stratostar

Longmont City Council will take up skydiving noise

I'm sorry -- I find it hard to be offended at the thought of mooning a jump plane, even given the circumstances.

Not that I ever did, of course :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm sorry -- I find it hard to be offended at the thought of mooning a jump plane, even given the circumstances.

Not that I ever did, of course :)

Wendy P.

Yep, Wendy, I think you might have to search far and wide to find a skydiver who is offended by mooning. :P

But, when you said you never ever did that, :) maybe you forgot the other mooning :):)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

At least his complaints have some varying creativity that keep them entertaining...my favorite "Skydivers jumping too far north and could land on the farm." As if he knows where the spot should be!

Well, that's a stretch.
Longmont, CO to Rockmart, GA would be one helluva X-country ride.
Bring a lunch and plenty of beer.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Actually, several years ago in the Netherlands near the airport of Zestienhoven (Rotterdam) it was found out that a group of complainers used the 'teletext' announcement of scheduled flights to file a complaint. This happened when a scheduled flight of a DC9 was cancelled in the last instant because of some technical difficulty. The complainers had learned that that particular airline used a DC9 and had also learned that a DC9 is a rather loud airplane. Therefore, they always filed an official complaint - not after actually hearing the plane fly overhead but from learning about its departure by means of 'teletext' (= text messages system on Tv-screens). Needles to say that they lost a lot of influence after being caught doing this (complaining with aircraft registration when in fact said aircraft was still on the tarmac in Zestienhoven)

So it is not only a fun idea - it might actually work. :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

The Times Call newspaer article, dated Dec 11th said the issue would b e taken up at a city meeting on Tuesday. that would have been the 13th of December. It is now the 18th Dec. Did anyone find out what happened at the city meeting? Any "result" or actions or pronouncementsat or following the meeting? Was theFAA in attendence? Short versions of who said what? Maybe I need to google Lonmont Times Call newspper to see if there was a follow up article that summarized what happened. If anything.

I watched the meeting on cable.....
A) Overall very pro business and skydiving.
B) Kim Gibs shot herself in the foot. Complaining that Mile-Hi was flying that morning when in fact we were not.
C) FAA and Airport management gave a great presentation and proved that Mile-Hi was in the best location possible. No Laws have been broken. "Hush Kits" are not possible on twin otters are not possible.
D) Within 24 hours of the meeting "Citizens for Quiet Skies" can no longer be found.

All and all a very positive result. It's quiet, maybe a little too quiet:);)

This is absolutely awesome to hear! I really hope this is the end of it for you guys!

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I highly recommend keeping an eye out around the dropzone. Most people wouldn't break the law, but this sounds like a motivated group of individuals and they may try to take it into their own hands now that they see that the city won't do anything. Not to mention the questionable sanity of this group...

Security cameras wouldn't be a bad investment at this point if they're not already there. For $500 to $1000 bucks, you can get a complete system, accessible via your smartphone and recording 24/7.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I think these idiots fall into a catagory I like to call "ATNA". (all talk, no action) I wouldn't waste one second of my time being peronoid. Except for the guy doing the mooning, none of these people have the guts to do anything more than squack!

As for Senior Pants on the Ground, I'd like to suggest a mass fly by... If you know what I mean? ;)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I know a DZ in oregon that lost a cessna due to a fire after a noise dispute with mcnasty's (That were there first). FBI did their thing just couldn't prove who did it.

On a happy note the Mcnasty's in longmont were a PIA but I don't think their stupid enough to break the law.:).

Not saying this option should be forced on anyone, but isn't 4 blade props quieter than 3? Asking purely out of curiosity.

Sometimes, four blade props compared to 3 blade generally means lower tip speed. But there is a lot that goes into noise reduction on any kind of engines.

Not saying this option should be forced on anyone, but isn't 4 blade props quieter than 3? Asking purely out of curiosity.

Not usually. At higher power settings the difference between the two is almost negligible, but at idle the four blades make a lot more noise and drag. For some aircraft the four bladed props are part of a short field landing kit.

Not usually. At higher power settings the difference between the two is almost negligible, but at idle the four blades make a lot more noise and drag. For some aircraft the four bladed props are part of a short field landing kit.

Might be true in the civilian market but the C-130A
models (First model) were well known for their 3 bladed props and extreme noise level.

We lucked out and did our time on the C-130E models one if the cchanges was 4 bladed props:)

The poor guy's on the 130A's had to wear ear plugs and head sets. Both birds were used for max effort landings and T.O..

We used to have a joke something like do you fly on 130A's ? with the response HUH like we were deaf. :D:D

Google is your friend ;) the latest C130's I think are J models maybe four bladed props that look like a fish hook.Latest and the greatest... for now .
One Jump Wonder

All that is well and good, we should be striving for less airport noise! However, this whole issue at this particular DZ was not about noise. It was simply a case of one very vocal individual creating a situation for the sole purpose of having something to feel important about.

Call this a self induced reason to bitch! And, Bitch she did.[:/]

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I recently visited Longmont from Florida, and was surprised that CO allows such irritating and disruptive airplane noise. I actually had to stop conversations several times, until the airplanes moved on. The windows in the house actually vibrated.

In a state known for its open space and beautiful vistas, the constant droning of airplanes is like an infestation of mosquitoes.

I don't want to put a damper on the skydiver's fun, but don't they have mufflers for those things? Jeez!

For every "Kim Gibbs" there are about a thousand of us who never speak up, but we are very angry about the noise the obnoxious planes are causing in our neighborhood.

Way to tell'em Kim!

Emma Withers

The airport has been there longer than most of the houses built next to it. You should blame the developers and real estate industry, as well as the idiots who bought those houses without doing the research on airport noise.

They can suck it for all I care. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban