1 1
normiss

National protests against Minneapolis police murderers?

19 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Is the peaceful part where the bricks get thrown first or the bottles first before the teargas is deployed, I don't remember.

Watch this and maybe you will remember

Here is another one for you

Oh look, another one

Oh look a NYPD officer throwing a white power sign while another one chuckles at it.

39 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

There also seems to be a concerted effort on the part of LE to target journalists. The emperor wears no clothes and it is a retina burning sight.

39 minutes ago, airdvr said:

It really is a shame.  Nearly everyone who saw the video knew it was wrong and sympathized with the protesters until it turned to looting.  They wasted a good opportunity.

Interesting how when cops murder unarmed black people, it is a few bad apples. We cannot allow a few bad apples to sour the great work law enforcement does.

However, with the shoe on the other foot, you quickly nullify any validity of a protest.

Shows the inequality they are talking about nicely, doesn't it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

<Face Palm>

I wonder if this might cause you to stop and think about how the way you see things relates to the truth. About the spin that happens inside your own head that just made you read black as white and up as down.

39 minutes ago, jakee said:

I wonder if this might cause you to stop and think about how the way you see things relates to the truth. About the spin that happens inside your own head that just made you read black as white and up as down.

It won’t. I’ve watched him drift from mildly biased a few months ago to outright regurgitating Trumps bullshit. The occasional face palm followed a few posts later with the justification that Trump has given for his poor behaviour 

16 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

It won’t. I’ve watched him drift from mildly biased a few months ago to outright regurgitating Trumps bullshit. The occasional face palm followed a few posts later with the justification that Trump has given for his poor behaviour 

It's just a symptom of the cognitive dissonance necessary to be a Trump supporter while pretending to be intelligent and well informed.

6 hours ago, headoverheels said:

So Trump uses tear gas and rubber bullets on peaceful demonstrators, so that he can go do a photo-op in front of a closed church.  The bishop overseeing that church is not pleased. 

Whats more Christian in trumps mind than using jackboots, live ammunition and gas for a good photo op. Evangelicals cheered, his loyal white supporters loved the bible in his hands-nice touch.

MAGA, this story made headlines around the world. Even Mark's friends in Iran were showing the clips. Beauty!

21 minutes ago, DJL said:

Absolutely NOT.  The OK sign was NOT appropriated into white power symbolism.   That was an online joke that somehow got legs.

Those legs involved it ACTUALLY being appropriated into white power symbolism.

I'm thinking now that this is a reflection of the same extension of capitalism -- 

"My property is more important than your health"

"My property is more important than your rights"

"My property is how I define and measure my freedom"

Castle doctrine seems to be something of an offshoot of this (not just personal safety) this.  Yeah, The Wealth of Nations was seminal. In 1776. Too strict an originalism in either Constitutional Scholarship or capitalism kind of means ignoring the last 250 or so years. A lot has changed in that time.

Wendy P.

46 minutes ago, jakee said:

Those legs involved it ACTUALLY being appropriated into white power symbolism.

It was brought up as a joke by a group of online white nationalists to see if they could get liberals to start saying that the OK symbol was a white power symbol.  They were successful.  You may now see white nationalists using it and thus perpetuating that notion.  A cop (or USNA/USMA students) making the OK symbol in no way is a reference to the white power movement.  It has no individual meaning, there's no O and K or Zero and Three symbology that represents something about white nationalism.

(edited)
28 minutes ago, DJL said:

You may now see white nationalists using it and thus perpetuating that notion. 

Yes, they're perpetuating the notion that it is used as a white power symbol because it is now used as a white power symbol. No matter that it started as a hoax, it was such a successful one that reality ended up following art. There is now definite, post-ironic use of ok as a real white power symbol.

A cop (or USNA/USMA students) making the OK symbol in no way is a reference to the white power movement. 

It is if he means it to be. That's what symbols are, vehicles to convey meaning.

Now, for sure this is tricky because the ok symbol still usually just means ok. In this case I'm not so sure. Can't really see who he would be so ostentatiously signalling ok to and why it would be so funny. Looks to me more likely that he's doing it because he knows some people will see it as a white power symbol. And at that point it doesn't really matter if he's in on the joke or not, or he is a supremacist or not - he's doing it because he knows what people will think it means and he knows that will piss them off. And that is arrogant, stupid and counterproductive behaviour that nobody needs to see right now.

It has no individual meaning, there's no O and K or Zero and Three symbology that represents something about white nationalism.

There doesn't need to be. That's not how symbolism works. There's no individual meaning to a palm down salute that represents something about Nazism, but try throwing one at work, use that excuse and let me know how it goes.

Edited by jakee

52 minutes ago, DJL said:

It was brought up as a joke by a group of online white nationalists to see if they could get liberals to start saying that the OK symbol was a white power symbol.  They were successful.  You may now see white nationalists using it and thus perpetuating that notion.  A cop (or USNA/USMA students) making the OK symbol in no way is a reference to the white power movement.  It has no individual meaning, there's no O and K or Zero and Three symbology that represents something about white nationalism.

Except for the W and the P anyway.

28 minutes ago, jakee said:

It is if he means it to be. That's what symbols are, vehicles to convey meaning.

Now, for sure this is tricky because the ok symbol still usually just means ok. In this case I'm not so sure. Can't really see who he would be so ostentatiously signalling ok to and why it would be so funny. Looks to me more likely that he's doing it because he knows some people will see it as a white power symbol. And at that point it doesn't really matter if he's in on the joke or not, or he is a supremacist or not - he's doing it because he knows what people will think it means and he knows that will piss them off. And that is arrogant, stupid and counterproductive behaviour that nobody needs to see right now.

Sorry but that's a 4 second clip, there's nothing you can draw from that video enabling you to conclude he meant it as a statement of racism.

13 minutes ago, normiss said:

Except for the W and the P anyway.

So they came up with something after the fact?  My point stands and it's proven, these guys set out to show how people could be fooled into reacting towards them and believing that a previously innocuous symbol is somehow tied to white nationalism just by repeating it a few times.

Right now I'm also reading articles and shaking my head about all the people who have gotten in trouble because some do-gooder said they were trying to make a white nationalist symbol when they were just saying Ok or doing the finger circle game.  The nazis won on this one.

(edited)
4 hours ago, phantomII said:

So, if being anti fascist makes you a terrorist in the eyes of the president, does being a fascist make you a loyal citizen than?

It's not what they stand for - everyone here has a right to feel any sort of way that they want to feel.

It's the actions that count.  It's the threats that count.

THAT said - 

Extremist groups (Read White supremacy Groups) are using ANTIFA's reputation to incite violence - or at least attempting to.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/twitter-takes-down-washington-protest-disinformation-bot-behavior-n1221456

and

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-supremacist-telegram-channel-encourages-violence-george-floyd-protests-2020-6

Edited by turtlespeed
Apostrophes

13 minutes ago, DJL said:

So they came up with something after the fact?  My point stands and it's proven, these guys set out to show how people could be fooled into reacting towards them and believing that a previously innocuous symbol is somehow tied to white nationalism just by repeating it a few times.

So what? My point stands and is proven that the people they fooled into believing it was a white power symbol includes white supremacists, who went on to use it without irony as a white power symbol. My point aso stands that it wouldn't matter if he was using it as a joke white power symbol or a real white power symbol for it to be a bad thing to do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jakee said:

So what? My point stands and is proven that the people they fooled into believing it was a white power symbol includes white supremacists, who went on to use it without irony as a white power symbol. My point aso stands that it wouldn't matter if he was using it as a joke white power symbol or a real white power symbol for it to be a bad thing to do.

Speaking specifically of this cop, there's no indication as to his intent.  You can't automatically say it was a white power symbol any more than you can say someone raising their arm at an angle is a Nazi salute.  Even if they're standing in front of crowd of people protesting against Nazis.