2 2
turtlespeed

How about some good news for a change!!

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Oh come on. No, it's stupid and childish. Don't name anything after him, that'd be fine. But the best memory of something awful is none at all.

Wendy P.

Well, there might be a Trump Library.  I say might because I doubt Trump would have any desire for something in which he sees no value so I'd be surprised they build one.  What would go in it?

It'd certainly sell copies of The Art of the Deal

probably autographed for an additional $1000

Ivanka's stuff

picture books of Mar A Lago

MAGA hats

Maybe some paper dolls, and biographies of Vladimir Putin, Boris Johnson, and Kim Jong-Il

You know -- all the important stuff. It'll be built at Trump Tower, and have the highest admission fee of any presidential library 

He might even include autographed copies of the Bible -- the only question, is will he sign them Trump, or God? (running and ducking)

Wendy P.

14 minutes ago, DJL said:

Well, there might be a Trump Library.  I say might because I doubt Trump would have any desire for something in which he sees no value so I'd be surprised they build one.  What would go in it?

Its a free building with his name on it . . . He wants it!

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

NASCAR driver Ray Ciccarelli says he's leaving at season's end over Confederate flag ban

“Well its been a fun ride and dream come true but if this is the direction Nascar is headed we will not participate after 2020 season is over, I don't believe in kneeling during Anthem nor taken [people] right to fly what ever flag they love." 

“I could care less about the Confederate Flag but there are ppl that do and it doesn't make them a racist all you are doing is f---ing one group to cater to another and I ain't spend the money we are to participate in any political BS!! So everything is for SALE!!”

Lol what?

So he believes Nascar shouldn't allow people to protest racism by kneeling during the anthem of the Union, and also believes Nascar should allow people to fly the racist rebel flag of the Confederacy... but I bet he's not a racist at all. No sirree.

ALSO, The military will do it's best to erase history because of feelings. Forts across the country are named after generals who fought for the losing side... 

My I suggest we re-name them after native american chiefs, you know, for reasons...   

13 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

It'd certainly sell copies of The Art of the Deal

probably autographed for an additional $1000

Ivanka's stuff

picture books of Mar A Lago

MAGA hats

Maybe some paper dolls, and biographies of Vladimir Putin, Boris Johnson, and Kim Jong-Il

You know -- all the important stuff. It'll be built at Trump Tower, and have the highest admission fee of any presidential library 

He might even include autographed copies of the Bible -- the only question, is will he sign them Trump, or God? (running and ducking)

Wendy P.

Can you have all that stuff in a prison library?

4 minutes ago, timski said:

ALSO, The military will do it's best to erase history because of feelings. Forts across the country are named after generals who fought for the losing side... 

My I suggest we re-name them after native american chiefs, you know, for reasons...   

Do those feelings not matter? Is it because they're not feelings you share?

for 150 years the memory of slavery has been enshrined -- not documented, but enshrined by honoring the people who fought to preserve it -- on southern lawns and schools. We don't have as many memorials to Benedict Arnold, who also played for both sides.

Wendy P.

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

NASCAR driver Ray Ciccarelli says he's leaving at season's end over Confederate flag ban

“Well its been a fun ride and dream come true but if this is the direction Nascar is headed we will not participate after 2020 season is over, I don't believe in kneeling during Anthem nor taken [people] right to fly what ever flag they love." 

“I could care less about the Confederate Flag but there are ppl that do and it doesn't make them a racist all you are doing is f---ing one group to cater to another and I ain't spend the money we are to participate in any political BS!! So everything is for SALE!!”

Hi Phil,

Which begs the question:  Just how far did this guy go in school?

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, timski said:

No-one will forget that the cvil war happened because bases arent named after Confederate commanders anymore. As mentioned with the statues previously, it's the most asinine argument. Remembering isn't the same as celebrating. To use the most obvious example, no-one would accuse the Germans of trying to erase their history simply because they don't have an army base called the Adolf Hitler Kasern or an airfield called the Hermann Goering Fliegerhorst. In fact if they did have those things just about everyone in the world who doesn't have a swastika or SS insignia tattooed somewhere on their body would think it grossly offensive and inappropriate.

5 hours ago, jakee said:

Lol what?

So he believes Nascar shouldn't allow people to protest racism by kneeling during the anthem of the Union, and also believes Nascar should allow people to fly the racist rebel flag of the Confederacy... but I bet he's not a racist at all. No sirree.

A NASCAR fan reminded me that the Confederate flag is still waved prior to the last lap.

nascar.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kallend said:

A NASCAR fan reminded me that the Confederate flag is still waved prior to the last lap.

nascar.jpg

The rednecks that are saying they are through with NASCAR are hilarious. That's like saying they will boycott Walmart or stop sleeping with their cousin.

41 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

There is one named after Rommel, though. But I believe it’s to honor the great commander he was, not the Nazism he supported (at least in the beginning). 

That is also problematic for me. First, in the context of being a military commander for the Third Reich, being apolitical is being political, in that his actions furthered the aims of the genocidal maniacs in power. Second, the popular image of him being solely a brilliant military commander is parly rooted in Nazi propaganda that he willingly participated in, and third the idea that he was redeemed by involvement in the July assasination attempt is also questionable. The best that can be said for sure is that he had some tangential knowledge of a plot against Hitler's leadership and didn't report it. 

51 minutes ago, jakee said:

That is also problematic for me. First, in the context of being a military commander for the Third Reich, being apolitical is being political, in that his actions furthered the aims of the genocidal maniacs in power. Second, the popular image of him being solely a brilliant military commander is parly rooted in Nazi propaganda that he willingly participated in, and third the idea that he was redeemed by involvement in the July assasination attempt is also questionable. The best that can be said for sure is that he had some tangential knowledge of a plot against Hitler's leadership and didn't report it. 

I agree. But there is one to him, he apparently really was good at the military thing, and he was also apparently seen as being a fair warrior (whatever that means when your job is to kill as many of your opponents as possible until they quit).

He seems to have been more of an opportunist than an ideologue; in a way, I'd have to say it's similar in some ways to Robert E. Lee. No one had anything bad to say about his sense of honor -- it was just his decision to go with his tribe that was problematic (to say the least)

Wendy P.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:35 AM, RonD1120 said:

I would say we are American Patriots, Southerners, and Rebels at heart. Oh, and some branch of Christian.

On 6/7/2020 at 5:45 PM, RonD1120 said:

Down here American Patriot and Rebel are synonymous. You do not understand our culture.

Good deal. Thank you. Hopefully anyone now, who isn't terminally lonely, bored or is a moderator who lives in fear of a single poster on SC being cast away, can see how utterly stultifying it is to entertain Ron.

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Good deal. Thank you. Hopefully anyone now, who isn't terminally lonely, bored or is a moderator who lives in fear of a single poster on SC being cast away, can see how utterly stultifying it is to entertain Ron.

Why are we still doing posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic and everything to do with certain posters?

Why?

15 hours ago, jakee said:

No-one will forget that the cvil war happened because bases arent named after Confederate commanders anymore. As mentioned with the statues previously, it's the most asinine argument. Remembering isn't the same as celebrating. To use the most obvious example, no-one would accuse the Germans of trying to erase their history simply because they don't have an army base called the Adolf Hitler Kasern or an airfield called the Hermann Goering Fliegerhorst. In fact if they did have those things just about everyone in the world who doesn't have a swastika or SS insignia tattooed somewhere on their body would think it grossly offensive and inappropriate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braxton_Bragg 

You missed what I said. Current bases will be re-named. Check your facts buddy. Bragg isn't the only one... 

2 minutes ago, timski said:

You missed what I said. Current bases will be re-named. Check your facts buddy. Bragg isn't the only one... 

They could say it's for Lawrence Bragg. the inventor of X-Ray crystallography and youngest ever winner of a science Nobel.  Pretty much all modern munitions and armor use materials characterized by X-Ray crystallography.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And yet you reply to him.

6 hours ago, timski said:

You are confused. I was responding directly to that point. I'll restate it for you - renaming the bases is not in any way 'erasing' history. It is simply not honouring parts of history that shoud not be honoured. Conflating the two is an asinine argument. Clear enough this time buddy?