brenthutch

US suffers through worst tornado drought in 50 years

From weather.com
May is typically the most tornadic month in the U.S., averaging 272 tornadoes each year between 1999 and 2018. But as of May 25, only 49 tornadoes had been confirmed throughout the month, according to Evan Bentley, a severe weather meteorologist at NOAA's Storm Prediction Center (SPC).”

And I thought global warming was going to make for more tornadoes.

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

From weather.com
May is typically the most tornadic month in the U.S., averaging 272 tornadoes each year between 1999 and 2018. But as of May 25, only 49 tornadoes had been confirmed throughout the month, according to Evan Bentley, a severe weather meteorologist at NOAA's Storm Prediction Center (SPC).”

Sounds like we're seeing more of the upside of climate change!  Fuck yeah!  Winning!  Anyway, I'm not familiar with that claim and had to look it up.  National Geographic says there's never been sufficient data available to make a claim that they're increasing in the long term and in the short term they appear to be decreasing as global warming disturbs the type of very specific conditions needed to create them. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/tornadoes-and-climate-change/

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

No, no, no. You have it all wrong! The warning was that global warming was going to make for more tomatoes. Not tornadoes - tomatoes. Tomatoes are really only good for pizza sauce and ketchup (maybe salsa too). Having an increase in tomatoes in this world is a plague that we cannot afford and should be prevented at all costs.That is why global warming has to be curtailed immediately.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And when you live in tornado country, and not hurricane or flood or heat-sensitive country, that's a win, right? Look on the right side of your nose, look on the left side of your nose, all good.

Wendy P.

If hurricanes and heat-sensitive areas were a problem, people would not be flocking to them. Texas, Arizona, Florida and Nevada come to mind.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

If hurricanes and heat-sensitive areas were a problem, people would not be flocking to them. Texas, Arizona, Florida and Nevada come to mind.

Boom!  Suck it, libtards!

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

One theory holds that passing trucks generate swirls that grow into tornadoes. Fewer trucks on the roads equal fewer tornadoes, during the COVID-19 shut-down. 

Goddam it Ken, you've got some explaining to do!

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yes, that's why we also don't have to worry about earth quakes at all. People live in LA after all.

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

One theory holds that passing trucks generate swirls that grow into tornadoes. Fewer trucks on the roads equal fewer tornadoes, during the COVID-19 shut-down. 

Sorry, Rob.

There are NOT fewer trucks on the road right now (or for the past three months). 

Not in the US anyway.

Freight demands are shifting around a bit, but the amount of trucks moving (and fueling, and parking at night, and loading & unloading) hasn't gone down enough to notice. 

One of the things the country really needs is the trucks to move and deliver freight. It would take only a few days for food, fuel and other essentials to run out if the trucks stopped moving. That would be 'bad'.

I have been rather well assured that Ron's "SHTF" is not imminent, mainly because it isn't any easier to find a place to park at night, or any quicker in & out of the places I pick up and deliver to. 
Trucks are moving, freight is being delivered, supplies are getting where they need to be (sorry Ron).

But it was fun. Of course it was silly -- that was the whole point of the original post.

But it's interesting what Gowlerk said, too -- I wonder if the traffic has changed, but not decreased, because of the pandemic. 

Wendy P.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Yes, that's why we also don't have to worry about earth quakes at all. People live in LA after all.

You can worry about them all you wish, there is just nothing you can do about it.  Sort of like hurricanes and heat waves. 

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Sorry, Rob.

There are NOT fewer trucks on the road right now (or for the past three months). 

Not in the US anyway.

Freight demands are shifting around a bit, but the amount of trucks moving (and fueling, and parking at night, and loading & unloading) hasn't gone down enough to notice. 

One of the things the country really needs is the trucks to move and deliver freight. It would take only a few days for food, fuel and other essentials to run out if the trucks stopped moving. That would be 'bad'.

I have been rather well assured that Ron's "SHTF" is not imminent, mainly because it isn't any easier to find a place to park at night, or any quicker in & out of the places I pick up and deliver to. 
Trucks are moving, freight is being delivered, supplies are getting where they need to be (sorry Ron).

Another Commie Tornado causer. For shame, Joe.

I think so. He's part of a DZ up in Canukistan that's sorta like a commune. Everybody owns it, but nobody owns anything specific. He puts in work, but doesn't get paid, and he doesn't have to pay for his jumps...

All that sort of 'from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs' manifesto kind of stuff.

Scary.

My God. We REALLY need a 'sarcasm' font. 

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No less credible than AGW theory, I like it.

Hi Brent,

Since you are back to posting, how about this?

'Just so we can understand you, do you mean 'at' during the actual event; such as within the first 5 minutes, first 5 hours, first 5 days, first 5 years?'

Jerry Baumchen

8 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

Since you are back to posting, how about this?

'Just so we can understand you, do you mean 'at' during the actual event; such as within the first 5 minutes, first 5 hours, first 5 days, first 5 years?'

Jerry Baumchen

By "at" I mean, at the location, as in the accident victim died at the scene.  Using Kallend's logic, if I were to be hit and killed by a truck on my way to the doctors office to get a flu vaccine, I would have been killed by the vaccine.  Because if not for the vaccine, I never would have made the trip and would still be alive.