1 1
CygnusX-1

I'm so confused - Taxes

So just today I received my refund for my 2019 federal income tax. Submitted my return (e-file with direct deposit) in mid March. All I got back was what was listed on my return. Where are the late fees and penalties for taking so long?  Also there was no mention on how I'm supposed to give this money to Elon Musk or Tesla. It is almost like the money is mine to keep. That just can't be right according to what I've read from some people.

Someone please help me out. What am I supposed to do with this money? If I don't have to give it to Tesla, I guess I'll have to use it to boost the economy and buy solar panels, new table saw, or some other items I would like to own.

Don't feel bad. Last year I got a refund from my 2015 taxes. No, that is not a typo. In 2016  the IRS screwed up my 2015 refund, and I refiled it with an explanation of their mistake. It took from 2016 until 2019 for them to process it. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, CygnusX-1 said:

So just today I received my refund for my 2019 federal income tax. Submitted my return (e-file with direct deposit) in mid March. All I got back was what was listed on my return. Where are the late fees and penalties for taking so long?  Also there was no mention on how I'm supposed to give this money to Elon Musk or Tesla. It is almost like the money is mine to keep. That just can't be right according to what I've read from some people.

Someone please help me out. What am I supposed to do with this money? If I don't have to give it to Tesla, I guess I'll have to use it to boost the economy and buy solar panels, new table saw, or some other items I would like to own.

I'll help you out.

You can send the money to me through Western Union. I'll invest it in the name of this prince from an unspecified region of Central Europe who has been exiled for ambiguous reasons and thereby has fallen upon hard times.

In gratitude for your financial backing when he needs it the most, the prince has agreed to make you his heir apparant. Though the capital will be returned to you upon his death by an unclear method and without any significant interest, you will stand to inherit his title and any other posessions he has at the time.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:59 AM, Baksteen said:

you will stand to inherit his title and any other posessions he has at the time

Meh, I don't need any more titles. I already have the title of "Lord of the Known Universe". Now if he instead would have given me 1/2 million dollars immediately because he just needed to pay rent on his safe deposit box in order to get the contents, I would have been all in.

BTW The IRS is supposed to pay interest on refunds if they take more than 45 days from the time they receive the return. In my case (3 years) that was substantial. I calculated they were using a rate of 5%.

3 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Meh, I don't need any more titles. I already have the title of "Lord of the Known Universe". Now if he instead would have given me 1/2 million dollars immediately because he just needed to pay rent on his safe deposit box in order to get the contents, I would have been all in.

Then you'll be subservient to me: