3 3
kallend

TRUMP MUST GO

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

What I - AM - doing is showing that the posters here relying on the ATOS software to grab a nice satisfying gotcha moment, didn't succeed quite as thoroughly as they might have though. 

Did I miss something? Hemingway's level is 7.1, i.e. 7th Grade. Trump's level is 5th-6th (5.3 as posted by Ryoder). You haven't posted the instance you found where Trump's score was better than Hemingway's.

Also, a lot of science deals with statistics and probability, not absolutes, so as you might have already recognised you're doing what a certain poster is doing with regards to climate change.

I don't use science to get gotcha moments, I use it to educate myself and others. Being a computer tool, the ATOS tool can, in the correct setting, give us data more free of bias and partisanship than any human source. As a self-declared centrist I would have thought you were supportive of that. But are you really a centrist?

Where Turtle at least used to live, he is a centrist. Where I live, he wouldn’t be. Where I live, I’m a centrist, but I wasn’t in the Houston suburbs. 
Heck, some people are proud of living on a one-way street
Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

RIght.

He also seems to think Hemingway wrote "The Call of the Wild".

No, I don't think he does. I had to read it twice because it wasn't very clear. I think he meant he's currently consuming material from famous authors, like Jack London or Ernest Hemingway.

Maybe English isn't his first language?

6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I get it - I found an instance where the numbers don't reflect the answers you want them to.  They sort of make the trump speech have better marks than Hemingway. 

The number ARE reflecting the poster's premise that Trump's interview has a far simpler vocabulary/sentence structure/grammar than most people.  Including Hemingway.  For god's sake, stop digging the hole you've gotten yourself into.  Move on.

Corona virus - We have found a way to make the virus detectable - Except in THIS scenario - it looks like the numbers actually show the opposite - we are just going to move on from this though.  It doesn't show what we want.

No idea what you are talking about.  Coronavirus is detectable.

Want to try stating what you are talking about directly, instead of trying to twist it into a political hatchet job?

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I am. You are right. I don't like bullies, so I bully them. It's how you get bullies to back off. They're not use to it and it rocks their world. And you asked for an apology of which I have no intention of giving for bullying a bully. But, I do thank you for that wonderful Internet diagnosis.

Dude, this conversation is only happening because you diagnosed him, on the basis of misunderstanding one post.

But, you know - every time someone uses the phrase "Passive-Aggressive" I wonder why they hate women.

Next level! For someone who supposedly doesn't know what passive-aggressive means you are very good at it.

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Dude, this conversation is only happening because you diagnosed him, on the basis of misunderstanding one post.

Next level! For someone who supposedly doesn't know what passive-aggressive means you are very good at it.

. . . yet no where even near Jakee level.

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

No, I don't think he does. I had to read it twice because it wasn't very clear. I think he meant he's currently consuming material from famous authors, like Jack London or Ernest Hemingway.

Maybe English isn't his first language?

No. He said Hemingway came to mind because he was reading "Call of the Wild".

On 6/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, turtlespeed said:

...I also wanted to compare to an acclaimed author - Hemingway was the first to come to mind - Probably because I am reading the "Call of the Wild" that was just made into a movie - which I also saw.

And on a different note:

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I am. You are right. I don't like bullies, so I bully them. It's how you get bullies to back off. They're not use to it and it rocks their world. And you asked for an apology of which I have no intention of giving for bullying a bully. But, I do thank you for that wonderful Internet diagnosis. But, you know - every time someone uses the phrase "Passive-Aggressive" I wonder why they hate women.

You claim you don't like bullies, yet you support Trump.

How can you support someone who mocks the disabled, tells a crowd to 'rough him up, I'll pay for your lawyer', who uses insulting, juvenile names for those he dislikes, who insults, attacks & denigrates anyone who disagrees with him?

And who calls Nazis & KKK "very fine people".

You claimed a couple weeks ago that the comment was taken out of context. I asked you to please give the context where it is anything other than utterly disgusting.

Still waiting.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

What I - AM - doing is showing that the posters here relying on the ATOS software to grab a nice satisfying gotcha moment, didn't succeed quite as thoroughly as they might have though. ;)

I don't think anyone is relying on it. Anyone reading or listening to Trump can make the judgement that he sounds like a child, just as you made the judgement that Will sounded like a child. The ATOS is more of a secondary confirmation of that. Trump sound like a child, and when you run him through the software the complexity of his speech is indeed childlike. You said Will sounded like a child just because he used a couple of phrases you didn't like, and the people who actually read the article disagree. ATOS is like a tiebreaker there, and the measured complexity of his speech is not childlike, it's a lot more sophisticated despite those phrases. 

Hemingway I severely doubt would be judged as a childish writer by almost anyone. You already know that he's deliberately conveying complex feelings with simple sentences so it doesn't really matter what the score says. And if you then wanted to test by reading some similarly scored Trump and Hemingway excerpts to a human audience who hasn't been told who they're listening to the judgement is only going to land one way.

24 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

No. He said Hemingway came to mind because he was reading "Call of the Wild".

Well, the subject-predicate structure of his sentence was jumbled, and taken at face value you are correct. If some words are inserted (and I am being very hypothetical here), then the sentence could be fixed. Anyways, only Turtle can confirm or deny this.

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Corona virus - We have found a way to make the virus detectable - Except in THIS scenario - it looks like the numbers actually show the opposite - we are just going to move on from this though.  It doesn't show what we want.

Actually I concur with Billvon, I have NO idea what this statement means. Could you clarify?

"In a president, character is everything. A president doesn't have to be brilliant; Harry Truman wasn't brilliant, and he helped save Western Europe from Stalin. He doesn't have to be clever; you can hire clever. White Houses are always full of quick-witted people with ready advice on how to flip a senator or implement a strategy. You can hire pragmatic, and you can buy and bring in policy wonks.

"But you can't buy courage and decency, you can't rent a strong moral sense. A president must bring those things with him. If he does, they will give meaning and animation to the great practical requirement of the presidency."

Peggy Noonan, speechwriter for Ronald Reagan.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I am. You are right. I don't like bullies, so I bully them. It's how you get bullies to back off. They're not use to it and it rocks their world. And you asked for an apology of which I have no intention of giving for bullying a bully. But, I do thank you for that wonderful Internet diagnosis. But, you know - every time someone uses the phrase "Passive-Aggressive" I wonder why they hate women.

I mean, your definition of bullying is pretty weak here.  I didn't even make any attack on him whatsoever.  I simply took joy in watching everyone else take the wind out of his sail.  I didn't respond to him in any way whatsoever.  Lest you think you've bullied a bully into backing down, you've made a critical error in judgement: I'm not a bully, and I didn't do what you're asserting I did. 

Also, fuck all the way the fuck off with the cop/black man reference.  I'm not a fucking racist, and your analogy has racial undertones to it, and I take that as a personal attack.  Who's the bully, Bigun?  Look in the mirror.

23 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

What I - AM - doing is showing that the posters here relying on the ATOS software to grab a nice satisfying gotcha moment, didn't succeed quite as thoroughly as they might have though. ;)

What you are doing is weaseling in a lame attempt to justify an absurd statement you made about George Will, all because you can't refute the content of his article.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

What you are doing is weaseling in a lame attempt to justify an absurd statement you made about George Will, all because you can't refute the content of his article.

Not unprecedented in his usual style to maintain some sort of personal cognitive peace. Just as I have now had to start watching TV with a remote permanently glued to my hand. In case a trump ad appears and I have to switch channels.

The next five months will likely require extra remote batteries.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Not unprecedented in his usual style to maintain some sort of personal cognitive peace. Just as I have now had to start watching TV with a remote permanently glued to my hand. In case a trump ad appears and I have to switch channels.

The next five months will likely require extra remote batteries.

Damn - That Trump just keeps hitting you in the pocket book, doesn't he?

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I'm not the only one who thought you crossed a line. 

And he's not the only one who thinks you're being way nastier and more spiteful than the post you took exception to.

(edited)

Hi folks,

As if there is already not enough proof that TRUMP MUST GO, this is a new low for him.

‘Ugh’: Republicans cringe after Trump's attack on 75-year-old protester

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/09/republicans-deflect-questions-after-trump-tweet-75-year-old-protester-309075

I think it was Sgt Schultz in Hogan's Heroes who always would say, 'I know nothing.'

'If there was ever a tweet from President Donald Trump that Senate Republicans didn’t want to touch, it’s this one.'

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

5 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

As if there is already not enough proof that TRUMP MUST GO, this is a new low for him.

Just saw the whole tweet. Holy shit. Not only is it a despicable thing to say, it's yet another unhinged conspiracy theory. 

Trump has become more and more disconnected from reality. His campaign sent CNN a "cease and desist letter to CNN President Jeff Zucker demanding that the network retract its recent poll showing Trump trailing Democratic presidential rival Joe Biden by 14 points.

His support has dropped 10% in the last month as more and more rats abandon the sinking USN sewage barge trump.

13 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Trump has become more and more disconnected from reality. His campaign sent CNN a "cease and desist letter to CNN President Jeff Zucker demanding that the network retract its recent poll showing Trump trailing Democratic presidential rival Joe Biden by 14 points.

His support has dropped 10% in the last month as more and more rats abandon the sinking USN sewage barge trump.

Stop insulting our Navy!