chuteshack

National Phantom diaper

i seem to recall that many moons ago ,National  changed the diaper on the Phantom reserve.anyone know what the change was? pictures?  yes  i know the phantoms are over 20 years old and should be grounded.. blah blah blah......

Edited by chuteshack
spelling

1 March 1986, National Parachute Industries issued a Service Bulletin requiring replacing the deployment diapers on all previously made Phantom round reserves. Both diapers were Type 3 Asquito diapers with two locking loops and all suspension lines stowed horizontally on the diaper. The first-pattern diaper was sized to the width of Warp III and PEPs. After a few pre-mature deployments/line dump, National changed to a narrower diaper. National mailed out hundreds of replacement diapers and they had to be sewn on by a Master Rigger. Packing procedures were pretty much the same.

The diaper SB was after a National Service Bulletin called for adding Kevlar horizontal reinforcing bands, but before the acid mesh recall. During the 1990s, I tested thousands of round reserves suspected of containing acid mesh. By 2010, I refused to repack Phantoms or any other round reserve built during the acid-mesh era (early 1980s).

Rob,  a bit off topic, but you did the diaper and kevlar mods on my 28' Phantom while you were working for Manley up at Cal City. I still have it and its packed in a Warp 3 container for storage. When it was recalled for possible acid mesh I went to a square reserve and a new Vector.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:37 PM, jimjumper said:

Rob,  a bit off topic, but you did the diaper and kevlar mods on my 28' Phantom while you were working for Manley up at Cal City. I still have it and its packed in a Warp 3 container for storage. When it was recalled for possible acid mesh I went to a square reserve and a new Vector.

I use a 1980's acid mesh era Phantom 28' as a main for folks wanting to jump a round.  On three ring risers with dbag and throw out PC. Fit's in middle sized containers, it usually goes in their own rig.  Dig it out and jump it!