1 1
CoolBeans

Hops and Pops from 3500ft

Question

Hi, for AFF we do one hop and pop from 5500ft and then one from 3500ft. However, is doing hops and pops regularly from 3500ft good and safe thing to do? I normally pull at 4500ft and when doing 3500ft hop and pop I would initiate opening at around 3000ft and be fully open around 2500ft.

What do you think? Seems too low for me.

Edited by CoolBeans

9 answers to this question

7 hours ago, CoolBeans said:

Ok, so now I'm the softie then. 

You are not alone. Everyone who goes through AFF starts out up high. If you have never done it, getting out at 3500 seems very extreme. What we did in the past is interesting, but not all that relevant to what is taught today. Break off altitude for 4 way used to be 3500. Then wave, track for 7 seconds, check for clear air, then dump. This was not all that long ago. Even today some of us break at 4000. The reason AFF requires you to do that clear and pull is so you learn that it is safe. The program would never encourage you to do dangerous things. The whole focus is to teach safe skydiving skills.

ha. i'm sure some older skydivers are rolling in their graves over your question. back in the day, people pulled at 2000 ft (or lower). As parachutes have taken longer to open and canopy flight has gotten more exciting (swooping) opening altitudes have moved up.

but think about it, what malfunction could you have that would require 3500ft vs 2500 ft opening? 

11 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

ha. i'm sure some older skydivers are rolling in their graves over your question.

Hi Seth,

Hey, don't put me there just yet; OK?  I'm trying to keep the Reaper at bay.

I think it was '67 when PCA OK'd 1800 openings for D-license holders.  

While we normally went to 3500 for 10+ sec delays, if the weather was bad & we could only get 1800 ft, up we went.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

My first freefall was from 3200', as was standard.  Static line jumps were from 2800'.   I did a lot of accuracy jumps, which were run at a 2500' exit altitude.  After maybe 1200 jumps from 13k, I was on a load on a bad weather day, when we ended up only getting ~3000'.  It had been years since I had exited and almost immediately opened, so it felt a bit tense.  I think the lowest I have exited was 1600', which is lower than my BASE jumps.

16 minutes ago, CoolBeans said:

Hi Beans,

Nope, you just need some experience doing it & you'll be fine.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolBeans said:

Parachutes are designed to open slower now that they used to be.  The lines have less give/stretch, so quick openings would be too brutal.  So a bit of extra altitude at opening is reasonable.  

I think most people would agree that, if you set aside the issue of traffic, pulling at 4500 is safer than pulling at 3500, and pulling at 3500 is safer than pulling at 2500.  And I also think that no skydiver should regularly be forced to pull lower than (s)he is comfortable.  But, if you skydive, there's a chance you'll have to get out lower than you're comfortable with -- say, because there's an aircraft emergency.  So getting out now at 3500, which is lower than your current pull altitude, will give you a taste of that, and let you figure out how to deal with that feeling, and still get stable and pull.

As an aside, most jumpers I know pull between 3000 and 3500.  After you get your A-license, assuming you intend to jump with other people, you will likely slowly begin to lower your pull altitude to around 4000 and then 3500.

Remember  there  is  a  Big  Difference  between   Coasting  through  3,500  feet  AT  Terminal,  and  Exiting  @  3,500  feet....  It  takes  a  while  to  build  up  some  airspeed  and  therefore  "start  Booking  through   your  airspace "  When  you  Leave  a  Plane,  as  compared  to  BEING  In  Freefall …   from  a  Higher  Altitude..  ;-) 
 We  used  to  "  get  Out "  at  2,800  ft.  .....   2,500  ft......  No  worries....
  Sometimes  lower,  IF  we  ran  into  the  ceiling....  ONLY  condition....  Don't  DO  15  or  20  seconds,  from a  Low  exit..... ;-)