1 1
Binary93

Pull-up cord locked my slider

One of the most ridiculous things happened to me today (even though it's completely my fault, I find it very very very improbable set of coincidences).

I jumped hop 'n' pop from 1200m and didn't bother to put on my jumpsuit and went with shorts and shirt instead. After packing the canopy, I put my pull-up cord in the pocket (no zipper or anything).
Upon jumping and deploying, the cord slipped from the pocket, went up into the canopy at some point during the snivel, passed through the slider grommet and locked the slider up.

I managed to get it down somewhere a bit above 700m. I've had my hard deck set for ~650m (the decision to cutaway).
There was a lot of thermics and the canopy seemed too unstable to be safely landable.

I've always looked at "don't jump with stuff in your pockets" as "you can drop that stuff and lose it + it could kill someone below. Never considered it could also go up. The takeway: don't jump with wih stuff in your pockets (that could slip out).

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Buy pants with zippered pockets.

I have a jumpsuit with zippers that's more appropriate for a jump.

However, I've considered this as a simple hop 'n' pop jump without a freefall and the only thing I've left in my pockets was the pull-up cord which couldn't really cause any damage if it fell out (or so I thought).

On 6/8/2020 at 10:16 PM, sundevil777 said:

Nice, I've never liked the idea of planning to throw your cutaway or ripcord for this reason. I don't doubt my ability to pull, I don't doubt the ability of objects in the air stream to foul a canopy.

Can't say I've ever planned to throw my handles, it's just what has happened on both of my cut aways. Maybe next time will be different.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, pchapman said:

That's an interesting one! 

I have heard (somewhere on dz.com years ago) of a hook knife becoming unsecured, flying up on opening, and cutting a line.

If my memory is not too fogy, this happened at Z-Hills and was caught on video, maybe 10 years ago.  

• Like 2