2 2
turtlespeed

How about some good news for a change!!

10 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

It's a simple solution really. Name all the bases and put up statues in honor of those 3,520 Medal of Honor recipients. Of those, 90 of the MoH's went to 89 African-Americans (Sweeney was awarded twice). Who's gonna take exception to an MoH recipient.    

Hi Keith,

One of best ideas that I have heard of.

Good on you,

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

US Representatives.' You only have one; it is the senators that you have two of.

We have seven. Five in the house and two in the Senate. Referring to all of them as US Representatives. All seven got the email. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

We have seven. Five in the house and two in the Senate. Referring to all of them as US Representatives. All seven got the email. 

Hi Keith,

Good for you on sending it to all of them.

YOU only have one Representative; as you live in her/his district.  THAT is what I was referring to.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Yea, I know; sort of nit-picking.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

On 6/12/2020 at 4:16 PM, timski said:

lucky to have a JOB! Essential AF. Check your feelings at the door and get your big boy pants issued. Keep dwelling in the past...

The same could be said about the people wanting to keep the names.  Put on your big boy pants and get over the name changing.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:02 AM, turtlespeed said:

Good news - Executive order was just signed limiting police actions.

No - its not ideal.  It is a start though, and that is good news. 

A pre-election photo-op to pander to his base.

"The Brennan Center, a think tank and advocacy group that has pushed for criminal justice reform, dismissed the executive order as making “only cosmetic changes when the nation is ready for law enforcement’s racism to be pulled out by its roots," noting that it “says nothing“ about racial disparities in policing. While the group called the order‘s reforms a slate of “welcome changes,” it said that legislation in the House was more comprehensive and would be more effective."

There are 18,000 police departments in the US each with different training programs.

During the Obama government there was 25 investigations opened up on LE departments and under trump one.The Collaborative Reform Initiative in its Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) has widespread support by police chiefs in the US. Under trump it was ended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

There are 18,000 police departments in the US each with different training programs.

And 18,000 different sets of policies for interacting with the public.

A couple years ago I either read (or heard) of an idea being promoted to have the states absorb all county and city PD's into the state PD. Advantages:

1. Consistent training for all LEO's in the state.

2. Consistent policing policies across the state.

3. Economies of scale in procuring uniforms/equipment/vehicles.

4. Removal of law enforcement from county/city budgets, AND removal of the incentive for tiny towns along major highways to become speed traps to operate their town on ticket revenue (aka "Random Motorist Tax").

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ryoder said:

A couple years ago I either read (or heard) of an idea being promoted to have the states absorb all county and city PD's into the state PD. Advantages:

4. Removal of law enforcement from county/city budgets, AND removal of the incentive for tiny towns along major highways to become speed traps to operate their town on ticket revenue (aka "Random Motorist Tax").

Sounds like a small-government conservative's dream - I'm sure it has strong GOP support, right?

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Hi Robert,

WOW, you and I think alike; scary.

About 10-12 yrs ago, I tried this with one of my county commissioners and got exactly nowhere.  None of the small city mayors in this county ( somewhere around 25 cities ) wanted anything to do with giving up 'their' police dep'ts.

I am still all for it.

Jerry Baumchen

35 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

WOW, you and I think alike; scary.

About 10-12 yrs ago, I tried this with one of my county commissioners and got exactly nowhere.  None of the small city mayors in this county ( somewhere around 25 cities ) wanted anything to do with giving up 'their' police dep'ts.

I am still all for it.

Jerry Baumchen

I just wish I could remember who/where I heard it. My best guess is it may have been an interview on NPR. I tried doing a bunch of searching the other day, but couldn't find a source.

CO Gov Polis just signed the police reform bill which includes and end to qualified immunity, and mandatory body cameras:

https://www.cpr.org/2020/06/19/polis-signs-broad-police-accountability-and-reform-bill-into-law/

Also:

The new law gets rid of the state’s “fleeing felon” statute -- which made it legal for police to shoot someone running away if they were suspected of a felony and were known to have a weapon.

19 hours ago, ryoder said:

I like it.

17 hours ago, ryoder said:

I just wish I could remember who/where I heard it. My best guess is it may have been an interview on NPR. I tried doing a bunch of searching the other day, but couldn't find a source.

Hi Robert,

And a follow-on to our posts.  In Oregon, the Police Academy is ran by the State Police.  All LEO's in Oregon must successfully pass the Academy training to get their certification.

I'm not real sure, but I think it is the State Police who then can revoke the certification.  This certification is req'd in Oregon to be an LEO.

The standards for hiring are not state-wide; they vary by the LE agency's req'ments.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  For many years, a high school classmate was an instructor at the Police Academy.

(edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, BIGUN said:

Name all the bases and put up statues in honor of those 3,520 Medal of Honor recipients.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/18/what-rename-army-bases-that-honor-confederate-soldiers/

Colonel Ty Seidule is Professor and Head of the Department of History at the United States Military Academy, West Point, NY. He has served in the U.S. Army in the United States, Germany, Italy, the Balkans, Saudi Arabia and Iraq.

Edited by BIGUN

Naturally I couldn't stomach listening  to trump's Oklahoma speech live. The tossed salad language inter spaced with long pauses, lies, dog whistles, etc. eventually gets around to a message. That message is the status quo of white conservatism, law and order. The big blue line of law and order.

Probably a good signal for his non-chance of re-election. As learning new tricks or formulating a compromising middle ground. On race, a covid response, trade, international relations and trying to grab some of the middle political ground. Are concepts that can't penetrate a trump mind.

Between his message, the shrinking demographics of the old white base, covid, poor planning and race politics. The support in a state that previously worshiped his barefaced lies, was dismal.

Best line of last night. trump "the more you test the more cases you get so I told my people, slow the testing down". What did he say about himself previously " a very stable genius".

One hundred and forty nine days till he gets his eviction notice.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Best line of last night. trump "the more you test the more cases you get so I told my people, slow the testing down".

It's one thing for a despot to quietly try to suppress the truth to his advantage. But quite another thing to be so deranged as to say it out loud in public.