kallend

‘Jane Roe’ Says Turn to Anti-Abortion Activism Was ‘All an Act’

Norma McCorvey, the woman who was referred to as “Jane Roe” in the Supreme Court case that led to the legalization of abortions in all 50 states, says in a documentary to be released on Friday that she faked her subsequent turn to pro-life activism.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/jane-roe-says-turn-to-anti-abortion-activism-was-all-an-act-in-new-documentary/

“I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say,” McCorvey adds. In the documentary, Sweeney finds that McCorvey received at least $456,911 in “benevolent gifts” to McCorvey from pro-life figures.

21 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Phil seems a bit upset.  It must have struck a chord (get it?) with Dr. John.

Too funny. Actually I was out working in the hot sun, a frustrating lack of accomplishment and distractions were all in the equation.

42 minutes ago, BIGUN said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Easier than lying about being gang raped by a group of black men.

That is just wrong on so many levels. 

Maybe I am.  Wiki said she admittedly lied about being raped by a group of black men.  Is that not true?

Consider the person, the time, and the place. She was a troubled youngster in a troubled situation -- the happiest times she remembered were apparently the time she spent in the youth home (also according to Wikipedia). She wanted an abortion, and that seemed (to her 21-year-old, not-well-raised self) to be one way to get it legally. Didn't work. 

Again based on other stuff I've read, as well as Wiki, she's the kind of person who always wanted to have a family to belong to, but she wanted them to want her as much as she wanted to have one. I've had a couple of friends like that -- hugely nourished by finding religious communities, when they'd been unmoored much of their lives. 

Only when you find out that the answers that are provided don't fit all the questions you have, you have to re-evaluate. Sometimes that means tossing away what came before, sometimes it means redefining the problems, spinning the "answers," or simply accepting that nothing can answer everything, and that the community is more than its ability to answer all questions and problems. 

So she's an authority on herself; she may have been making a deathbed confession, or she may just have been sniping back at a perceived lack of support when she felt she needed it. Either way, her life as it was lived is her legacy -- both the abortion ruling, and her fight against it. 

Damn I can get wordy. But most people have situations that are too complex to make facile one-line judgments valid, unless they're very tightly delineated.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Consider the person, the time, and the place. She was a troubled youngster in a troubled situation -- the happiest times she remembered were apparently the time she spent in the youth home (also according to Wikipedia). She wanted an abortion, and that seemed (to her 21-year-old, not-well-raised self) to be one way to get it legally. Didn't work. 

Again based on other stuff I've read, as well as Wiki, she's the kind of person who always wanted to have a family to belong to, but she wanted them to want her as much as she wanted to have one. I've had a couple of friends like that -- hugely nourished by finding religious communities, when they'd been unmoored much of their lives. 

Only when you find out that the answers that are provided don't fit all the questions you have, you have to re-evaluate. Sometimes that means tossing away what came before, sometimes it means redefining the problems, spinning the "answers," or simply accepting that nothing can answer everything, and that the community is more than its ability to answer all questions and problems. 

So she's an authority on herself; she may have been making a deathbed confession, or she may just have been sniping back at a perceived lack of support when she felt she needed it. Either way, her life as it was lived is her legacy -- both the abortion ruling, and her fight against it. 

Damn I can get wordy. But most people have situations that are too complex to make facile one-line judgments valid, unless they're very tightly delineated.

Wendy P.

Plus we don't get to, or shouldn't, make those judgements on other's lives and how they live them. Their life, their body, their experience, their decisions.

11 hours ago, Coreece said:

Maybe I am.  Wiki said she admittedly lied about being raped by a group of black men.  Is that not true?

Look, Brother. Her life was filled with lies to her, about her, around her, for a cause, for another cause, etc.Those lies all became so compounded that I'm not sure anyone knew the "truth" including her.

25 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Look, Brother. Her life was filled with lies to her, about her, around her, for a cause, for another cause, etc.Those lies all became so compounded that I'm not sure anyone knew the "truth" including her.

The SCOTUS decision on Roe v Wade did not hinge on her particular circumstances or depend on whether or not she was a liar.  It recognized rights of ALL women.

The Pro-Lifers use (ab-use) of her to attack R v W is dependent on her truthfulness, which turns out to be questionable.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

The Pro-Lifers use (ab-use) of her to attack R v W is dependent on her truthfulness, which turns out to be questionable

There's plenty of blame to go around. [Page 30] 

The evidence reads -

Good morning. My name is Norma McCorvey. I'm sorry to admit that I'm the Jane Roe of Roe v Wade. The affidavit submitted to the Supreme Court didn't happen the way I said it did, pure and simple. I lied! Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffey needed an extreme case to make their client look pitiable. Rape seemed to be the ticket. What made rape even worse? A gang rape! It all started out as a little lie, but my little lie grew and became more horrible with each telling.

Not only did I lie, but I was lied to. I did not come to the Supreme Court on behalf of a class of women.

I wasn't pursuing any legal remedy for my unwanted pregnancy. I did not go to the Federal Courts for relief. I met Sarah Weddington to find out how I could obtain an abortion. She and Linda Coffey said they didn't know where to get one. Sarah already had an abortion but she lied to me just like I lied to her! She knew where to get one, obviously, but I was of no use to her unless I was pregnant. Sarah and Linda were looking for somebody, anybody, to use to further their own agenda. I was their most willing dupe. Since all these lies succeeded in dismantling every state's protection of the unborn child, I think it's fair to say that the entire abortion industry is based on a lie.

Hon E.R.J. Dermer: It is certainly a denial of the truth. 

C0520006.PDF

14 hours ago, Coreece said:

It shouldn't matter why she wants an abortion. It is none of anyone's business. So it just completely sucks that she felt the need to lie. It also completely sucks that she felt the best way to gain sympathy was to claim to have been raped by black men. That says something deeply disturbing about the society she was trying to survive in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It shouldn't matter why she wants an abortion. It is none of anyone's business. So it just completely sucks that she felt the need to lie. It also completely sucks that she felt the best way to gain sympathy was to claim to have been raped by black men. That says something deeply disturbing about the society she was trying to survive in.

^This.

And if it hadn't been her, it would have been someone else. 

"The winds of change, they were a blowin'"

I find it absolutely hilarious how many of the alt-right 'open up' protesters were using the 'my body, my choice' arguement. 

Even more so that the act of breaking quarantine will affect a lot more people than just them. But, of course, they don't care about anyone else (there were signs that said "My Rights Are More Important Than Your Health - really).

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I find it absolutely hilarious how many of the alt-right 'open up' protesters were using the 'my body, my choice' arguement. 

I've heard "we used their own words against them" as the official reason for it. So they think they're being cute. 

That's what they get for thinking.

I was starting college right around then, in Texas. In my (women's dorm) freshman handbook, they did make it clear that the closest place to go for an abortion was New York at that time, and we definitely noticed when the Roe V. Wade decision came down. In those days, it was OK to have had an abortion; not awesome, nothing to be proud of, just something like a surgery. It took awhile for it to become seriously politicized, and even longer for it to be an absolute litmus test. I went to our local Republican convention in 1984 in the south of Houston, and abortion was actually on the local platform, not an absolute given. 

Wendy P.

(edited)

Dear Gowlerk,

Surely you remember how different the early 196os were from today.

I grew up in a small, conservative, college town a 3-hour drive from Montreal (then the biggest city in Canada).

Living-in-sin was … a sin against God. Divorce was frowned upon. Priests encouraged women to return to their abusive husbands. Single mothers were frowned upon. Abortions were definitely illegal. If an un-married woman got pregnant, she had to sneak a ride to Montreal for a back-room abortion. Complications from botched abortions killed too many women.

Dr. Henry Mortganthaller was jailed repeatedly before abortion was de-criminalized.

If a woman needed an abortion, she needed an alibi. Blame the blacks, ukranians, gypsies, polacks, migrant farm workers, sailors, etc. who left town yesterday. Heaven forbid that she admit to voluntary sex with a local teenaged boy!

Fortunately, abortions are radically different during this century. My good buddy: J.P. Forest (retired military police) guarded Dr. Romalis - the busiest abortionist in Vancouver - for 6 years. The doctor survived a stabbing and a rifle shot to the leg. Sometimes, J.P. even "scrubbed in" to the operating theatre. He reported that the bulk of abortions were performed on married women who already had children. The primary motivation for abortion was malformed fetus.

The last time a federal Conservative politician suggested re-opening the debate on abortion, I told him that boat sailed 50 years ago. I also told him that if he wasted Parliament's time re-opening the debate, I would wonder what other mischief he was doing outside of Parliament. 

Edited by riggerrob
add name

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

I went to our local Republican convention in 1984 in the south of Houston, and abortion was actually on the local platform, not an absolute given. 

One of the odd things about this radical polarization that's happened over the past 20 years is that things are being put in platforms purely to oppose the "other guy."

Renewable distributed energy?  You'd think that would be a GOP plank - "say no to socialized power!  Independence!"  But since the democrats support it, the GOP feels they must oppose it, or else they "lose."

Immigration?  You'd think that again both sides would support it.  But again because the democrats support immigration the GOP feels it has to oppose it very visibly, lest they "lose" that competition.

9 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Abortions were definitely illegal. If an un-married woman got pregnant, she had to sneak a ride to Montreal for a back-room abortion. Complications from botched abortions killed too many women.

Dr. Henry Mortganthaller was jailed repeatedly before abortion was de-criminalized.

Until Dr. Morgentaler opened a clinic in Winnpeg, girls looking for an abortion went over the border to Grand Forks ND for the procedure.