Pit76

How to push myself to register a slot in the plane..

I only have 8 jumps, 6 AFF with instructor, 1 solo jump and then at my home DZ 1 orientation jump with an instructor. This was needed because I didn't do my AFF there and they wanted to know I could do the basics needed. All went perfectly fine and I'm cleared to jump alone.

But somehow I can't push myself to go to the manifest and register myself a spot on the plane.
I don't think it's real fear, because once in the plane I'm happy that I'm there and looking forward to jump. I have no real fear when I need to jump out, only some stress when the door opens ;)
I know I can control myself in the air (basic arch position and some other basic moves), I know what to check for when the canopy opens, what to do in case of a problem and never had a bad landing (yet). So I have no reason to hold me back and jump alone.

It frustrates me that when I think of going to the manifest and register a slot on the plane my stresslevel goes of the chart. Does anyone have this to?
I did send an email to my AFF instructor and he says it's normal that I have these issues and I have got to go through them and build up airtime. I know he's right, but for that I need to get in the plane.

When I land after a jump I ask myself "what the hell was I stressing about". I like the feeling and my inner self wants to jump. On good days I find myself looking at the sky and wishing I was up there. But again, I need to get in the plane.

Ofcourse I am new to my home DZ and don't know anyone yet, except the instructor which who I did the orientation jump with. So I keep hanging around and look at other go in the plane, jump and land.

I hope this makes any sense to someone..

I still remember years ago when I had about your number of jumps, I drove 40min to the dz, walked in through one door, walked toward manifest but I was too freaked out to sign up, walked out the other door, back in my car and drove home.

Then next weekend I drove down again, but signed up. So I think I can understand some of your fears, and lots of people have similar issues. Switching DZs while still a student certainly adds more stress.

My advice is to do some more jumps with an instructor. It's good practice and a good instructor can help you focus on tasks and eventually you will find your fears subside.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Similarly, get the A licence qualification card (or whatever they call it these days???). Ask your local instructor to do a few more jumps with you to complete the card. If he/she is too busy, ask him/her to recommend a local coach to help you complete the card.

Also, take a lunch and spend the day at the DZ, watching jumping. You can learn a lot by watching wind socks. landing patterns, packers, etc.

Cold lemonade is a great ice-breaker on hot days. Even the busiest skydivers will pause long enough to chug a lemonade.

If you don't have a long drive home, consider hanging out at the bonfire in the evenings. Beer bribes are a great way to loosen the tongues of Parachutists Over Phorty. If you listen carefully, you can learn from POPS mistakes without the scars.
Keep a sleeping bag in your car in case you enjoy a few too many wobbly pops with the POPS.
Stir and repeat.

Pit76

I don't think it's real fear, because once in the plane I'm happy that I'm there and looking forward to jump.

It sounds like real fear to me ;) - and as is often the case with fear, you experience it most during the anticipation of the event. However, it's important to recognise that there's nothing wrong with this - you're doing something wholly unnatural to your species that goes against all your instincts of self-preservation, and it takes a while for your brain to acclimatise to that. If this is a new thing since you completed your AFF, it might be to do with the fact that you don't have anyone holding your hand any more and that can also be a little daunting to begin with.

If as you say you feel fine in the plane and during the skydive, then there's no safety issue (as would be the case if your state of mind meant you were unable to function properly or think clearly). I would say once you get to the dropzone you need to acknowledge to yourself that you are fearful, but power through it and concentrate on the reward that comes at the end, and meanwhile try thinking of your apprehension as a healthy thing that will keep you alert and safe. Do that enough times, and the fear will gradually dissipate to a manageable and even enjoyable level. Just about all skydivers feel some degree of apprehension before a jump, so don't let them tell you otherwise.

Visulisation can also help, and it's something you can do anywhere at any time - relax, and in your head picture yourself manifesting, gearing up, boarding the plane, exiting and having the skydive of your life, and remind yourself of why you are doing this.

Brian Germain, who's a member here, has written a book called Transcending Fear that you might like to check out. I haven't read it, but I know many skydivers have found it helpful.

Good luck!

I agree with the posters above who recommended:

-Get that A license card, show it to a local instructor and ask how to get started knocking it out.

-Ask about "coach jumps", a few of them will be required to finish that license, but one or two right away will likely help you get into the swing of things at your new DZ.

Before getting my A license (or BOSS) here in Belgium you have to do at least 10 solo jumps before you can start with it.
Two weeks ago I went with some friends to the DZ and we registered ourselves a slot. I was feeling sick of the nerves and stress but I wanted, needed to jump.
Turned out that I first needed to do a refreshment jump with an instructor (below 25 jumps and more then a month between last jump).
Gave me a little more confidence knowing that I wouldn't be alone out there.

So I went up, was actually pretty relaxed, jumped out when it was my turn and had a great jump! After landing I took the canopy, asked to pack and went straight back up for a solo.
Did three jumps last weekend and again three solo jumps yesterday.
I still have some nerves and stress when going up, but that's ok. I feel a lot more relaxed during the freefall itself, much more aware.

DZ closes a month or two in the winter, so I hope that fear will not come back and I have to start over.

I must say that at this moment three jumps a day is good for me, then I'm tired, but happy.

Now sitting at my desk after my pc at work, looking at the blue sky outside, longing to go up again.
I really do love this.