3 3
kallend

TRUMP MUST GO

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Bueller here. Live interview from last year, just transcribed by little old me. Link to interview

Wendy P.

will interview.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 21.28.03.png

That's about what I would expect form a non scholar compared to an author.

This is the more telling one, in my opinion - 

Take from it what you want.  

It is Biden's interview - live - I think - It could have been scripted - but who is to know?

I'm assuming it isn't.

image.png.58b448226990c4d0c87aab22ee2654f1.png

I added roughly the same # of words for comparison.

Turtle, the assertion you made was that the Will article was a liberal hack job done by a 12-year-old. It's pretty clear that's not the case. By any of the measures, Trump's use of the language lags everyone else's that's been presented (and no fair analyzing Skippy the Wonder Dog's brilliant contributions to the barking chain in 101 Dalmations). 

That he reads with difficulty isn't his fault; lots of people have reading disabilities. That he doesn't see it as an issue is much more of a problem, because there are, in fact, useful things to be learned from books, and from experts.

Wendy P.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, jakee said:

Not on any individual issue I've seen you take a stand on here. I've only seen you do exactly what I've just said - use your declaration of bias as a shield against having to rethink a biased position.

>>>> Then you have issues with attention span and comprehension.

And then you moan that people aren't being fair to you because they judge you on those responses. Well guess what - that's your fault. If you said balanced stuff, you'd be seen as balanced. If you continue to spew partisan judgements you're going to be seen as partisan - even if you claim you're only doing it to bite back at people.

>>>> I don't moan - I just post my points - Its everyone else moaning and touting how they are capable of clicking a block button. 

It means that they have the intellectual honesty to be able to seperate person from party.

>>>> No.  That is not what that means, but you know that.

Come on man, it's crazy the lengths you'll go to in order to maintain this view of yoursef as the only guy with any balance.

>>>> Not the only one - the most vocal one

You see people on the left you say they're too biased to see the other side of the issue and they should be more like you.

>>>> I call it out when I see it.  Obviously it is not every word everyone types here.  It appears you are being an absolutist on this.

Then someone on the right starts criticising a right wing person or position and you claim they're still just as biased, they've simply switched sides.

>>>>The Long Time republicans that swear they will never vote republican again disprove your theory there.

You can't conceive that anyone else is capable of doing what you claim you are doing.

>>>>Just as you can't conceive that a political ideal cannot be right if you aren't in agreement with it.

It's fucking odd, to be honest.

I agree!

I have an idea - why don't you focus on the issues instead of spending time trying to analyze me?

Edited by turtlespeed

No, it's shit-slinging. Hemingway won major literary prizes (including the Nobel and Pulitzer) for his ability to use simple language and short words effectively. Unless you're starting a new thread on language usage. 

Wendy P.

36 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Then you have issues with attention span and comprehension.

That's not just wrong, it doesn't even make sense in context. The fact is that you do use you declaration of bias as a shield when people call you on your biased positions. Like when you said Biden was definitely involved in Ukrainian corruption just because. People called you on that and you pretty much just said 'yeah I know I'm biased and I stand by it'. You never for one second contemplated re-examining your position, and it's the same story over and over again.

I don't moan - I just post my points - Its everyone else moaning and touting how they are capable of clicking a block button. 

Lol, come off it. You are constantly moaning that you're misunderstood or misrepresented, that you're not the Trump defender or right wing partisan that everyone says you are. Saying that you dont is just a lie. And now that you're saying you intentionally post stuff in that style to mimic people you think are too partisan, how can it possibly be anyone's fault but yours that you are misunderstood?

The Long Time republicans that swear they will never vote republican again disprove your theory there.

I haven't seen any such claim from George Will, yet you claim that he's simply switched sides too. For no other reason than you think he can't possibly be as reasonable as you.

15 minutes ago, jakee said:

That's not just wrong, it doesn't even make sense in context. The fact is that you do use you declaration of bias as a shield when people call you on your biased positions. Like when you said Biden was definitely involved in Ukrainian corruption just because. People called you on that and you pretty much just said 'yeah I know I'm biased and I stand by it'. You never for one second contemplated re-examining your position, and it's the same story over and over again.

Lol, come off it. You are constantly moaning that you're misunderstood or misrepresented, that you're not the Trump defender or right wing partisan that everyone says you are. Saying that you dont is just a lie. And now that you're saying you intentionally post stuff in that style to mimic people you think are too partisan, how can it possibly be anyone's fault but yours that you are misunderstood?

I haven't seen any such claim from George Will, yet you claim that he's simply switched sides too. For no other reason than you think he can't possibly be as reasonable as you.

I guess you are going to just focus on me your entire career here in SC.

Ok - thats fine.  

What is my address there?  I need to forward my mail to my residence in your head.

(edited)
40 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

No, it's shit-slinging. Hemingway won major literary prizes (including the Nobel and Pulitzer) for his ability to use simple language and short words effectively. Unless you're starting a new thread on language usage. 

Wendy P.

No - its irony, not shit-slinging.   I didn't insult anyone, or try to trounce on anyone.  I showed a flaw.

Using Hemingway does an amazing job of showing that there are some major flaws in the metrics that are being used.

Afterthought -

I posted the one about Biden because of how high his scores are.  I was impressed by that.

I also wanted to compare to an acclaimed author - Hemingway was the first to come to mind - Probably because I am reading the "Call of the Wild" that was just made into a movie - which I also saw.

Edited by turtlespeed
Afterthought

3 hours ago, jakee said:

There are several regulars here who stated they were long time republicans until fairly recently and who only left because the party drifted to the right and to the fringe, not because they came further left. They really are centreist enough to be able to look beyond any former party loyalty.

Hi jakee,

Me, me, me.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)

No, it doesn't. It highlights, instead, Hemingway's genius, and says that complex thoughts, language, and vocabulary are not the only metrics that matter. Tolstoy was a pretty good writer, too, and he didn't even write in English, so maybe English isn't that important. The ability to analyze the issues, and then formulate and communicate the analysis and the plan, is key to effective leadership.

The ability to analyze mass emotions, and then channel them to a cause, is demagoguery. They're different.

In the case of this discussion, Trump's interview language is below those of the other examples. Don't deflect, just move on.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999
delete random spoiler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I guess you are going to just focus on me your entire career here in SC.

You drag the conversations around to you when you keep posting that everyone should be more like you. Whatever you put out is what you invite comment on, and you put out a bunch of stuff about you.

7 hours ago, jakee said:

You drag the conversations around to you when you keep posting that everyone should be more like you. Whatever you put out is what you invite comment on, and you put out a bunch of stuff about you.

Carrying on in support of his Great Leader's example of Trumpsim. "Me! ME! MEEEE!!!"

Sad really.

9 hours ago, wmw999 said:

No, it doesn't. It highlights, instead, Hemingway's genius, and says that complex thoughts, language, and vocabulary are not the only metrics that matter. Tolstoy was a pretty good writer, too, and he didn't even write in English, so maybe English isn't that important. The ability to analyze the issues, and then formulate and communicate the analysis and the plan, is key to effective leadership.

The ability to analyze mass emotions, and then channel them to a cause, is demagoguery. They're different.

In the case of this discussion, Trump's interview language is below those of the other examples. Don't deflect, just move on.

Wendy P.

Wendy for President!

12 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

He's irrelevant now.

Oh, I give you a week before someone criticizes something Trump does, and you say "but Obama . . ."

Using Hemingway does an amazing job of showing that there are some major flaws in the metrics that are being used.

Oh please.  That's like comparing a child's scribbling to a Jackson Pollock and saying "See?  They are basically the SAME!  Abstract art is just childish scribbling.  Anyone can do it."  That says far more about your limitations than it says about "major flaws in the art world."

Like Wendy said, the point has been made.  Stop digging and move on.

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Oh, I give you a week before someone criticizes something Trump does, and you say "but Obama . . ."

Oh please.  That's like comparing a child's scribbling to a Jackson Pollock and saying "See?  They are basically the SAME!  Abstract art is just childish scribbling.  Anyone can do it."  That says far more about your limitations than it says about "major flaws in the art world."

Like Wendy said, the point has been made.  Stop digging and move on.

I get it - I found an instance where the numbers don't reflect the answers you want them to.  They sort of make the trump speech have better marks than Hemingway.  It is a flaw in your gotcha moment.  But . . . just Move on - 

Corona virus - We have found a way to make the virus detectable - Except in THIS scenario - it looks like the numbers actually show the opposite - we are just going to move on from this though.  It doesn't show what we want.

I know a poster that uses that logic when trying to debate Climate Change with you too.

(edited)
36 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I get it - I found an instance where the numbers don't reflect the answers you want them to.  They sort of make the trump speech have better marks than Hemingway.  It is a flaw in your gotcha moment.  But . . . just Move on - 

Corona virus - We have found a way to make the virus detectable - Except in THIS scenario - it looks like the numbers actually show the opposite - we are just going to move on from this though.  It doesn't show what we want.

I know a poster that uses that logic when trying to debate Climate Change with you too.

Theories in complex environments will  never be as perfect as mathematical theorems. Newton's theory of gravity doesn't work in all circumstances, but we don't discard it or diss him. We keep trying to figure it out, accept that the theory is something of a predictor, and keep moving. 

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Theories in complex environments will  never be as perfect as mathematical theorems. Newton's theory of gravity doesn't work in all circumstances, but we don't discard it or diss him. We keep trying to figure it out, accept that the theory is something of a predictor, and keep moving. 

Wendy P.

I'm not bucking that at all.

I'm not dissing Hemingway at all.

What I - AM - doing is showing that the posters here relying on the ATOS software to grab a nice satisfying gotcha moment, didn't succeed quite as thoroughly as they might have though. ;)

And using that as the only measure is absolutely invalid. But combining it with the content does provide the same kind of gotcha moment as watching a short guy trying to play HORSE on the playground. 

Most people aren't Spud Webb, either.

As a by-the-by, while I'm perfectly willing to recognize their genius, neither Jackson Pollock nor Ernest Hemingway are my cup of tea ^_^

Wendy P.

41 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And using that as the only measure is absolutely invalid. But combining it with the content does provide the same kind of gotcha moment as watching a short guy trying to play HORSE on the playground. 

Most people aren't Spud Webb, either.

As a by-the-by, while I'm perfectly willing to recognize their genius, neither Jackson Pollock nor Ernest Hemingway are my cup of tea ^_^

Wendy P.

Are you a Hieronymus Bosch kinda girl?

I love his work.

22 hours ago, jakee said:

Yeah, because by your standard you are bullying him.

I am. You are right. I don't like bullies, so I bully them. It's how you get bullies to back off. They're not use to it and it rocks their world. And you asked for an apology of which I have no intention of giving for bullying a bully. But, I do thank you for that wonderful Internet diagnosis. But, you know - every time someone uses the phrase "Passive-Aggressive" I wonder why they hate women.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

After hearing about Hemingway for so many years, I decided to read "A Farewell to Arms". I was startled at how simple the vocabulary was. 

In contrast, I used to watch "Firing Line" and always kept a pencil and paper at hand to write down the unfamiliar words used by William F Buckley Jr. Afterward, I looked them up in a dictionary.  I usually learned about 3 new words with each show.

Edited by ryoder