1 1
turtlespeed

Nothing about this is a protest. (NSFW Racial Expletives)

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Like who?

In any case, and this is my personal opinion, dressing up as a black person isn't blackface.  Blackface is a flat out racist depiction, darkening one's skin for the purposes of a costume requires the context of what that costume was for.  If you're a college bro dressed crunk, a bit racist, if you're C. Thomas Howell, not racist but that whole movie missed the point and shouldn't have existed.  Jimmy Kimmel didn't do anything racist but his girlfriend definitely did.

Have you read the transcripts of some of his flagrant use of the "n" word?

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

So, there were no black men that could have played the part? Civil Activist Paul Robeson played Othello on Broadway in 1943. At that time it was said that no white man should ever play Othello again.  

The question was "was it racist"?  Was Robeson really a better actor than Olivier?

25 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Have you read the transcripts of some of his flagrant use of the "n" word?

You're talking about his impersonation of Snoop Dogg, right?  The song from 1996?  If that's so then I don't care, that's a very contextualized use of that word and there are millions of people on the planet who have sung along to many many many rap songs using that word.  You don't get an automatic gotcha if someone does any of that.

Again, who was a conservative entertainer who's career was ended by doing this?  Meaning an honest, not deliberately racist depiction of a black person.

This is nothing more than the 100th attempt to take down someone who vocally opposes Trump.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kallend said:

The question was "was it racist"? 

Olivier was the Director - did he extend enough of an effort to find a black actor to play the role? Really don't know. IMO. If you're a great actor; can't you pull off Othello as white? For me, it's about the character, not the color of the character. 

Was Robeson really a better actor than Olivier?

That's an opinion and the fans at the time would seem to think so. 

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Was Sir Lawrence Olivier racist when he played Othello?

Maybe, maybe not - but whitewashing in cinema and TV is absolutely an example of long entrenched systemic, institutional racism that has suppressed or destroyed the career prospects of an untold number of BAME actors.

• Like 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Fixed that for you.

So you think Fox and Donald Trump Junior are motivated by bringing the truth of racial injustice to light?

Still waiting on that list of conservatives who unjustly lost their careers for doing the same thing. Edit:  By now I know you've done a search or two and aren't coming up with anything worthwhile.

Edited by DJL

10 minutes ago, DJL said:

So you think Fox and Donald Trump Junior are motivated by bringing the truth of racial injustice to light?

Still waiting on that list of conservatives who unjustly lost their careers for doing the same thing. Edit:  By now I know you've done a search or two and aren't coming up with anything worthwhile.

First of all, how does DT and DTJ tie into my correction?

Second, I didn't bother.  You were asking for something that would be impossible to prove.

I would post examples, but I would then be wrongly labeled as a racist.

16 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

First of all, how does DT and DTJ tie into my correction?

Second, I didn't bother.  You were asking for something that would be impossible to prove.

First, because it's Don Junior and Fox leading the charge on this. Second, it was YOUR statement:

[". . . And if it were a conservative entertainer - there would be no chance in hell he would ever work again on any major network. (probably not any minor ones either)  There are two standards at work here.  Its refreshing to see the more liberal leaning voices get handed their crow to eat."]

...that prompted my questions to you.  If there are two standards then where is your example of the first standard.  People have being doing this for a long time and there are many and more recently that don't get the same attention.  There are episodes of 30 Rock with people using blackface, there are versions of NWA - Straight Outta Compton performed by white people simply because it's funny to hear a coffee house version from someone like Nina Gordon.  So, if you want to talk about two standards at work then how about the false outrage towards someone outspoken like Jimmy Kimmel vs. people like Tina Fey or Nina Gordon.

33 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That doesn't even make sense. How would finding an example of a conservative entertainer forced out of the biz for wearing blackface make you a racist? Your excuse game is weaker than usual today.

How about you find the examples of black people being outraged at Kimmel? Because the story you posted references a right wing instagram account, Fox news and other white conservative sources, so it kinda seems like you're  acting the way the thread you just started with Bill Maher is telling you not to act.

24 minutes ago, jakee said:

That doesn't even make sense. How would finding an example of a conservative entertainer forced out of the biz for wearing blackface make you a racist? Your excuse game is weaker than usual today.

How about you find the examples of black people being outraged at Kimmel? Because the story you posted references a right wing instagram account, Fox news and other white conservative sources, so it kinda seems like you're  acting the way the thread you just started with Bill Maher is telling you not to act.

It would require some thinking and introspective. It would require just a tiny bit of understanding. It would be recognizing that things aren't always binary. It is a form of reasoning old white men seem to be mostly inflicted by. It is the "black guys say nigger so why can't I say nigger" argument ad nauseum.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

No need to...the fact that Jimmie fled to higher ground is telling enough.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

No need to...the fact that Jimmie fled to higher ground is telling enough.

He says he's going on holiday. But if he was chased out by a horde of angry black people it should be really easy to find the horde of angry black people.

8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

You don't understand...all of these hollywood types were hoping and praying that everyone had forgotten about this stuff.  Only when it resurfaces do they apologize.

I understand that this post is an avoidance of the question of whether you and Turtlespeed can find a number of black people that were offended by Kimmel, or if the 'outrage' is mostly coming from white conservatives - the very behaviour that Turtlespeed just mocked with Bill Maher's video.

1 minute ago, jakee said:

I understand that this post is an avoidance of the question of whether you and Turtlespeed can find a number of black people that were offended by Kimmel, or if the 'outrage' is mostly coming from white conservatives - the very behaviour that Turtlespeed just mocked with Bill Maher's video.

To whom is he apologizing?

10 hours ago, ryoder said:

Is it wrong that I still find this hilarious?

Tropic Thunder was my litmus test for whether nuance was being applied to what got pulled or if it was all a blanket approach. It's almost unique in its usage of blackface because it has it there EXPLICITLY to mock and denigrate the practice, and does so throughout the entire movie.