1 1
normiss

National protests against Minneapolis police murderers?

10 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Attorney is compiling a list of police brutality incidents in a Twitter thread. Most with video:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847

Its astounding that LE in the current environment is not on its best behavior. Obviously Mayors are not doing their jobs.

By firing Police Chiefs who can't or won't train their personnel.

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Its astounding that LE in the current environment is not on its best behavior. Obviously Mayors are not doing their jobs.

By firing Police Chiefs who can't or won't train their personnel.

There seems to be a nationwide problem of thugs-with-badges who cannot distinguish the difference between:

a) A public agency that serves the public.

b) An occupying army.

I think it is time that every cop was required to wear a body camera, with the first incident of "I forgot to turn it on" resulting in immediate firing.

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

There seems to be a nationwide problem of thugs-with-badges who cannot distinguish the difference between:

b) An occupying army.

I think it is time that every cop was required to wear a body camera, with the first incident of "I forgot to turn it on" resulting in immediate firing.

Chiefs of Police and Police unions. Who both believe their bread is buttered by officers and not the public trust.

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

b) An occupying army.

I saw a meme on FB that turning off a body cam should be chargable as destroying evidence.

"Failing to gather" isn't quite the same thing, and it goes against the basic 'presumed innocent until proven guilty' principle.

However, todays tech gives the ability to record an entire shift. It should NEVER BE OFF!!!

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

However, todays tech gives the ability to record an entire shift. It should NEVER BE OFF!!!

Beyond that how about routine, random monitoring of arrest video to ensure training and lawful conduct. Most business today monitor conversations and interactions with customers for "training purposes".

Said monitoring done by a LE outsider.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Beyond that how about routine, random monitoring of arrest video to ensure training and lawful conduct. Most business today monitor conversations and interactions with customers for "training purposes".

Said monitoring done by a LE outsider.

That sounds good, but would take a lot of time & effort.

However, if the citizenry knows that everything is recorded, and as long as those recordings are reasonably available (the difficulty in getting the MacDonald shooting video released is a good example of not reasonably available), then I don't think it would be a big issue.

If every cop (and every arrestee) knew that they were on camera, and that whatever they did would be 'used in court against them', then the problem would be reduced by a decent amount.

Cities that put body cams on their officers have already found this out.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

If every cop (and every arrestee) knew that they were on camera, and that whatever they did would be 'used in court against them', then the problem would be reduced by a decent amount.

I went through some training through work around arresting, detaining, struggling, fighting with people. The trainer was a Sgt of the Toronto ETF (Toronto's SWAT). This now goes back more than 15 years. Even at that time he said: always act like you are on camera.

Amazing how much compliance can be achieved with a simple pinch on the inside of the arm or thigh.

Edited by SkyDekker

7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Amazing how much compliance can be achieved with a simple pinch on the inside of the arm or thigh.

Oh yeah. 

There are a wide variety of ways to inflict significant pain, without ANY risk of permanent harm or death.

The pinches you describe are one, bending fingers in ways they don't normally bend is another one. 

There's a huge difference between enforcing compliance through pain and brutality. 

Unbelievable. After the Buffalo (NY) PD was caught on camera throwing a 75yo man to the ground and splitting his head open, 2 of the thugs were suspended.

Now, five dozen of the other cops have resigned in protest over the suspensions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/buffalo-officers-shoving-75-year-old-ground-decried-governor-where-n1225776

Just now, ryoder said:

Unbelievable. After the Buffalo (NY) PD was caught on camera throwing a 75yo man to the ground and splitting his head open, 2 of the thugs were suspended.

Now, five dozen of the other cops have resigned in protest over the suspensions.

Let me guess - "the 75 year old was resisting and the cops feared for their lives.  And that 75 year old was no choirboy, let me tell you."

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/buffalo-officers-shoving-75-year-old-ground-decried-governor-where-n1225776

Shows brutality is systemic. When that level of violence is seen as being normalised, you have a big problem and probably best they resigned. 

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Hopefully the revolving door of the LE industry doesn't allow any of them to find another pay ticket in the industry. Furthermore if that same door hits them in the ass on the way out, TS, adios, areviderchi.

37 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Probably most of them could also be charged over similar action.

None of them have actually resigned from their jobs. They have just quit the emergency force that turns out for crowd control.

36 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Hopefully the revolving door of the LE industry doesn't allow any of them to find another pay ticket in the industry. 

Of course it will.  In some jurisdictions, their experience supporting police brutality will be a big point in their favor.

Which is, sadly, one of the reasons that the riots may be important.  For some police forces, the only thing that may stay their hand is the near-certainty that their city will be destroyed by looting if they beat or kill innocent people.

Just now, billvon said:

Of course it will.  In some jurisdictions, their experience supporting police brutality will be a big point in their favor.

Which is, sadly, one of the reasons that the riots may be important.  For some police forces, the only thing that may stay their hand is the near-certainty that their city will be destroyed by looting if they beat or kill innocent people.

As you grapple with violence and protests I did not realise today is apparently Gun Violence awareness day. I get the wear orange is probably from the hunting practices, but all I can think of when seeing wear orange is Trump

4C05BC3A-813D-42D0-A4BE-8ECC9B357834.jpeg

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Chiefs of Police and Police unions. Who both believe their bread is buttered by officers and not the public trust.

It's a sad time when it's reasonable to believe that the only difference between the cops and the crooks is the badge.