers, t-shirts and coffee cups.
Mile-Hi just took what was already out there, and put it to a different purpose.

I like the C130s finishing their down-wind leg over my house when the pilots are keeping their type ratings up-to-date with three take-offs and landings in a row.

One of the sweetest sounds in the world is a D-18 with short stacks rolling down the runway early Sunday morning.:)
Sparky

Yes!
Memories...memories....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For what it's worth, not sure if it was already posted up thread. Their facebook page is back up
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Citizens-For-Quiet-Skies/213188222077598

Latest post was Sunday, bitching about a wingsuit record attempt.

ETA: Holy hell, they're bitching about hot air balloons too!!! (see attached)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message