turtlespeed

Murder Hornets

I had just finished watching a documentary ( (Last Sunday) incruding how the Japanese Honey Bees have a defense against these creatures, and Boom - There they are in the news "Invading the US".

The US doesn't need any more damage done to its Bee population.

Are any other countries being affected by this?

I'm hoping that they can be managed because bees need help.

"Unlike their Asian kin, European honeybees do not respond to the scent marker or form bee balls; they are at the mercy of V. mandarinia unless humans step in. Beekeepers can help by installing entrance traps over the doorways of managed hives that have holes large enough for a bee to pass through but not a hornet. Beekeepers may also put out baited traps to lure the hornets to their death. “Beekeepers in Asia do use entrance traps,” says Jeff Pettis, former research leader at the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s bee lab in Beltsville, Md. “Additionally, labor is often cheap, so some use mechanical means—most often tennis rackets, really—to swat the large hornets as they come to the hives.”

7 Invasive Species That Have Wreaked Havoc in the US

6 minutes ago, normiss said:

I liked that. Reminds me of the video's of divers in the Florida Keys shoveling speared Lion fish into bags.

About ten years ago a dragonfly landed on my hand and in his grasp was a large hornet, freshly caught. The dragonfly, about 4" wingspan, then proceeded to eat the hornet, 1/2 inch long. With each bite that the dragonfly took out of the body of the hornet there was a quite audible crunching noise. It took 4-5 minutes for the upper part of the hornet to be consumed. Then it flew away.

We need to eradicate the bees. They are dangerous and every chance I get I kill as many as I can find. Not sure about the numbers but doing a quick search, according to (the) "CDC recorded 1,109 deaths" from bee stings. Those insects have to be eliminated. Many people live in fear of being stung by them. For the life of me I don't know why people want more of those disgusting creatures around.

End bee tyranny now.

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

We need to eradicate the bees. They are dangerous and every chance I get I kill as many as I can find. Not sure about the numbers but doing a quick search, according to (the) "CDC recorded 1,109 deaths" from bee stings. Those insects have to be eliminated. Many people live in fear of being stung by them. For the life of me I don't know why people want more of those disgusting creatures around.

Bees kill more people than COVID.  (Didn't look it up but it feels right, and I want to get a haircut.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, muff528 said:

I'm not gonna worry about the murder hornets until the honeybees start buying up all the toilet paper.

I've never seen a honeybee in a commercial or corporate bathroom, so I'm doubtful they will see a 75% market shift of the product like humans did.

3 hours ago, normiss said:

I've never seen a honeybee in a commercial or corporate bathroom, so I'm doubtful they will see a 75% market shift of the product like humans did.

Bees never use commercial toilet paper. Too rough, and it snags their stingers. I think most bees work from home anyway, so when the hoarders start hoarding they'll get it all.

1 hour ago, muff528 said:

Bees never use commercial toilet paper. Too rough, and it snags their stingers. I think most bees work from home anyway, so when the hoarders start hoarding they'll get it all.

They really suck at social distancing in the hive.