xlh883

Couldn't do AFF-1

Well, I was all ready to go to do my AFF Level 1 this morning but it didn't work out. It took so long to get to 12500 AGL, and by the time we got there I had dry mouth really bad and felt kinda sick. My hands were shaking really bad to. One of the jumpmasters said my lips were a little blue also so I may have had a touch of hypoxia.

After a 2 year lay off from S/L jumping, I don't think I was ready for the excitement yet. I should have done a tandem first.

I took about an hour or so to try to decide what to do and I decided to go ahead and do a tandem, which I did do. I forced myself to do it because I had to know I could still jump out of a perfectly good airplane. I had the dry mouth really bad again but didn't feel sick, just extra nervous.

It was hard for me to go. I closed my eyes until the J/M touched me on the shoulder. He said I arched pretty well and he let me do my COA's and pull the ripcord. Unfortunately, he had the harness so tight on me, I was very uncomfortable and had a hard time feeling good about the canopy flight. It took me a minute or two to get my bearings, but I was able to fly the canopy most of the way and recover from it.

I am still sure I can be a good skydiver, it may just take me a little longer to do it.

Also, with advice of my J/M, I am going to Perris Valley Sunday for some wind tunnel training to boost my confidence a little. I imagine I will be back at the local DZ for AFF-1 by Monday. I just wish I hadn't lost $300 for going with my gut and not jumping. I know I did the right thing, it still hurts the wallet and may cost me more time. My J/M said the wind tunnel training should save me some money over the long run. I sure hope so.

I am positive I am not the only person this has happened to, but I wanted to share my experiences with others.

Regardless of what happens, I have to do this AFF-1 jump soon. I feel like this is something I have to do in my life. I want it very bad. The good things in life are worth working hard for. After 3 tandems and 11 S/L jumps 2 years ago and the tandem today, I should be able to do it.

David

I had around 15 jumps on the SL system before switching over to AFF after a couple years off. I also did some tunnel training prior to AFF and found that to be extremely helpful.

You'll get back into the grove of it once you get past your first AFF jump.

There is no need to feel like you "have to" do anything until you are comfortable doing it. The cost of the tandem is nothing in comparison with the confidence to get out the door yourself. It didn't feel right for a reason. You were not ready! I still get dried out while I'm jumping. Maybe it's the adrenalin!

Everyone has their own pace. Move at yours!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

http://www.myspace.com/jump_land_pack_repeat

Gee, your tandem cost $300? Or did you have to pay for the whole AFF1 jump even tho' you didn't actually jump?

The tunnel will help you sooo much. And you're right--- it'll also help your confidence a great deal.

As for dry mouth, I found two things that help that: I breathe with my mouth closed on the way up. (You'd be surprised how much that helps! ;)) And, I take spray candy--the kind sweetened with fruit juice instead of refined sugar (or breath spray will work too) up with me. YUM!
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I did a tandem instead of the AFF-1.

OK, Great. That actually goes in the logbook as a skydive. You got to feel the air. Now, let's move forward to being a solo skydiver. Whaddaya still reading this for? Get on with it. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Well, I lost the $199 for the AFF-1 and the $99 fo the video and had to pay $229 for the tandem. If the tandem hadn;t worked, I would have quit.

I am going on a motorcycle ride today to get my mind off the situation and will do the wind tunnel tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the great ideas on the helping the mouth dryness. I will give those a try. Gum might work to.

David

I am going on a motorcycle ride today to get my mind off the situation and will do the wind tunnel tomorrow morning.

Have fun at the tunnel, that is if you dont die on your morotcycle, they are dangerous.