1 1
Phil1111

1 in 4 Americans says they would refuse COVID-19 vaccine, poll says

"when asked about the likelihood of agreeing to get a safe and effective vaccine, the new survey shows some skepticism about being inoculated. One-quarter of Americans said they were not likely to get vaccinated, even if a safe and effective vaccine was developed."

It sounds as if Darwin will get a good crack at America. Surprisingly equally distributed across both tribes!

I don't get the flu shot, because my normal immune system kills off almost anything the world throws at me - I've had a handful of colds in the last decade, the flu maybe twice across the last two decades. I'm still pretty sure I'll take the vaccine for this when it's ready.

(edited)

Rox makes me get the injection every year.  Also got the pneumonia vaccine.  Considering the shingles vaccine (but it's expensive).

Absolutely no chance I would miss a Covid-19 vaccine.

Edited by airdvr

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Considering the shingles vaccine (but it's expensive).

Get the shingles vaccine. Shingles can lead to a condition that will make you feel your life is not worth living. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you.

(edited)

That's fine, a shorter line for me then. Stupid people are stupid. None of this is new news. Based on recent Facebook posts, it seems half the people out there think Covid is all bullshit and nothing more than a flu anyway so it's not like we're dealing with intelligent, well-informed people here anyway.

Edited by Westerly

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I didn’t get the flu vaccine for 35 years. Now I do, and I’ll for darn sure get a covid vaccine — as part of the second wave. I wouldn’t buy a brand new model of AAD, either. 
Wendy P. 

Same here.  I have never had flu. Not even during the "Asian" and "Hong Kong" epidemics before vaccines came out.

My wife the MD tells me that the immune system is not as effective in old geezers, so for the past 3 years I've been getting the flu shot anyway.

Covid-19 is not influenza, however, so I shall get the vaccine assuming I survive until it becomes available. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I didn’t get the flu vaccine for 35 years. Now I do, and I’ll for darn sure get a covid vaccine — as part of the second wave.

I figure I will get it one way or another - a vaccine strain or the real thing.  Might as well be the vaccine strain.

I had a reaction to a flu shot 10-12 years ago, so I haven't had one since.  Facial edema, to the point I could see my cheeks puffing out under my eyes when looking straight ahead.  Now that I am officially an old geezer, I may resume next fall.   I like to travel, so I'll get the SARS-COV2 vaccine when available, if it looks to be effective. 

Regarding the shingles vaccine -- not really that effective, and doesn't stay active all that many years.  I've had shingles before (bring on the opiates), but not getting the vaccination. 

7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

"when asked about the likelihood of agreeing to get a safe and effective vaccine, the new survey shows some skepticism about being inoculated. One-quarter of Americans said they were not likely to get vaccinated, even if a safe and effective vaccine was developed."

It sounds as if Darwin will get a good crack at America. Surprisingly equally distributed across both tribes!

I am jacks complete lack of surprise considering this was a headline a few years back.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifestyle/viral-and-trending/140519/millions-of-americans-believe-chocolate-milk-comes-from-brown-cows.html

5 hours ago, tonyhays said:

You mean it doesn't?  Next you'll tell me the moon isn't made out of cheese and there's no such thing as the easter bunny.

5 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Regarding the shingles vaccine -- not really that effective, and doesn't stay active all that many years.  I've had shingles before (bring on the opiates), but not getting the vaccination. 

Your info is outdated. It sounds like you are referring to Zostavax. Shingrix is the newer vaccine of choice:

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/difference-between-zostavax-shingrix-3342576/

(edited)
5 hours ago, tonyhays said:

As well as the whole Elvis lives, flat earth and no global warming lines of thought. This study is counter to other scientific studies of trump, his gang of “falsehood flies, and the truth comes limping after it”. By study I mean anti vaccine supporters, anti-science bonds trump and his supporters together.

New study finds Trump’s tweets intensify anti-vaccine attitudes among his supporters

In addition surveys and studies have shown that the more trump tweets anti-vaccine B.S. the more democrats are driven to accept them.

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)
5 hours ago, headoverheels said:

I've been told by my wife that the only patient she ever has beg for death was one with postherpetic neuralgia. That is pain that lingers after the shingles blisters and rash clears up. It can be permanent and life altering. Even if the Shingrix vaccine does not always prevent shingles it lessens the occurrence of this condition and the duration of the attack by a considerable amount. It's duration of effectiveness is unknown at this time, it is too new. The older vaccine that you are probably familiar with needs to be taken every five years. Shingrix needs two shots a few months apart. Your earlier attack of shingles is thought to also provide about 5 years of protection. It also means that you are far more likely than most to get it again if you continue being alive.

Edited by gowlerk

On 5/12/2020 at 10:43 PM, Westerly said:

That's fine, a shorter line for me then. Stupid people are stupid. None of this is new news. Based on recent Facebook posts, it seems half the people out there think Covid is all bullshit and nothing more than a flu anyway so it's not like we're dealing with intelligent, well-informed people here anyway.

You pretty much just called the two smartest people I know here, "Not well informed", and "Stupid".

One is a physics Professor, and the other worked for NASA.

I believe the people here are 90% more well informed than 95% of the population.

Just sayin'

37 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

You pretty much just called the two smartest people I know here, "Not well informed", and "Stupid".

One is a physics Professor, and the other worked for NASA.

I believe the people here are 90% more well informed than 95% of the population.

Just sayin'

Here as in on this site? Kallend and Wendy both just said they would get the Covid vaccine.

(edited)
3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Second round - 

Wendy said that, Kallend didn't. Kallend also specifically said that Covid isn't like the flu - meaning that what he said and what Westerly said tally up pretty much perfectly. Also, to me Wendy saying she'd wait until the second round by no means puts her among the anti-vaxxer league.

Edited by jakee

I’m absolutely not in the anti-vaxxer league (dang — spell checks first attempt at correction made that anti-baddest!). I just prefer not to be on the leading edge for some things, like software upgrades for essential equipment, life-saving devices, and vaccines. If I had to be (eg living with immune compromised person), just watch me push Dr John out of the way for that first shot!

Wendy P. 

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I’m absolutely not in the anti-vaxxer league (dang — spell checks first attempt at correction made that anti-baddest!). I just prefer not to be on the leading edge for some things, like software upgrades for essential equipment, life-saving devices, and vaccines. If I had to be (eg living with immune compromised person), just watch me push Dr John out of the way for that first shot!

Wendy P. 

Dr. John at the 2007 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival

This Dr. John?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

^I'm in agreement with this.

I know that virus vaccines are well understood. I realize that there are vaccines currently available for a couple strains of coronavirus. 
However, the fact that they are going to rush this one makes me a bit wary.

They aren't going to do a full slate of testing. I understand that most of that testing is to establish the effectiveness and duration of the vaccine. But some of it is for safety. I remember Thalidomide. 

I'm likely going to wait a bit for my dose. There are lots and lots of other people who need it more than I do, so I will 'graciously' allow them first shot at it (pun intended).

If, after a couple months, none of them have anything odd happen, like transforming into a duck, then I'll go for it. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:38 PM, gowlerk said:

Get the shingles vaccine. Shingles can lead to a condition that will make you feel your life is not worth living. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you.

I've gotten it at the Walmart Pharmacy.  It was cheap.

I had a mild case of it about 15 years ago.  Trust me.  You don't want it.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, airdvr said:

That was the problem in 1976.  Quite a few people died from the vaccine.  Ooops!

I’m in an at risk category, despite only being 40. Fingers crossed they don’t fuck up too badly this time.

While, like Wendy I’d prefer to wait for more thorough testing, this virus would probably kill me if I catch it, or at the very least put me on a ventilator. Even a normal cold gives me severe bronchitis every time, sometimes multiple times a year... my lungs are shot.  
Because of that I’ll be getting it early. Maybe not immediately - I can work from home for a while and mitigate my risk by continuing the measures in place, but certainly in the first issue of the vaccine.

If I was healthy I probably wouldn’t.

Edited by yoink