1 1
leafspawn

RAPS Jumps

Hi guys,

I'm now finally in a position to start learning to get my A licence in the UK (once were not grounded by Boris anymore and its safe to do so)
I've made my mind up to go through the RAPS course due to the cost of individual jumps being alot less the AFF
Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant seem to find any info on it so just a couple of question

How many jumps does it take on average above the minimum to complete the RAPS course?
How often do they get called off because of the weather, I'll be able to jump twice a month,  sometimes maybe 3 times depending on work
How long can you go between jumps as a student to keep current in the UK and what happens if you go over that period, do you have to start again from the beginning?

Thanks guys

I can't answer you on the technical RAPS side of things because I've never done a RAPS jump. However, as far as jumping in the UK getting called off due to the weather is concerned, it's the old 'how long is a piece of string' scenario. The weather here is fickle, to say the least. If we weren't shut down at present, we would have been jumping almost continuously since late March. Prior to that, the 2020 weather was awful for jumping. Having said that, provided you can pick and choose your days off, and the DZ you jump at is open during those days, you should be able to manage your 2-3 days per month without too much problem. The only wisdom I can pass on insofar as RAPS is concerned, is that I've met several jumpers who started off doing RAPS and then converted to AFF. Without exception, they regretted spending their hard earned on RAPS. You should be able to get more technical info from your local DZ regarding currency etc. Note; Not all UK DZ's offer RAPS courses.

22 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

Oh, and remember, RAPS is parachuting, not skydiving. You won't get a BPA 'A' licence by doing RAPS, and neither do RAPS jumps give you any 'credit' towards AFF levels. 

Absolutely incorrect. I went through RAPS along with several other people I know. I am now a BPA 'C' licence holder.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:07 PM, leafspawn said:

How many jumps does it take on average above the minimum to complete the RAPS course?

The minimum is 18 jumps, I took slightly more at 24 jumps, other people I know took between 18 and 40 jumps. The level repeat & drop out rate is higher than AFF, but if you make few mistakes it's a lot cheaper overall.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:07 PM, leafspawn said:

if you go over that period, do you have to start again from the beginning?

No, you will need a refresh of emergency procedures. Currency for a student is valid for 30 days if I remember correctly. It's all in the BPA Ops Manual: https://britishskydiving.org/wp-content/uploads/archive/Operarions-Manual-1984.pdf

5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Absolutely incorrect. I went through RAPS along with several other people I know. I am now a BPA 'C' licence holder.

The minimum is 18 jumps, I took slightly more at 24 jumps, other people I know took between 18 and 40 jumps. The level repeat & drop out rate is higher than AFF, but if you make few mistakes it's a lot cheaper overall.

No, you will need a refresh of emergency procedures. Currency for a student is valid for 30 days if I remember correctly. It's all in the BPA Ops Manual: https://britishskydiving.org/wp-content/uploads/archive/Operarions-Manual-1984.pdf

I won't dispute that some skydivers jumpers start off on RAPS. You will see if you read my first post, that I have quoted feedback I received from the few that I know of - i.e. they consider that they wasted their money doing RAPS. However, as I have said, and I stand by this, RAPS is NOT skydiving, it is parachuting. Other than canopy handling skills, which you get with AFF in any case, you learn virtually zip about freefall doing RAPS. The initial posting said that the poster wanted to get their A Licence but would rather do RAPS due to the cost. Well, they won't get their BPA Skydiver A  licence doing RAPS jumps.  Blues.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Bokdrol said:

Well, they won't get their BPA Skydiver A  licence doing RAPS jumps.

I got my BPA A licence doing RAPS.

To clarify, I did NOT change to AFF at any point, and have never done any AFF jumps.

Edited by olofscience
  • Like 1

(edited)

Well, they won't get their BPA Skydiver A  licence doing RAPS jumps.

@ bokdrol: Like with a static line or IAD progression in North America, it does lead to getting licensed, even if static line or IAD alone is not the only thing one has to do. You're trying to be misleading. If you really don't like RAPS as a progression method, fine.

Your statement is like saying, "You can't become a Commercial pilot by getting a Private pilot's license." Because, duh, you also need a Commercial license after the Private.

Moving along now.

[Edit: And the British poster above is clarifying that RAPS seems to encompass the whole progression system to a license, not just the actual initial RAPS jumps. Just like 'static line progression' includes freefall jumps with coaches or instructors past the initial static line jumps.]

Edited by pchapman
  • Like 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, pchapman said:

Like with a static line or IAD progression in North America, it does lead to getting licensed, even if it alone is not the only thing one has to do. You're trying to be misleading. If you really don't like RAPS as a progression method, fine.

Your statement is like saying, "You can't become a Commercial pilot by getting a Private pilot's license." Because, duh, you also need a Commercial license after the Private.

Moving along now.

Fair comments from both of you  - I'll wind my neck in!! 

Edited by Bokdrol
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pchapman said:

[Edit: And the British poster above is clarifying that RAPS seems to encompass the whole progression system to a license, not just the actual initial RAPS jumps. Just like 'static line progression' includes freefall jumps with coaches or instructors past the initial static line jumps.]

That's correct, the preferred term is actually "Static Line Progression System", but just calling it RAPS is still quite popular. It starts off with several static line deployment jumps then progresses into freefall.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, olofscience said:

The level repeat & drop out rate is higher than AFF

The drop out rate depends how you look at it.  How many AFF jumpers are still in the sport 3 months after they complete their course?  The drop-out rate is huge, if it wasn't parachute centres would very quickly be over-run when you see how many are trained each week. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neilmck said:

The drop out rate depends how you look at it.  How many AFF jumpers are still in the sport 3 months after they complete their course?  The drop-out rate is huge, if it wasn't parachute centres would very quickly be over-run when you see how many are trained each week. 

You are quite right there. An instructor I know estimated that only about 30% of his students were still jumping a year after obtaining their A. However, very few actually drop out of the AFF course itself - probably as few as or even fewer than 1 in 50.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:48 AM, Bokdrol said:

However, very few actually drop out of the AFF course itself - probably as few as or even fewer than 1 in 50.

Probably because so many prepay these days. In the days when we sold the jumps individually the drop out rate was the vast majority of students.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:48 AM, Bokdrol said:

You are quite right there. An instructor I know estimated that only about 30% of his students were still jumping a year after obtaining their A. However, very few actually drop out of the AFF course itself - probably as few as or even fewer than 1 in 50.

I would guess that a lot of that has to do with next big cost of sticking with the sport... Gear.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, nate_1979 said:

I would guess that a lot of that has to do with next big cost of sticking with the sport... Gear.

That's one factor. 

I've told prospective students (on here & in person) that a good place to 'put your feet' is to plan on spending about $10k (USD) to get from first jump to licensed & fully equipped. 

Another factor is being the 'new guy' and finding people to jump with (different rules about that in the US vs UK).

• Like 1