1 1
normiss

American schools math

Should schools in America be forced to teach children Arabic Numerals as part of their curriculum?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should schools in America be forced to teach children Arabic Numerals as part of their curriculum?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, markharju said:

I took this picture in Djibouti. I doubt you'll see anything like it in Baltimore.

So you're okay with other types of misogyny like rape, as long as female genitals aren't cut.

I get it, there is a lot wrong with the ME. They have a huge problem with radicalism, ignorance and prejudice. One of the good things about renewables is that it will hasten their decline.

But you have to be against misogyny, ignorance and radicalism everywhere not just that particular area. And the most visible example of that is in the White House.

But with your blatant lie about the mosques in Edinburgh, I don't think you have much integrity anyway.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, olofscience said:

So you're okay with other types of misogyny like rape, as long as female genitals aren't cut.

I get it, there is a lot wrong with the ME. They have a huge problem with radicalism, ignorance and prejudice. One of the good things about renewables is that it will hasten their decline.

But you have to be against misogyny, ignorance and radicalism everywhere not just that particular area. And the most visible example of that is in the White House.

But with your blatant lie about the mosques in Edinburgh, I don't think you have much integrity anyway.

Just ask Ayan Ali Hirsi about all this. Go ahead - I'll wait.

I'll be blunt: the churches I saw on the Royal Mile had been converted. In the end, however, none of it matters, because sooner or later, Hadjii will get his bare shit-wiping hands on the Suitcase from Allah, and when that happens we're all fucked.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, markharju said:

heh :p Of course I knew the origin. I thought I was being clever - and you knew that I did, but you just wanted to slap me. Yes, Kallend, Algebra too. We all went through this about 15 years ago on this forum, but I'll repeat it here: there was a lot of progress in science and medicine in the islamic world until such progress was deemed "un-islamic" by islamic scholars, and although the Christian world went through something similar (can't have those uppity plebs learning too much), the West came out of it but the islamic world never did. The ME was nothing before the oil wealth and when it's gone, all their shiny buildings will crumble, and the ME will go back to nothing. They (the ME countries) don't build anything, and aside from the oil, their main export is islamo-fascism. They have absolutely nothing that anyone could possibly want (name something, please. Go ahead. I'll wait. Dates, perhaps. Oh, and rugs. Gotta have them rugs). With a few notable exceptions, the ME is a hotbed of ignorance, radicalism, misogyny and misanthropy. Although having spent over five years there, I don't miss it in the slightest (edit to answer your next question: why was I there? If it weren't for the big bucks I was getting, I would never have gone. I'm glad I did because I learned a lot about the Arab/Islamic world from having lived in it for so long, and although some of my long-held ignorant beliefs about the cultures and peoples were blown away, especially by befriending the natives, some of those beliefs [read: biases and prejudices] were strongly reinforced by firsthand experiences which I will not relate here). This thread began over the "gotcha" about Arabic numbers, and although there have been a few notable and important Arab/Islamic scientists in recent times, please tell me, what have they contributed to Mankind since their so-called "golden age", besides misery, poverty and death?

I now know one major product at least some people want from the ME: their money.

Other than that: citrus, gold, aluminum, electronics, computer and networking equipment, weapons, software, apparel, food, cars, figs, strawberries, diamonds, pharmaceuticals, tools, opiates, and yes  oil.

10 minutes ago, normiss said:

I now know one major product at least some people want from the ME: their money.

It's why I was there. Got me some.

35 minutes ago, markharju said:

I'll be blunt: the churches I saw on the Royal Mile had been converted.

But that wasn't what you said. So you were lying?

36 minutes ago, markharju said:

In the end, however, none of it matters, because sooner or later, Hadjii will get his bare shit-wiping hands on the Suitcase from Allah, and when that happens we're all fucked.

Okayyyy...you should probably take your meds, and try not to shoot up any mosques like that guy in New Zealand did. Remember to smile for the surveillance cameras!

2 hours ago, markharju said:

I'll answer your question with a question: why is it okay for your country to place restrictions on mosques, but not mine? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/29/switzerland-bans-mosque-minarets

Your question is founded on a faulty premise. If you care to search for it you might be able to find a thread on that very topic when it happened, and you'll see my opinion that a) it's not ok and b) being able to subject anyone's rights, religious or otherwise, to a simple public majority vote is not ok. I'm also not from Switzerland and I don't live there.

Now your turn, how about you answer my question with an answer? What was the deal with you and Edinburgh?

1 hour ago, markharju said:

I'll be blunt: the churches I saw on the Royal Mile had been converted. 

So you are a bit touched?:rofl:

And far as I can tell there is one Mosque in the vicinity of the Royal Mile that looks like it is housed in what was once a church, and there are at least 8 active churches including the utterly unmissable humungous Cathedral slap bang in the middle of it.

So again, what was your basis for claiming that you had personally seen that there were no churches left in Edinburgh?

And follow up now, so there's one mosque that used to be a church - why did you demand that there be outrage at that? If there weren't enough people who wanted to go to church to keep it open in a competitive market, but there were enough people who wanted a mosque to take over the site... what's your problem with that?

I took this picture in Djibouti. I doubt you'll see anything like it in Baltimore, but you likely will in Minneapolis soon.

No, but you will see it in other Christian countries.

Just now, jakee said:

So you are a bit touched?:rofl:

And far as I can tell there is one Mosque in the vicinity of the Royal Mile that looks like it is housed in what was once a church, and there are at least 8 active churches including the utterly unmissable humungous Cathedral slap bang in the middle of it.

So again, what was your basis for claiming that you had personally seen that there were no churches left in Edinburgh?

And follow up now, so there's one mosque that used to be a church - why did you demand that there be outrage at that? If there weren't enough people who wanted to go to church to keep it open in a competitive market, but there were enough people who wanted a mosque to take over the site... what's your problem with that?

Because of this: "The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers." Turkish Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. I didn't see a church, I saw the vanguard of an advancing army, hell-bent on destroying Western civilization.

(edited)
1 hour ago, olofscience said:

But that wasn't what you said. So you were lying?

Okayyyy...you should probably take your meds, and try not to shoot up any mosques like that guy in New Zealand did. Remember to smile for the surveillance cameras!

You're coming very close to a personal attack with this remark. Needless and uncalled for.

Edited by Guest

Because of this: "The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers." Turkish Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. I didn't see a church, I saw the vanguard of an advancing army, hell-bent on destroying Western civilization.

So, because a Turkish populist said it, it must be true? Would you believe any quote about Christianity I could find? So to sum up, we should be outraged that there is even one mosque in Edinburgh because all muslims are part of a hostile invading army because the Turkish PM said so? That's your official position?

OK, that's the follow up dealt with - still leaves the main question though - why did you lie about having seen every church in Edinburgh turned into a Mosque? What possessed you to say something so blatantly ludicrous?

I didn't see a church, I saw the vanguard of an advancing army, hell-bent on destroying Western civilization.

You sound exactly like a jihadi. That's what they want too - a war between Christianity and Islam.

More worryingly, you sound like the New Zealand shooter. In his manifesto he said:

“to show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands, our homelands are our own and that, as long as a white man still lives, they will NEVER conquer our lands”

He then proceeded to kill 50 innocent people.

You're coming very close to a personal attack with this remark. Needless and uncalled for.

Your ethnic slurs were needless and uncalled for.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

You sound exactly like a jihadi. That's what they want too - a war between Christianity and Islam.

More worryingly, you sound like the New Zealand shooter. In his manifesto he said:

He then proceeded to kill 50 innocent people.

Your ethnic slurs were needless and uncalled for.

Excuse me, but show me where the ethnicity is. A death cult, as onerous as it is, is not an ethnicity.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, markharju said:

I didn't see a church, I saw the vanguard of an advancing army, hell-bent on destroying Western civilization.

And Muslims see a Western civilization that wants them all dead.  Because of people like you.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, olofscience said:

sure.

Is that not a ethnic slur?

No, but I cannot help it if you choose to perceive it as such. Show me the ethnicity. Since when is a death cult an ethnicity? I understand that these two are easily conflated in the weak-minded. Go ahead. I'll wait. and you can watch this in the meantime.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, markharju said:

No, but I cannot help it if you choose to perceive it as such.

Then why do you see "take your meds" as coming close to a personal attack? You chose to perceive it as such.

5 minutes ago, markharju said:

I understand that these two are easily conflated in the weak-minded.

Illusions of strength, getting a bit more concerning.

6 minutes ago, markharju said:

I'll wait.

Good, keep waiting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markharju said:

I'll answer your question with a question: 

Hey dude - just a reminder that I answered your question completely at the first time of asking - when are you going to answer the question why you told such an absurd lie about personally seeing all the churches in Edinburgh converted into mosques when you only saw one?

43 minutes ago, markharju said:

No, but I cannot help it if you choose to perceive it as such. Show me the ethnicity. Since when is a death cult an ethnicity? I understand that these two are easily conflated in the weak-minded. Go ahead. I'll wait. 

I was going to say I'll do you a favour before you dig yourself in too deep, but I see you were too eager to make yourself look silly again. So here it is anyway - you don't know what ethnicity means. Whether that in turn means you have a weak mind, I'll leave to you to decide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group

Depending on which source of group identity is emphasized to define membership, the following types of (often mutually overlapping) groups can be identified:

Ethno-linguistic, emphasizing shared language, dialect (and possibly script) – example: French Canadians

Ethno-national, emphasizing a shared polity or sense of national identity – example: Austrians

Ethno-racial, emphasizing shared physical appearance based on genetic origins – example: African Americans

Ethno-regional, emphasizing a distinct local sense of belonging stemming from relative geographic isolation – example: South Islanders of New Zealand

Ethno-religious, emphasizing shared affiliation with a particular religion, denomination or sect – example: Jews

(edited)
44 minutes ago, jakee said:

Ethno-religious, emphasizing shared affiliation with a particular religion, denomination or sect – example: Jews

How convenient. Disagree in this case. islam is a militant political movement and a death-cult, but unlike Judaism, I'm not seeing anything that classifies it as an ethnicity. If this is so, how can Europids (such as Kosovars [who are demographically 90% moslem, by the way]) magically be "ethnic" moslems? They can't, because there is no such thing. They are ethnically Euro-Caucasians with a vestige of Ottoman influence in their culture which is slowly dying out. Only Jews can be Jews because that is a cultural identity as well as a religion. There may be those who convert to Judaism but that doesn't make them ethnic Jews. It makes them Goyim. Islam is a cult, not an ethnic makeup. Try AGAIN.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, markharju said:

How convenient. 

Yes, you are making it quite clear that fact and reality is inconvenient to your worldview.

Disagree in this case. islam is a militant political movement and a death-cult, but unlike Judaism, I'm not seeing anything that classifies it as an ethnicity. If this is so, how can Europids (such as Kosovars [who are demographically 90% moslem, by the way]) magically be "ethnic" moslems? They can't, because there is no such thing. They are ethnically Euro-Caucasians with a vestige of Ottoman influence in their culture which is slowly dying out. Only Jews can be Jews because that is a cultural identity as well as a religion. There may be those who convert to Judaism but that doesn't make them ethnic Jews. It makes them Goyim. Islam is a cult, not an ethnic makeup. Try AGAIN.

Again, you don't see it because you dont know what ethnicity is. An ethnic group does not have to be based on shared ancestry, genetics, place of birth or nationality. Like I said, I tried to stop you before you dug too deep but you're just too damn stubborn.

Now for real, time for you to man up and explain why you lied about all the churches in Edinburgh. 

• Like 1

How convenient. Disagree in this case. islam may be a political movement and a death-cult, but unlike Judaism, I'm not seeing anything that classifies it as an ethnicity.

Other than the definition of "ethnicity" that is.

Some simpler definitions of "ethnicity" for you that have fewer words:

The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.  (Religions qualify.)
A social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.  
A sense of common ancestry based on cultural attachments, past linguistic heritage, religious affiliations, claimed kinship, or some physical traits.

You may not like the definition of ethnicity.  That doesn't mean you can create your own meanings based on your biases.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, jakee said:

Yes, you are making it quite clear that fact and reality is inconvenient to your worldview.

Again, you don't see it because you dont know what ethnicity is. An ethnic group does not have to be based on shared ancestry, genetics, place of birth or nationality. Like I said, I tried to stop you before you dug too deep but you're just too damn stubborn.

In other words, ethnicity is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps we just see it differently. Like communism, I see islam as inherently evil, bringing nothing but death and suffering to mankind. It seems to me that those who are so quick to stomp on Christianity are simultaneously  demanding tolerance for the most intolerant cult of them all all. When they get the Suitcase from Allah and use it (and they will one day), don't say you weren't warned. "Islam in a man is as rabies in a dog." -- Winston Churchill. Is there such as thing as an "Ethnic Christian?" Not seeing that either. My misperception at work again??? As for the rest....banana pancakes...mmmm....

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, markharju said:

In other words, ethnicity is in the eye of the beholder. 

More or less. A lot of this stuff doesn't work the way people think it does - for instance did you know that a race was first defined as people who spoe the same language, therefore the first recorded racism was English people hating the French? In any event, he was right, you used an ethnic slur.

Perhaps we just see it differently. Like communism, I see islam as inherently evil, bringing nothing but death and suffering to mankind. It seems to me that those who are so quick to stomp on Christianity are simultaneously  demanding tolerance for the most intolerant cult of them all all. 

Sure, but it's just your bigotry that makes it seem that way to you. Those you see as 'stomping' on Christianity - are they demanding outrage every time they see a church like you do with Mosques? Nope. 

As for the rest....banana pancakes...mmmm....

In the other thread you just posted a list of ways that an enemy behaves. Why are you using it as an instruction manual? You've just hit points 12, 13 and 14 all in one sentence. Seriously, why can't you give a straight answer? Are you that embarrassed?

• Like 1