2 2
turtlespeed

How about some good news for a change!!

38 minutes ago, normiss said:

Given the amount of US reserves, and the reduction in demand. and we're still at reduced number of rigs, yeah...

That is why I said Kuwait and Iraq and not Saudi Arabia.  Good new regardless. Now that WTI is back above $40, they can cover their costs and stay in business.  Ironically, the COVID-19 imposed stress test will shake out weak players and help the industry in the long run giving us many decades of cheap reliable oil and gas.  Again a good news story.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Good news: USA today can help correct some errors. (If Trump said them they would be called "Outright Lies!!!" - (said with as much hate and vitriol as possible))

Intent is the key.  Trump is a proven pathological liar and cheat in addition to being cognitively impaired.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

... Ironically, the COVID-19 imposed stress test will shake out weak players and help the industry in the long run giving us many decades of cheap reliable oil and gas.  Again a good news story.

So the federal government picking up the costs to cleanup old wells and storage areas of bankrupt oil companies is good news. So the widows and orphans who loose life savings on the equity and bond losses is good news. So the payouts to the CEO's who wrote big bonuses into their severance parachutes is good news. Got it.

Some more good news:

========================

Capital Dynamics, the Swiss asset manager that is now a heavyweight solar investor, will partner with energy developer Tenaska on a 4.8-gigawatt solar portfolio in the Midwest and the Southeast, the companies announced Wednesday.

The two will work together on developing 24 solar projects expected to come online by 2023, building on a 2018 partnership to cooperatively develop another 14 projects in six Midwestern states.

========================

That's the equivalent of a big coal plant in terms of energy output.  More coal shutdowns coming.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/capital-dynamics-and-tenaska-partner-on-4.8-gigawatts-of-solar-development

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

Some more good news:...

That's the equivalent of a big coal plant in terms of energy output.  More coal shutdowns coming....
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/capital-dynamics-and-tenaska-partner-on-4.8-gigawatts-of-solar-development

U.S. coal production during the first quarter of 2020 totaled 149.1 million short tons (MMst), which was 9.8% lower than the previous quarter and 17% lower than the first quarter of 2019.

So four years till zero US coal production. Or with a Biden victory two quarters. Sorry Brent.^_^

(edited)
47 minutes ago, billvon said:

Some more good news:

Bill, I for one am very excited about the future of EV. In my town; there are currently 157 EV Charging stations  they keep popping up like spring wildflowers. I try to stay up on it. Last October, Google added an EV charger search function

EDIT: Now if Harley would make an EV Road Glide - my world would be complete :)

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Bill, I for one am very excited about the future of EV. In my town; there are currently 157 EV Charging stations  they keep popping up like spring wildflowers. I try to stay up on it. Last October, Google added an EV charger search function

Would you have to drive it and yell Potato Potato Potato at stop lights?:halo:

(edited)
3 hours ago, billvon said:

Some more good news:

========================

Capital Dynamics, the Swiss asset manager that is now a heavyweight solar investor, will partner with energy developer Tenaska on a 4.8-gigawatt solar portfolio in the Midwest and the Southeast, the companies announced Wednesday.

The two will work together on developing 24 solar projects expected to come online by 2023, building on a 2018 partnership to cooperatively develop another 14 projects in six Midwestern states.

========================

That's the equivalent of a big coal plant in terms of energy output.  More coal shutdowns coming.

Never going to make it to carbon neutral at that rate, especially since natural gas is growing at a much faster rate, sorry.

image.jpeg.bdf7592e7514b2140ab7fe9cd0ae372a.jpeg

Edited by brenthutch

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

U.S. coal production during the first quarter of 2020 totaled 149.1 million short tons (MMst), which was 9.8% lower than the previous quarter and 17% lower than the first quarter of 2019.

So four years till zero US coal production. Or with a Biden victory two quarters. Sorry Brent.^_^

Except for something I like to call, the rest of the world 

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=66&t=2

that said, domestic coal usage is just being replaced by a cheaper fossil fuel, natural gas (not solar, much to the chagrin of BillV)

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Same here! A nice fat electric bagger with a days range and a truck big enough to haul the toy hauler fifth wheel.

Just the lack of oil changes on a diesel would save me a lot of money every year! 15 quarts of synthetic diesel oil is pricey.

• Like 1

(edited)
20 minutes ago, normiss said:

Same here! A nice fat electric bagger with a days range and a truck big enough to haul the toy hauler fifth wheel.

Just the lack of oil changes on a diesel would save me a lot of money every year! 15 quarts of synthetic diesel oil is pricey.

That will be the tipping point.  When I can load up the kids, wife, dog, luggage, snowboards and skis for a trip up north for less money than our current GL450, I will be first in line.  Until then EVs will remain a curiosity, given the consumers’ preference for large SUVs.

Edited by brenthutch

9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That will be the tipping point.  When I can load up the kids, wife, dog, luggage, snowboards and skis for a trip up north for less money than our current GL450, I will be first in line.  Until then EVs will remain a curiosity, given the consumers’ preference for large SUVs.

Bull Shit.

37 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

No.:rofl:

That you would be first in line.

Fair enough, maybe second or third.  Once they have the range, carrying and towing capacity of current SUVs and a price point that is equal to or less than their IC counterparts, everyone will buy them

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That makes as much sense as saying "When I can load up the kids, wife, dog, luggage, snowboards and skis for a trip up north for less money than a Ford Transit van, I will be first in line.  Until then, Mercedes Benz SUV's will remain a curiosity, a toy for the clueless rich."

2 hours ago, billvon said:

That makes as much sense as saying "When I can load up the kids, wife, dog, luggage, snowboards and skis for a trip up north for less money than a Ford Transit van, I will be first in line.  Until then, Mercedes Benz SUV's will remain a curiosity, a toy for the clueless rich."

No it’s more like; when an EV can do what my SUV can do at the same price point they will become a viable alternative.  (BTW not a single EV in the top 25, not one)

16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No it’s more like; when an EV can do what my SUV can do at the same price point they will become a viable alternative.  (BTW not a single EV in the top 25, not one)

Right now, sure. But why do you argue that it will stay like that? Progress happens all the time, yet you keep arguing that today will be the same as tomorrow, tomorrow will be the same as the next day, this year will be the same as next year and this decade will be the same as next decade. 

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

From what you're saying you'll probably buy an EV of that weight/class before many people.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

From what you're saying you'll probably buy an EV of that weight/class before many people.

Well, except I can see him saying something like - you can't charge it as fast as I can fill up.

That would negate the "do what my SUV can do" part.  There is only a sliding scale when it's a benefit to one side of the argument.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Right now, sure. But why do you argue that it will stay like that? Progress happens all the time, yet you keep arguing that today will be the same as tomorrow, tomorrow will be the same as the next day, this year will be the same as next year and this decade will be the same as next decade. 

I’m not denying progress, at the rate we are going almost everyone will have an EV in fifty years, I just don’t think we need to subsidize them.

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I’m not denying progress, at the rate we are going almost everyone will have an EV in fifty years, I just don’t think we need to subsidize them.

You always tout how great FF's are - cheap, abundant, plenty of established infrastructure - and that Renewables just can't compete and shouldn't be given a leg up.

Yet FF's have been subsidised heavily for most of the last century, hell to this day the industry is still propped up by your tax dollars.

If you were being consistent, you'd be calling for an end to FF subsidies and a boost to renewable investment to the same level and length of time.

(edited)
52 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

You always tout how great FF's are - cheap, abundant, plenty of established infrastructure - and that Renewables just can't compete and shouldn't be given a leg up.

Yet FF's have been subsidised heavily for most of the last century, hell to this day the industry is still propped up by your tax dollars.

If you were being consistent, you'd be calling for an end to FF subsidies and a boost to renewable investment to the same level and length of time.

I am against subsidies of all kinds, pass the true cost onto the end consumer and let the free market decide.  Same with government spending, if you want a program? Pay for it.  If you want a tax cut?  Forego the government program.  It drives me crazy when the Ds want more spending and the Rs want to cut taxes, and after some hard knuckles bargaining, they decide to raise spending AND cut taxes.

Edited by brenthutch