2 2
turtlespeed

How about some good news for a change!!

Saying "ANTIFA" is meaningless. This is not a monolithic government organization, it could be just from a posting on the local town bulletin board (e.g. Nextdoor.com) saying "protest police brutality at town hall." That's how they get passed around here (and we have a lot of demonstrations). It's kind of like saying that everyone who showed up at Charlottesville was a KKK member, or that all of the people marching in Richmond for gun rights were fascists. 

Giving a name to another group doesn't make them that.

Wendy P.

Just now, turtlespeed said:

If I say the US Army showed up in Washington DC - would you ask which specific members it was, as if it somehow mattered?

No, I would ask for independent validation of your claim.

I wouldn't post a random photo of the US Army in Afghanistan and claim that they're the ones in DC which hasn't been verified yet.

5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

But it's not a verified allegation, so you appear to be offering evidence to back up his claim.

Not at all.

This is a spur from Ryoder claiming antifa stormed a beach in Germany 76 years ago.

So Jakee asked if they were the ones in Georgia.

You jumped in from there.

1 minute ago, olofscience said:

No, I would ask for independent validation of your claim.

I wouldn't post a random photo of the US Army in Afghanistan and claim that they're the ones in DC which hasn't been verified yet.

The US Army is still going to be the US Army, no matter where they are.

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Saying "ANTIFA" is meaningless. This is not a monolithic government organization, it could be just from a posting on the local town bulletin board (e.g. Nextdoor.com) saying "protest police brutality at town hall." That's how they get passed around here (and we have a lot of demonstrations). It's kind of like saying that everyone who showed up at Charlottesville was a KKK member, or that all of the people marching in Richmond for gun rights were fascists. 

Giving a name to another group doesn't make them that.

Wendy P.

But somehow the ones that stormed the beaches of Germany  . . . 

(edited)
Just now, turtlespeed said:

This is a spur from Ryoder claiming antifa stormed a beach in Germany 76 years ago.

Ryoder's post was a joke.

I guess I just didn't find yours funny, as false evidence in these times can get people seriously hurt or killed.

It's like as if I posted a photo of ISIS fighters and said they were a photo of the muslim family next door. I could say it's a joke, but not very funny if they were innocent and then got turned into a smoking crater.

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Wow that joke really got to you, huh?

Germany was fascist at the time, so people against them were...?

I got it - but the intent was to lessen the  . . .  nevermind . . . its just not worth it.

The thing is - y'all picked up the ball and ran a whole different direction and ended up on another field in a different sport - and now that is somehow my fault. That is the <facepalm>

Edited by turtlespeed

10 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The US Army is still going to be the US Army, no matter where they are.

But the US Army is a single unified organization with a clear hierarchy and chain of command.

"Antifa" is no such thing - it isn't even an organization as such, as opposed to an idea.

Just now, kallend said:

But the US Army is a single unified organization with a clear hierarchy and chain of command.

"Antifa" is no such thing - it isn't even an organization as such, as opposed to an idea.

Although that may be good news - its not good news for everyone - I'm still trying to keep this a good news thread.

Here is some more good news:

TRASH MAN BUILDS FREE LIBRARY OUT OF 20,000 BOOKS FOUND IN BINS

Emily Coxhead | 23rd March 2018

skip-1-300x200.jpg
20 years ago a trash collection man, Jose Alberto Gutierrez of Bogota, Colombia, found a copy of Leo Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina in with the rubbish in one of the wealthier areas of Bogota, so he decided to rescue the book from the trash.

Jose has since collected over 20,000 books that now make up his own free library in his home in the poorer area of South Bogota – which he opens to community children at weekends. Aptly named “Strength of Words” the library provides local children with a host of reading resources and Jose hopes to inspire young minds.

Categories: Uncategorised | Comments

One thing that's not really news, but when the lockdown started, was the stunning effect of the lockdown on local air quality:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/himalayas-visible-lockdown-india-scli-intl/index.html

The Himalayas became visible from northern India for the first time in about 30 years.

Similar reports from cities such as Sao Paulo, Manila.

Unfortunately air quality in China is getting back to pre-lockdown levels.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

Can you see where the people ron is talking about called themselves antifa?

Oh fer cryin' out loud. Ron thinks anyone to the left of Attila the Hun who dares to open his mouth is "Antifa funded by George Soros". Hell, back a few years ago he contacted the authorities to warn them that TK Hayes was working to undermine the good old USA and was a foreign Canadian agitator. Ron's rantings are so far from reality that they make Turtle Shell look reasonable. (Sorry Jakee, you are just the post I chose to rant on)

Edited by gowlerk

50 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

<eyeroll> It is easily determined that the group he referenced is the same one pictured.

So determine it. How do you know the people who protested in his town in Georgia were part f that group?

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Oh fer cryin' out loud. Ron thinks anyone to the left of Attila the Hun who dares to open his mouth is "Antifa funded by George Soros". Hell, back a few years ago he contacted the authorities to warn them that TK Hayes was working to undermine the good old USA and was a foreign Canadian agitator.

"Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States."

-- Canadian Bacon(1995)

3 minutes ago, jakee said:

So determine it. How do you know the people who protested in his town in Georgia were part f that group?

Well, if you can't figure it out on your own, I suppose I can help.

1) They call themselves antifa - 

2) Ron used the name "Antifa"

There ya go.  

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Well, if you can't figure it out on your own, I suppose I can help.

There ya go.  

Sometimes a joke is lost because of the source ya know. Maybe you need a smilie in there...

Wendy P. 

5 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

How do you know the people in Georgia are calling themselves antifa?

Ron's neighbour's brother's dog's girlfriend's owner told him that 'antifa was moving north' and now there's a protest in his town which he hasn't been to see which he says is antifa.

How do you know it's antifa?

(edited)
6 minutes ago, jakee said:

How do you know the people in Georgia are calling themselves antifa?

Ron's neighbour's brother's dog's girlfriend's owner told him that 'antifa was moving north' and now there's a protest in his town which he hasn't been to see which he says is antifa.

How do you know it's antifa?

You are assuming there is a real group that made it to Georgia.  WHY???

AGAIN - my response that y'all picked up the ball and ran with to some other field with the football bat, was originally in reply to Ryoder and his comment (Sans Smiley) joke about antifa storming a beach.

OR - 

You guys just hate life so much you can't stand good news.

Edited by turtlespeed