1 1
turtlespeed

Nothing about this is a protest. (NSFW Racial Expletives)

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Since their was video - what you say above has nothing to do with anything.

The people around should have stepped in.  I wouldn't have stood by.

Turtle, as a middle-aged white man, you might have had some effect stepping in. Probably not, but it's far less likely that anyone else would have had any effect, either. This is on the police; other scenarios are of the "are you willing to die for him" variety. I really, really, hope that our police don't require that people be willing to die to protect each other.

Wendy P.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Turtle, as a middle-aged white man, you might have had some effect stepping in. Probably not, but it's far less likely that anyone else would have had any effect, either. This is on the police; other scenarios are of the "are you willing to die for him" variety. I really, really, hope that our police don't require that people be willing to die to protect each other.

Wendy P.

I believe all that would have had to happen is someone approaching them. 

After they have to deal with the interference and the allegations of them killing the (perpetrator, or detainee, or arrestee) it would have saved his life.

I'm not exactly known for always making the right decisions with my personal safety.  I would not have stood by and let that continue if I was there.

17 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

Well, many of the bystanders were calling for the cops to let Floyd up.

A few approached, but were shoved back and threatened with pepper spray and arrest.

There were 4 cops, three of them would have been able to take care of several bystanders. If not, I have little doubt that they would have put the pepper spray away and pulled out their guns.

To think that a lone bystander could have stopped Floyd's death is pretty ridiculous.

Not surprised at all at who thinks it's possible. Or at least pretends to.

35 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

They were in the process of killing an innocent black man.   I suspect it would not have ended well to have another innocent black man approach them.

And in any case, aren't you the one always saying "just obey the cops!  Deal with the issue later!"

26 minutes ago, billvon said:

They were in the process of killing an innocent black man.   I suspect it would not have ended well to have another innocent black man approach them.

And in any case, aren't you the one always saying "just obey the cops!  Deal with the issue later!"

No - I'm for situational awareness, and standing up for what is right.

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Why on earth do you believe that? The cops all knew the guy on the ground was saying he couldn't breath and they didn't care. Why are they going to care about someone else repeating it to them?

Floyd: I can't breath! I can't breath!

You: Hey, the dude says he can't breath.

Cops: I know what he's saying, now get the fuck out of my fucking face.

Seriously man this attempt to deflect the blame onto bystanders who were in no position to intervene is some fucked up bullshit.

After they have to deal with the interference and the allegations of them killing the (perpetrator, or detainee, or arrestee) it would have saved his life.

The guy doing the killing wouldn't have had to deal with you, one of the others would have stopped you getting there. And again, remember that this would be a decision you had to make without knowing how it was going to end. Seriously - what do you think you could have said to them that they didn't already know?

I'm not exactly known for always making the right decisions with my personal safety.  I would not have stood by and let that continue if I was there.

Most people would say that applies to everyone on this forum, it's what brought us here in the first place, right? But it doesn't make any difference in situations like this. You couldn't have done anything and you wouldn't have done anything.

Edited by jakee

43 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

No - I'm for situational awareness, and standing up for what is right.

It's easy to be that certain sitting at home after the fact. Unfortunately that's not how reality works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, feuergnom said:

in the meantime footage of journalists (clearly identifying themselves as press) getting peppersprayed, beat up and shot at with rubber bullets at close distance make the round..

Clearly, his problem is that he didn't approach the cops.

2 hours ago, feuergnom said:

in the meantime footage of journalists (clearly identifying themselves as press) getting peppersprayed, beat up and shot at with rubber bullets at close distance make the round...

Somewhat tragic to have Germany voicing concerns that a country should respect the rule and law and freedom of the press. 

The USA has pretty much lost all of its facade of being the moral leader of the world

I saw a quote today; 

Maybe the next time a white police officer decides to pull the trigger he will picture the cities burning” (Lex Scott, Black Lives Matter Utah)

Given the number of people who say that (whoever) should have thought of (whatever), this is a valid statement. That attitude is one of speaking from power to a lack of power. I had t thought of the riots as Exercising the available power, but, well, what other power is there?

Wendy P. 

8 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I saw a quote today; 

Given the number of people who say that (whoever) should have thought of (whatever), this is a valid statement. That attitude is one of speaking from power to a lack of power. I had t thought of the riots as Exercising the available power, but, well, what other power is there?

Wendy P. 

When their voices are unheard, they speak in a manner that cannot be ignored.

MLK said something to the effect that 'riots are the language of the unheard.'

Unfortunately, the white (Or nonwhite) police officer generally thinks of his partner and himself first. It’s human nature in any partnership world. Think of the military, and the number of people who say their unit and buddies are most important 

Wendy P. 

5 hours ago, jakee said:

It's easy to be that certain sitting at home after the fact. Unfortunately that's not how reality works.

Alice in Wonderland thinking! 
You see cops subduing someone, your first thought is not what arsehole cops, but shit what has he done? Is he armed, on meth, violent whatever. Try and interfere and you’ll likely get arrested 

2 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Somewhat tragic to have Germany voicing concerns that a country should respect the rule and law and freedom of the press. 

The USA has pretty much lost all of its facade of being the moral leader of the world

Oh yeah, that ship left port three and a half years ago.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Alice in Wonderland thinking! 
You see cops subduing someone, your first thought is not what arsehole cops, but shit what has he done? Is he armed, on meth, violent whatever. Try and interfere and you’ll likely get arrested 

When the institutions of the state are corrupt trying to change that is like beating your head against the wall. Letters mean nothing, face to face complaints mean nothing. As an example the hierarchy of FIFA knew of corruption, outsiders were aware of it for a decade before it finally came to a head with the FBI launching an investigation.

Look what happened to Vindman  At All the President’s Whistleblowers

So Much for ‘Whistleblower’ Coverage of Epstein

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Maybe for you and yours . . .

And for you. This is real life, not a Rambo fairy tale. You wouldn't have done anything, and even if someone had tried they wouldn't have achieved anything.

Stop trying to deflect the blame away from the cops and onto the innocent bystanders. That's despicable.

17 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

When their voices are unheard, they speak in a manner that cannot be ignored.

MLK said something to the effect that 'riots are the language of the unheard.'

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK