brenthutch

Take the Red Pill

(edited)
2 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I’m sure back in the day that was the argument against moving away from horses. You could only get gas at limited places, food was readily available and cars were for the rich.

The outcry and push back of electric start and losing the hand crank or the kicker.

What will we ever do when the battery dies?

Edited by normiss

3 hours ago, normiss said:

There are a number of free charging stations around. Have some lunch, read the paper, charge your car.

But you deserved the face palm. Have another.

I'm not sure exactly what he has been typing into this forum lately. But I'm guessing that he is pumping out enough hot gasses to at least power a moped for a few miles!

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yes and the poor and working class have super chargers in their garage. (Face palm) 

More working class have outlets than gas pumps in their garage.  Might want to get out occasionally and see how other people live.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billvon said:

More working class have outlets than gas pumps in their garage.  Might want to get out occasionally and see how other people live.

The people that I know that own electric cars simply plug them into a 110 outlet (standard household current) when they get home. Generally the cars fully charge overnight. 
Except for a few special occasions, that charge is easily enough to get them through the day. 

They tout the time saved not having to go to a gas station as an advantage (not having to get out of the car and stand out in the cold in the winter is nice too).

I've heard that about America now, electrification, in almost every home. A person could refuel their battery, go to work and back. Never risking C-19 by having to go to a gas station again.

Pump handles and keypads can be contaminated, so take precautions to avoid exposure

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_the_United_States

98% of Americans drive what I drive, only 2% drive what you drive. Might want to get out occasionally and see how other people live.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The people that I know that own electric cars simply plug them into a 110 outlet (standard household current) when they get home. Generally the cars fully charge overnight. 
Except for a few special occasions, that charge is easily enough to get them through the day. 

They tout the time saved not having to go to a gas station as an advantage (not having to get out of the car and stand out in the cold in the winter is nice too).

Add to that the significant reduction in fuel and maintenance costs. EV's have shown to be very efficient on the owner's pockets.

14 hours ago, normiss said:

30 minutes on a super charger

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yes and the poor and working class have super chargers in their garage. (Face palm) 

You don't need a supercharger in your garage.  And you know you don't have to sit there and watch it charge overnight, right?  Even you have to admit that the idea of very rarely having to go to a charge/gas station is amazingly convenient and considering most people have a very regular and low mileage commute that makes this an outstandingly cheap investment.  I watch those lower end used EV's since it's what I'm buying next.  The older ones (5 years) have an 80 mile range worse case, the newer ones are 150 to 250 miles best case.  As soon as I see one for the right price that gets me to the DZ with 30% extra range I'll pick it up.

Now as far as your "toys for rich boys" argument, that's a big factor of what paved the way for EV usage.  Tax dollars well spent for what is now a thriving economy sector.  

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_the_United_States

98% of Americans drive what I drive, only 2% drive what you drive. Might want to get out occasionally and see how other people live.

I'm sure they compared cars with horse drawn buggies in that way 120 years ago.

Not many wheelwrights left in 2020.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

98% of Americans drive what I drive, only 2% drive what you drive. 

Yep.  Same was true of horses circa 1916.  98% of Americans used horse drawn buggies, only 2% used the dangerous, impractical and uber-expensive "automobiles."  People were rioting in the streets over the dangers those rich-person playthings posed.  You'd fit right in.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Same was true of horses circa 1916.  98% of Americans used horse drawn buggies, only 2% used the dangerous, impractical and uber-expensive "automobiles."  People were rioting in the streets over the dangers those rich-person playthings posed.  You'd fit right in.

I have already conceded that we will all be driving EVs in a hundred and twenty years. (just to be clear, that is 120 years NOT 20)

On 5/20/2020 at 1:05 PM, brenthutch said:

I was referring to the folks that can only afford a modestly priced used car.  Tesla subsidies don't help them but low gas prices do.  If you were to stick it to the oil and gas companies, they would just pass the cost on to the consumer, which would disproportionately hurt the poor and working class.  

Brent Hutch, the Ghandi of Mifflin County, Pennsyltuckey.

9 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

What is the cost of battery replacement for EVs?

There is a reason why Brent sidestepped the higher resale values of EV as compared to conventional vehicles. As the miles mount the repair costs are disproportionately higher for conventional vehicles.

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

There is a reason why Brent sidestepped the higher resale values of EV as compared to conventional vehicles. As the miles mount the repair costs are disproportionately higher for conventional vehicles.

I didn’t sidestep anything.  The fact of the matter is that EVs will remain nothing more than a niche curiosity for the foreseeable future.  If they were as good as you guys claim, there would be mass adaptation overnight, but they are not, so I am right, you are wrong.  Sorry (not sorry) to harsh your green buzz.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

If they were as good as you guys claim, there would be mass adaptation overnight, 

Hi Brent,

I feel that they are as good as anything that I might have claimed about them.  For the majority of the driving that we do, they are very good.

The problem IMO with the 'mass adaptation overnight' is that some folks do not understand them and the infrastructure ( more charging stations & fast charging stations ) is just not there yet.

It took a lot of time for the gas-powered auto to become what it is today.  I think electrics will get there faster.

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I didn’t sidestep anything.  The fact of the matter is that EVs will remain nothing more than a niche curiosity for the foreseeable future.  If they were as good as you guys claim, there would be mass adaptation overnight, but they are not, so I am right, you are wrong.  Sorry (not sorry) to harsh your green buzz.

You’ve never been involved in product development have you?  Honestly if you’ve got any intellectual curiosity research virtually every major technology. Cellphones, colour tv, radio, video, CD’s and look at how long they took to get widespread adoption

(edited)
4 hours ago, nigel99 said:

if you’ve got any intellectual curiosity

:rofl: this is brenthutch you're talking about right? This basically sums up why he keeps trolling:

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

so I am right, you are wrong

He is not interested in any pesky facts, or logical arguments. It's just the same thing, over and over. He just desperately needs to say that he's right and others are wrong.

Edited by olofscience

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

I feel that they are as good as anything that I might have claimed about them.  For the majority of the driving that we do, they are very good.

The problem IMO with the 'mass adaptation overnight' is that some folks do not understand them and the infrastructure ( more charging stations & fast charging stations ) is just not there yet.

It took a lot of time for the gas-powered auto to become what it is today.  I think electrics will get there faster.

Jerry Baumchen

As long as the American public prefer big trucks and SUVs, EVs will never replace ICE vehicles.  When they make one that can accommodate five people, their luggage, a big dog and tow a camper 400 miles that might change.

6 minutes ago, olofscience said:

:rofl: this is brenthutch you're talking about right? This basically sums up why he keeps trolling:

He is not interested in any pesky facts

The pesky fact is that EVs, account for 2% of car sales.  That is not trolling, that is just stating reality.

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

As long as the American public prefer big trucks and SUVs, EVs will never replace ICE vehicles.  When they make one that can accommodate five people, their luggage, a big dog and tow a camper 400 miles that might change.

I’ve seen America change. You didn’t get European size ‘small’ rental cars back in 2000, by 2016 Toyota corollas are quite common. 
As I say, look at product development. Everyone said cellphones were rich men’s toys and would not gain wide adoption. With every technology there are early adopters who take the risk. Eventually the majority adopt the tech and then finally the laggards and conservative people shift across. My dad still has an old Nokia and says smartphones are shit. I imagine when 90% of the USA are in electric vehicles you’ll be in a Ford F250

(edited)
10 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

"Electric Vehicles first appeared in the mid-19th century. An electric vehicle held the vehicular land speed record until around 1900. The high cost, low top speed, and short range of battery electric vehicles compared to later internal combustion engine vehicles, led to a worldwide decline in their use"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle

So given that, I'm not sure how they can get there faster. . .unless of course you're talking about the first (EV) time machine, but it's gonna have to be really fast!

Edited by Coreece