bch7773

Unstowed brakes do what to the opening?

Maddingo

The worst thing I heard from a packer is: "I pack my parachute way slower and neater than the ones I pack for jumpers".

Point being, find a packer you can work with and talk to them, observe them how they pack. Don't be that asshole who expects things, then gets all worked up because the packjob did not happen the way he imagined it in his head. They are still people and not some fabric slaves.

When you are a student you are much more reliant on people such as packers to ensure your safety. You don't even know some.of the basics yet let alone what or how packing works, therefore it is important that people who are hired to pack make sure they are careful.

It's not about being an assholes and being demanding, especially when you are just learning the ropes..it's about having an expectation that chutes are packed properly and neatly to lesson the chance of issues.

At my home DZ the packers won't touch a rig where the brakes aren't set already, pilot chute decocked and slider prepared.
Even during team training with tripples and quadruples there is plenty of time to take care of this and it teaches the jumpers to set the brakes right after landing, picking the shit up correctly ect. A practice that has worked well and stopped a whole lot of idiots complaining about brake fires and other stuff.
Most packers aren't house elfes like Dobby, tread them with respect and they may return the favor with soft snivels.

If you leave your rig twisted and unprepared, brakes dangling and knotted, don't expect good service in return.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Thanks for this thread.

We've always packed for ourselves. My wife subbed for local LO yesterday and requested help from DZ packer to keep her on schedule. Had I not come across this info on Friday, we wouldn't have known to ask if the packer preferred to receive the rig with the brakes stowed. Sure enough, she said yes, and appreciated the courtesy of the question. (My wife gave her a 100% tip for fitting her in on a busy day.)