skybytch

Cell and internet out in the sticks

We live out in the sticks.  It's wonderful living out here.  In two years I've heard 7 sirens. No one parks in front of my house if they aren't invited.  I don't have to listen to other people's music or parties or dogs that won't STFU.  I can see three neighbors houses and occasionally hear their dog, but I can't see them and the dog only barks when there is a reason (and it's not 15 feet from my bedroom window either).  I hope I die here cuz I never want to live that close to people again.

But there are a few downsides.  Up to 30 minute response time for law enforcement and ambulance, 30 minutes to a hospital, high fire risk, skunks, ten minutes to groceries, gas and restaurants, really crappy medical services. 

And cell and internet service.  When we moved here, the only cell provider that we got reception from is Verizon.  Sometimes it's one bar of 4g, sometimes I can't send a text, sometimes it takes two seconds to send a picture, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes it fails. Damn near $200 a month for two lines. It's great.

The only internet that was available is satellite (we got Hughes Net). 20 gig a month high speed then throttled back to some negative number.  That's like... less than a week of reasonable speeds.  $80 a month.  It's great.

I heard a rumor that AT&T had put in a tower only 2 miles from us.  Not only cell, but also fixed wireless internet.  Very surprising considering there are less than 1000 people out here and we don't get a lot of "tourist" traffic other than Harleys.  I asked folks about it on nextdoor.  250g a month, $70. $10 for each 50 gig over that, all high speed.  Several of our neighbors have it and they are quite happy, good reception, fast speeds. 

Our contracts with Verizon and Hughes Net are up in 29 days (but who's counting).  I'm sure you can guess what I'll be doing on that day.

Thanks Obama. 

Edited by skybytch

1 hour ago, skybytch said:

And cell and internet service.  When we moved here, the only cell provider that we got reception from is Verizon.  Sometimes it's one bar of 4g, sometimes I can't send a text, sometimes it takes two seconds to send a picture, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes it fails. Damn near $200 a month for two lines. It's great.

Might want to consider a repeater.

24 minutes ago, billvon said:

Might want to consider a repeater.

We thought about that when we moved in and we should have gotten one.  But we got used to the lack of consistent cell signal fairly quickly and forgot all about the repeater.  Figured it's just one of the prices you pay to live rurally.  

tbh. I'm more excited about the internet than I am the cell.  Netflix in HD! Online gaming!  Page loads that are faster than dial up! The mind boggles.

3 minutes ago, skybytch said:

tbh. I'm more excited about the internet than I am the cell.  

They're kind of the same thing nowadays.  "Fixed wireless Internet" is basically a glorified hotspot.  You could do the same thing with a cellphone on a pole. 

30 minutes ago, billvon said:

They're kind of the same thing nowadays.  "Fixed wireless Internet" is basically a glorified hotspot.  You could do the same thing with a cellphone on a pole. 

Nobody tell my husband that.  I'll never get decent internet. ;-)  

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Aren't you worried someone will burn it down to prevent it from spreading the disease?

Not really.  We don't get many brain dead entitled suburban white women out here.  They wouldn't survive. 

Of course, I have my tin foil barrier installed around the house and all of my essential oils to keep me safe outside just in case, so no worries here, I'm good. 

• Like 2