KrisS

Kris

Hi, I’m in the process of buying my first rig.

I have an A licence with only 85 jumps. I’m 90kg/198lbs and have been jumping a 210, I’m finding it difficult to find a new full rig in stock with that size of canopy, I’m wondering if 190 would be a big jump for me?

Also I’m wondering if a 2nd hand 210 would fit in a container that comes with a 190 or if they’re exactly sized. I could probably buy the 190 complete and a 210 canopy then jump the 210 and save the 190 till I’m ready. 

Anyway I hope all that makes sense, I don’t really have a permanent drop zone for advice so any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kris

2 hours ago, KrisS said:

Hi, I’m in the process of buying my first rig.

I have an A licence with only 85 jumps. I’m 90kg/198lbs and have been jumping a 210, I’m finding it difficult to find a new full rig in stock with that size of canopy, I’m wondering if 190 would be a big jump for me?

Also I’m wondering if a 2nd hand 210 would fit in a container that comes with a 190 or if they’re exactly sized. I could probably buy the 190 complete and a 210 canopy then jump the 210 and save the 190 till I’m ready. 

Anyway I hope all that makes sense, I don’t really have a permanent drop zone for advice so any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kris

There is a FB site, UK Skydiving Gear for Sale (or something along those lines) which, if you join, will list skydiving items such as rigs and helmets etc, that come up for sale. However, before you rush into any purchase you should get proper advice. This would normally come from someone who knows you in skydiving terms, and is qualified to give that advice. For example, the instructor who trained you or the Chief Instructor at the DZ where you jump most frequently. Don't rush in to a purchase. The reason that so much quality stuff comes up for sale is that someone else did exactly that. 

How are your landings under the 210?  If you are consistently standing them up, you may be ready for a 190 right now.  Can you find one to rent/borrow for a jump or two?  

Definitely talk to instructors at your dz about it.  They see you land.  Us people out here in internet land haven't. 

You probably don't want to pack a 210 into a container sized for a 190. Generally not much fun.

Consider reserve size before you buy anything.  Smartest option for a novice jumper is to go with the same or close in size to your main.  With a 190 main, I'd go for a 193 (or equivalent) reserve. 

Look at the manufactures canopy sizing guidelines when it comes to putting a larger canopy into a container...

For example, I look at my containers chart, for the most part the maximum sized canopies are all 190s, but there are a couple 210 canopies that will work such as the low pack volume PD Pulse 210.