plutoniumsalmon

Health insurance

Your best bet is to call an independent insurance broker, or start with some internet searches only they can answer your questions completely - unfortuantely this is a skydiving website and not a health insurance one.

If your looking for what other people are paying that are of a similar age bracket, thats a different question.

I have insurance through my employer, and accident only insurance that I purchased through an independent insruance broker - none of which is terribly expensive.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Start with your employer. If they have benefits, that's usually going to be your best bet.

If they do not, a great place to start is eHealthInsurance. You can look at a variety of different plans, get quotes, and compare options. You can even apply online. There's a lot of information on there about how to assess what you need. Think through how often you go to the doctor / get prescriptions on a normal basis... if it's not very often you may be better off paying for the occasional visit out of pocket and getting something with a high deductible to cover yourself in the case of an accident/major illness.

As for skydiving, the key thing is to read the documentation and make sure there are no exclusions for certain activities (e.g., skydiving).

At your age/health status, you should be able to get something for well under $100 a month, probably under $50, depending on what kind of benefits you get.

Note that I am not a professional at this, just someone who has worked in the industry. It's incumbent on you to do your own research. The site above is a great place to start.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

since you're in California, look up Blue Cross's Tonik. It is exactly what you're looking for. Advertized for the risk accepting Californians in their 20s.

If you find a loophole in it that's wrong, please PM me. I don't have it because I already have something fine else with BC, and at 33 I don't think I'm eligible.

What health insurance should I get so that if I get injured whilst skydiving I will not get stuck with a huge bill. How much does it cost. I dont smoke, mid 20's, no health problems.

thank you

'

don't you have a National Health Service? pity :D

no...but at least we are truely free.

hahahahaha:D:D:D that was funny,
Move to OZ it's cheaper than getting full coverage in the states:P and we have sunshine all year;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm not certain, but activities aren't necessarily excluded by Health Insurance. Life Insurance, in general is. But with Life, you'll either be ineligible or have higher premiums.

(I know, this thread is a little old, but I'm looking at the same issue...)

My company offers two health plans, one with a company I DON'T like, the other reads as follows:

"Exclusions: 20. Charges for services, supplies or teatment due to an illness or injury that results from engagin in hazardous hobby. A hobby is hazardous if it is an activity which is chacterized by a threat of danger or risk of bosily harm. Examples of hazarous hobbies include, but are not limited to: skydiving, auto racing or any kind of organized vehicular speed or endurance contest on land, water or air, hang gliding, jet ski operating, bungee jumping, stunt driving, aerobatis demonstration or contest or scuba diving."

Seems like this is a catch-all for not falling into line with the structured society of drones.

If anyone knows of any supplimental health insurance available in the US, lemme know.

Thanks,
JW

PS - last time I read the USPA supplimental AD&D policy, it excluded piloting planes, and AOPA's ADD&D policy excluded skydiving... [:/]
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

"Exclusions: 20. Charges for services, supplies or teatment due to an illness or injury that results from engagin in hazardous hobby. A hobby is hazardous if it is an activity which is chacterized by a threat of danger or risk of bosily harm. Examples of hazarous hobbies include, but are not limited to: skydiving, auto racing or any kind of organized vehicular speed or endurance contest on land, water or air, hang gliding, jet ski operating, bungee jumping, stunt driving, aerobatis demonstration or contest or scuba diving."

Seems like this is a catch-all for not falling into line with the structured society of drones.

Seems a bit vague to be enforceable, but I'm sure they've tried to stack the deck in their favor. Never seen scuba excluded as a risky sport - it ain't, short of actual death. OTOH, hyperbaric chambers often aren't covered so you need to pay $50/yr for a separate policy.

I think you need to go with the other option - can't be any worse than this. And complain to HR.

It's very interesting to watch the Paradigm shifts within the Insurance Industry as their balls are squished more and more with soaring healthcare costs. My Wife and I were in the same problem. We had savings, but wanted to buy a seperate health insurance policy as we were both students at the time. I skydive, she doesn't do 'dangerous' sports, but lives a very active lifestyle.

I asked around and learned a lot. Long Story Short, I asked specifically for a policy that would cover Skydiving Injuries, and after being told my my agent again and again about this fantastic High-Deductible policy, we bought in. After 6 months and some $1200 later, we get a letter saying Skydiving was not and will not be covered (after assuring me, while taking my check, that it was).

I learned the hard way. My advice: Don't mention it. Don't ask, don't tell. If you are hurt, you fell. that's it. Have your buddies take your rig off, get you to a hospital, and you fell. Period, end of report. Those "catch all" phrases are just written to pay out as little as possible. Right now the insurance I have I am required to by from my University, and basically it has a catch-all the exempts almost everything except fallilng down walking to class.
:|
=========Shaun ==========

Hi! Am currently in the same situation like yours. I found this http://www.medibank.com.au/ while I was searching for options. Just wanted to know if someone is familiar with them? Please share your thoughts.

You will probably get a more intelligent answer if you fill in some profile information or at least mention where you live and/or plan to travel for skydiving. Medibank Private is a large and well-known Australian health insurer. Your post seems to suggest that you've never heard of them, so I'm guessing that you're neither Australian nor living in Australia. I doubt that their policy offerings will be applicable to anyone outside of Australia, but I could be wrong.

In any case, where are you? The usefulness of anyone else's experiences will depend on whether they're buying insurance in a similar market to you or not.

I would also add, if you are actually in Australia, you'll probably get a better response at the skysurfer.com.au forums.

sorry if digging up old thread.

What is to stop one from saying they broke their foot playing a non high risk sport (basketball, soccer) vs from downsizing too quickly?? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Obviously anything serious enough to require a trip to the ER asap is going to be harder to cover up. But injuries where you can come in a couple days later? Asking for a friend.

chemist

sorry if digging up old thread.

What is to stop one from saying they broke their foot playing a non high risk sport (basketball, soccer) vs from downsizing too quickly?? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Obviously anything serious enough to require a trip to the ER asap is going to be harder to cover up. But injuries where you can come in a couple days later? Asking for a friend.

Insurance fraud and the fact that you'll probably have video on FB easy for the investigator to find.:P
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Also there's the fact that you've now posted this question to the interwebs, and it will never, ever truly go away. 30 years from now you'll have a legitimate claim and some dweeb at the insurance company is going to dig this up and reject your claim. :S

pterodactyl1986

Old thread but while it's active....

I have decent health care through work (not the best, but its not bad)

If I were to get injured while landing, will they cover me?
How do I go about finding out if there is an extreme sports clause?

Read the find print.

Ask your H/R people for a copy, or simply ask them if there's any exclusion clauses for "extreme sports".

In my experience, health insurance will cover just about any injury from any cause.

Disability insurance is a whole different thing.
They often exclude 'extreme sports' (named individually in the clause) and a wide variety of other activities, often including anything involving a private aircraft (not for hire).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo