1 1
normiss

National protests against Minneapolis police murderers?

12 minutes ago, DJL said:

Speaking specifically of this cop, there's no indication as to his intent.  You can't automatically say it was a white power symbol 

I didn't automatically say it was. You said it definitely had absolutely nothing to do with white power.

any more than you can say someone raising their arm at an angle is a Nazi salute.  Even if they're standing in front of crowd of people protesting against Nazis.

In this instance, no one is disputing that the sign given is the ok sign. If someone standing in front of an anti nazi crowd gave a gesture that was a nazi salute you'd have to be pretty damn obtuse to argue that they weren't intending to antagonise people who don't like nazis

15 minutes ago, DJL said:

Speaking specifically of this cop, there's no indication as to his intent.  You can't automatically say it was a white power symbol any more than you can say someone raising their arm at an angle is a Nazi salute.  Even if they're standing in front of crowd of people protesting against Nazis.

Sure, and the guys spraying swastikas might be using it as a symbol of divinity and spirituality. I mean without knowing every single detail, you just don't know.

I mean the journalist laying on the ground holding up his credentials and getting pepper sprayed might have asked for it, just so he could have something go viral. I mean, without knowing every detail and seeing the 48 hours leading up to it, you just don't know.

If that cop didn't know the meaning of that symbol, joke or not, do you really think he is trained enough to be present at a Black Lives Matter protest? That makes for two more stupid cops, showing exactly what is being protested against.

21 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Turtle, funny that for a guy who always has a come-back, you go silent on a post like this. And you wonder why people make assumptions about you.......

24 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Sure, and the guys spraying swastikas might be using it as a symbol of divinity and spirituality. I mean without knowing every single detail, you just don't know.

I mean the journalist laying on the ground holding up his credentials and getting pepper sprayed might have asked for it, just so he could have something go viral. I mean, without knowing every detail and seeing the 48 hours leading up to it, you just don't know.

If that cop didn't know the meaning of that symbol, joke or not, do you really think he is trained enough to be present at a Black Lives Matter protest? That makes for two more stupid cops, showing exactly what is being protested against.

So you can assume the intentions of some but not others?  Interesting...

6 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Maybe you should watch his facial expressions and his body language.

FOUR.  SECOND.  CLIP.   Looks like he was pissed at someone, that doesn't he decided to flash a white supremacy symbol.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

I didn't automatically say it was. You said it definitely had absolutely nothing to do with white power.

In this instance, no one is disputing that the sign given is the ok sign. If someone standing in front of an anti nazi crowd gave a gesture that was a nazi salute you'd have to be pretty damn obtuse to argue that they weren't intending to antagonise people who don't like nazis

Yeah, pretty hard to confuse that one.  BUT we've all seen tons of pictures made to look like someone is making a Nazi salute when they're just in the middle of a wave.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

That's fair.  To move my own goalposts I'm saying that it cannot be said, simply from a slice of video that this guy was attempting to make a symbol regarding white power.

8 minutes ago, DJL said:

FOUR.  SECOND.  CLIP.   Looks like he was pissed at someone, that doesn't he decided to flash a white supremacy symbol.

Stop!  You're arguing with a man who believes he is intelligent enough to know everyone's intentions.

5 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Does suggest he would flash a symbol trying to piss somebody else off.

So what, he was sarcastically saying "OK" to someone being an ass to him.  I'm waiting for these guys to start using "thumb guns" as their next signal they convince everyone is about white power.

1 minute ago, DJL said:

So what, he was sarcastically saying "OK" to someone being an ass to him.  I'm waiting for these guys to start using "thumb guns" as their next signal they convince everyone is about white power.

Sure, that could be it. Though they tend to use their knees more for that purpose. But then, you haven't seen the entire clip, so not really sure what happened right......

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Sure, that could be it. Though they tend to use their knees more for that purpose. But then, you haven't seen the entire clip, so not really sure what happened right......

Hold your horses.  Trump is doing it.  RACIST.  (Well, that's still true just not in the context of the point I've been trying to make.)

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F8aa7a390-a787-11e6-8898-79a99e2a4de6?fit=scale-down&source=next&width=700

Just now, DJL said:

Hold your horses.  Trump is doing it.  RACIST.  (Well, that's still true just not in the context of the point I've been trying to make.)

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F8aa7a390-a787-11e6-8898-79a99e2a4de6?fit=scale-down&source=next&width=700

That's awfully similar to the "I have a black friend" argument. You can do better.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That's awfully similar to the "I have a black friend" argument. You can do better.

What, you think I'm saying that Trump isn't racist because he's sitting next to Obama?  He is racist because his demonstrably is but it can't be said that his OK signals are meant as nods to white nationalists.

And by the way that was intended as a point of humor.

Edited by DJL

22 minutes ago, DJL said:

What, you think I'm saying that Trump isn't racist because he's sitting next to Obama?  He is racist because his demonstrably is but it can't be said that his OK signals are meant as nods to white nationalists.

And by the way that was intended as a point of humor.

I find very little humour in racism.

Wonder if you can spot the differences in these two short videos:

one

two

(edited)
11 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Wonder if you can spot the differences in these two short videos:

one

two

Are you really trying to give me some kind of litmus test on racism?  Sure.  Keep sending examples.  You're barking up the wrong tree.  One location is cops sending an armed white guy away from a protest location after sticking a gun in people's face, the other is cops pepper spraying and apprehending a black guy mouthing off to them at a protest location.  It's indicative of the exact things they're protesting.  There are even better examples of that out there in which white people are breaking windows while the black people are the ones getting arrested.

Next?

Edited by DJL

(edited)
12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

What's your statement about "having a black friend"?  What does that have to do with the picture?

And also, get over yourself.

Edited by DJL

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

What's your statement about "having a black friend"?  What does that have to do with the picture?

Look, somebody is doing a symbol in a non-racist way, therefor it cannot be racist.

Look I have a black friend, therefor I cannot be racist.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Look, somebody is doing a symbol in a non-racist way, therefor it cannot be racist.

Look I have a black friend, therefor I cannot be racist.

But it can be racist and I'm not saying it cannot.  I'm saying you can't take 4 seconds of someone who looks mad and makes the OK signal and say that therefore it's racist any more than you can say you have a black friend and therefore you cannot be racist.  This shouldn't be confusing.  You really cannot make that automatic assumption with no context or knowledge of the situation.

Edited by DJL