4 4
SkyDekker

The US is a Banana Republic

34 minutes ago, tonyhays said:

Back on topic, Esper fired and Barr announces DOJ probe into voter fraud.  

I think we all know where this is headed

Very soon it will get to the point where McConnell will need to tell the POTUS that if he does not start acting honorably he will be in danger of a rapid impeachment. 

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Very soon it will get to the point where McConnell will need to tell the POTUS that if he does not start acting honorably he will be in danger of a rapid impeachment. 

Against the prospect of revenge by a vindictive moron with 71 million acolytes? Maybe he has that level of integrity but I haven't seen it. The only hope is if his republican enablers realize that the integrity of our elections is what keeps them at the trough.

5 hours ago, tonyhays said:

Back on topic, Esper fired and Barr announces DOJ probe into voter fraud.  

I think we all know where this is headed

And the Trump appointee in control of government admin is refusing to give the Biden team access to transition funds and infrastructure because she doesn't think the election result is clear yet. Riiiiight.

7 hours ago, jakee said:

And the Trump appointee in control of government admin is refusing to give the Biden team access to transition funds and infrastructure because she doesn't think the election result is clear yet. Riiiiight.

Also, Biden is not being provided with the daily national security briefing he should be getting to ensure he is aware of threats to the country when he takes over.  Of course, the biggest threat right now is Trump and everybody with any sense already knows that.

The ones listed above are just the top ones. Many other signs the US is a Banana Republic:

GOP Operative new NSA General Counsel

Gingrich says Barr should arrest PA poll workers and have state throw out results

Trump vaccine czar labelled a contractor so he can financially benefit.

Arkansas Police chief calls for bullets in heads of democrats

Texas top law enforcement officer accused by his top aides of bribery 7 years ago. Subsequently indicted by grand jury 6 years ago. Still not gone to trial.

the list goes on and on and on and on........

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

The ones listed above are just the top ones. Many other signs the US is a Banana Republic:

GOP Operative new NSA General Counsel

Gingrich says Barr should arrest PA poll workers and have state throw out results

Trump vaccine czar labelled a contractor so he can financially benefit.

Arkansas Police chief calls for bullets in heads of democrats

Texas top law enforcement officer accused by his top aides of bribery 7 years ago. Subsequently indicted by grand jury 6 years ago. Still not gone to trial.

Remember when all the MAGA crowd was saying the Mueller investigation was a "coup"?  Another tick in the projection column.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgq8nd/mike-pompeo-american-secretary-of-state-said-there-will-be-a-smooth-transition-to-a-trump-second-term

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

I had serious doubts that this was true. in the age of disinformation I'm skeptical of such stories after all he is the former speaker of the house. But like McConnell it seems as if the GOP may have gone full banana.

"In an interview on Fox News on Thursday night, the host Sean Hannity and Gingrich discussed the Trump campaign's lawsuits in Michigan, Georgia, and Pennsylvania, filed as Joe Biden took the lead in several battleground states.

"The Philadelphia machine is corrupt. The Atlanta machine is corrupt. The machine in Detroit is corrupt. And they are trying to steal the presidency. And we should not allow them to do that," Gingrich responded.

In reality, no charge has been brought or civil lawsuit filed to suggest that any poll workers are "corrupt."

But Gingrich continued. "First of all, under federal law, we should lock up the people who are breaking the law," he said. "You stop somebody from being an observer, you just broke federal law. You hide and put up papers so nobody can see what you're doing? You just broke federal law. You bring in ballots that aren't real? You just broke federal law."

Its no wonder with FOX as the mouthpiece the GOP keeps its base ignorant and ready to follow blindly.

I have been wondering for years how bizarre the political system of u.s. and its inhabitants as voters for said system could be (as perceived from the outside) - what happens now defies any possible description...
Over here we thought that silvio berlusconi  (former leader of italy) and his followers were bizarre beyond belief. I remember being relieved when that spooky episode had an end (not that it had any real impact on my life)... I can not imagine what it feels like to be a u.s. citizen dealing with the beginning aftermath of 4 years of MAGA....

Edited by feuergnom
spelling

12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

In the last 24 hours 3 out of the top 4 positions at DOD have been fired and replaced by Trump loyalists.

Something ugly is brewing. Something Banana Republic style.

Surely if a major war erupts suddenly, it would be deemed wise by the administration to not "change horses in mid-stream."

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

It is clear that the American right wing in the form of the GOP has been corrupted to the point that they see retaining power as a higher goal than defending democracy. 

Retaining power is their only goal; Democracy is just an obstacle to them.

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

In the last 24 hours 3 out of the top 4 positions at DOD have been fired and replaced by Trump loyalists.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/11/10/politics/pentagon-policy-official-resigns/index.html

Yes, and it is beginning to look more and more like the way a "shithole country" holds "elections". Actually I will take that back a little. The elections, several separate in each state, were held and run remarkably well. With none of the fears of violence and intimidation coming true. It is only the Trump people who are trying to turn the US into a shithole. I still think American democracy is too strong to turn. But good grief, WTF?

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

It may be brewing, but it almost certainly won't come to pass.

I said this somewhere else (maybe?) in the last day or so.

Last summer, when Trump wanted to use federal troops against US civilian protesters, the top military officials (not appointed civilians) said no.
They had sworn an oath to the COUNTRY and the Constitution, not to the President.

Despite what Trump and his minions might want to do, I would expect to see the military refuse. And perhaps even see the Secret Service arrest him. The Service is incredibly loyal to the President, but that sort of loyalty only goes so far. Trump has treated them like shit. If he does something really stupid, I wouldn't be surprised to see them stop it.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Despite what Trump and his minions might want to do, I would expect to see the military refuse. And perhaps even see the Secret Service arrest him. The Service is incredibly loyal to the President, but that sort of loyalty only goes so far. Trump has treated them like shit. If he does something really stupid, I wouldn't be surprised to see them stop it.

The SS is already fed up the the moron exposing them to senseless risk:

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/06/920849439/secret-service-agents-frustrated-with-trumps-unnecessary-coronavirus-risks

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

The Praetorian Guard  assassinated Caligula  in A.D. 41. Among others, the Guard or their prefect also played a part in the murder of Commodus in 192, Caracalla in 217, Elagabalus in 222 and Pupienus and Balbinus in 238

4 minutes ago, kallend said:

The Praetorian Guard  assassinated Caligula  in A.D. 41. Among others, the Guard or their prefect also played a part in the murder of Commodus in 192, Caracalla in 217, Elagabalus in 222 and Pupienus and Balbinus in 238

Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her body guards. Somewhat more recently.

7 hours ago, tonyhays said:

somehow this all resembles the stories of the last days in the führerbunker featuring a lunatic dictator running amok and nobody daring to step up to end the madness

and if godwins law should be applicable to my answer that would end this discussion, wouldn't it?

4 hours ago, feuergnom said:

somehow this all resembles the stories of the last days in the führerbunker featuring a lunatic dictator running amok and nobody daring to step up to end the madness

and if godwins law should be applicable to my answer that would end this discussion, wouldn't it?

Technically true, but Mike Godwin himself said that his 'law' doesn't apply in this situation.

There are stories floating around that his aides are simply 'going with it' and allowing him to continue to believe he won and will stay in office. 
You know, the same way you'd humor a senile older relative.